Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Ibook G4 Freezing on Tiger Install... Any ideas?

Ibook G4 Freezing on Tiger Install... Any ideas?
b1NARY73
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 26, 2007, 06:26 PM

I got this iBook a few days ago for my son, and it has been working fine until I decided to upgrade to OSX 10.4. For some reason it freezes during the install. I tried using the original Installation discs that came with the iBook and I get the same thing. STRANGE!!! I was told it was a bad RAM chip, but it only has the onbord chip so I had nothing to replace.
Apple Hardware test passes with flying colors, I have reset the PMU to no avail....Kinda at a loss here. Oh, I have tried booting into Single User mode and installing that way as well...no dice. Any ideas or insight would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
 Macbook Pro 17" / 2.5GHZ Intel Core 2 Duo / 4GB Ram / 350GB
 Macbook Pro 17" / 2.16GHZ Intel Core Duo / 2GB Ram / 120GB
 Macbook Black / 2.4GHZ Intel Core 2 Duo / 4GB Ram / 350GB

ibook_steve
Mar 26, 2007, 06:50 PM

When you say it "freezes," what actually happens (frozen cursor, frozen screen, frozen status bar) at what point in the install process and how long do you wait to see if it will complete?

Steve

b1NARY73  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 26, 2007, 08:14 PM

Here is a pic. It freezes on the actual OS Installation. I have let it sit overnight.... and nothing changes. Thanks.

mfbernstein
Senior User
Mar 26, 2007, 08:47 PM

So you've tried an install with 2 different sets of media, and both hang midway through? Do you hear any particular noise from the DVD drive or hard drive at the point where it hangs? Does the machine feel particularly hot at that point (I assume you can still move the mouse then?)?

Usually I'd assume one of the following (in order of likelihood): bad media, bad hard drive, bad RAM or bad optical drive. Despite AHT's clean bill of health, if you can somehow get ahold of memtest and do a run overnight (3 passes or so, preferably after booting in single-user mode), that'd be an excellent way to stress out both the RAM and the processor. If it reports an error or hangs, it'd be a fair sign of motherboard/memory problems.

b1NARY73  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 26, 2007, 09:21 PM

Thanks, I ran memtest already, clean bill of health there as well. I looked at my media, and strange enough, they are clean as well. Funny thing is, it was running like a champ with Panther... I just went ahead and was going to use the last license on my Tiger family pack on this so we were all running the same OS. I am going to try and Nuke the drive again, and start over tonight. Keep any ideas coming that you may have. =D

b1NARY73  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 27, 2007, 12:33 AM

No Luck. About to sale this bad boy for parts.

Forum Links
Forum Rules