Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Connecting a G3 iBook 500 Dual USB to a Dell 2005FPW

Connecting a G3 iBook 500 Dual USB to a Dell 2005FPW
b1NARY73
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 14, 2006, 12:58 AM

I bought this iBook used..... what kind of connector do I need to connect this iBook to an external monitor? I did a search for this and yielded no results. Thanks in advance.
 Macbook Pro 17" / 2.5GHZ Intel Core 2 Duo / 4GB Ram / 350GB
 Macbook Pro 17" / 2.16GHZ Intel Core Duo / 2GB Ram / 120GB
 Macbook Black / 2.4GHZ Intel Core 2 Duo / 4GB Ram / 350GB

Will C
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 14, 2006, 04:49 AM

Originally Posted by b1NARY73
I bought this iBook used..... what kind of connector do I need to connect this iBook to an external monitor? I did a search for this and yielded no results. Thanks in advance.
You'll need an Apple VGA adaptor, (iBooks normally come with one - ask the seller if he/she forgot it) but you can buy them from Apple, I can't find it on the US site but it is this one:-

http://store.apple.com/Apple/WebObje...030&nplm=M8639

HTH

d4nth3m4n
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 28, 2006, 12:34 AM

you need more than that, you need something to convert the analog vga signal to a digital dvi signal, expect to spend about $300 on this and get limited resolutions.

long story short- you can't connect it.

edit: your title and your post conflict, this is for the 2005fpw specifically.

fibroptikl
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 28, 2006, 02:54 AM

Originally Posted by d4nth3m4n
you need more than that, you need something to convert the analog vga signal to a digital dvi signal, expect to spend about $300 on this and get limited resolutions.

Not really, there are VGA and DVI input's on the 2005 and 2405.

Hi I'm Ben
Mac Elite
Mar 28, 2006, 09:43 AM

Originally Posted by d4nth3m4n

While you're incredibly wrong on this because as the poster above me said, it does have a VGA input and the adapter can be purchased from the apple store for $20. Your iBook will run like hell on that size of a monitor. It's far too old and with the 16mb vram split into 8 and 8... I'd be really surprised if it supported 1680x1050.

Also you will need to use the iBook Spanning hack to make it work with those resolutions. Just google iBook spanning.

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Mar 28, 2006, 02:42 PM

Also wrong.

That iBook model cannot do screen spanning, even with a hack. That one is hardware-limited by its Rage 128 chip's configuration to mirroring only, so the external display will only mirror the internal at 1024x768.

And yeah, needing to convert from VGA to DVI is nonsense and completely unnecessary.

tooki

d4nth3m4n
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 28, 2006, 03:23 PM

Originally Posted by fibroptikl
Not really, there are VGA and DVI input's on the 2005 and 2405.
wow, i had no idea. sorry then. i don't spend a lot of time here, but for a while there, there were posts all over the place about connecting iBooks to cinema displays. figured this was congruent.

why do people buy apple displays again? these dell displays seem to be quite the bargain.

Will C
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 28, 2006, 04:37 PM

Originally Posted by tooki
Also wrong.

That iBook model cannot do screen spanning, even with a hack. That one is hardware-limited by its Rage 128 chip's configuration to mirroring only, so the external display will only mirror the internal at 1024x768.

And yeah, needing to convert from VGA to DVI is nonsense and completely unnecessary.

tooki
Does SwitchRes offer more resolutions for the iBook external like you can do on an iMac DV where if you set it to 1280x960 the built in display switches off (or perhaps gives up?)

Just asking if anyone knows for sure.

nJm
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 28, 2006, 10:47 PM

Nup, I've never been able to disable the internal screen on my iBook. I'd like to as mine struggles a bit powering a 19" widescreen LCD, it would be nice if I could just use all 32mb of my vram on the external monitor, but so far I've had no luck getting the clamshell mode in the screen spanning hack to work. I end up with the internal LCD being off but the external monitor only showing the secondary desktop, so there are no menus to change the display options.
MBP 2.16ghz 15"
iMac G5 1.6Ghz 17"
Powermac 7200/120

MrK
Forum Regular
Mar 30, 2006, 12:05 AM

Um, I have an iBook G4 1.2 ghz and that very Dell display at work. You need the $20 adapter and... a newer iBook. Even my machine has a problem driving that display all day. It gets hot and sluggish and after an hour the fan stays on. I don't use anything bigger than a 1280 x 1024 external with it for that reason, although Screen Spanning Doctor does wonders to make this iBook as usable as my old 867 G4 Powerbook 12".

Forum Links
Forum Rules