Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Art & Graphic Design > iMovie vs. Final Cut vs. Premier questions

iMovie vs. Final Cut vs. Premier questions
warnergt
Forum Regular
Jul 6, 2002, 10:19 AM

I've recently started digging in to iMovie. It's pretty good but, unless I am misunderstanding something, it lacks some really nice capabilities of Adobe Premiere. Also, I'm wondering if Final Cut Pro has these capabilities.

1) In iMovie, when you crop a clip, the cropped data is lost. Once you continue doing other stuff, this cropping process is irreversible. Premiere, on the other hand, allows specifying "in" and "out" points to determine how much of the clip is used. The original clip is unaltered. An unaltered clip is infinitely better for experimenting with transitions when you don't know up front how long of a transition you will use.

Is this correct? Does Final Cut Pro work more like Premiere?

2) Similarly, when I added text graphics, the text seems to become merged into the video. It looks like this is irreversible also (unless you do an undo immediately after performing the operation). It seems that if I add text to a clip, I can't pull it out later.

Is this also correct? (I may be misunderstanding the application). How does Final Cut Pro handle it?

I'm sure I will have more questions. These are the ones on my mind right now. I appreciate any insight into these concerns and the applications.

warnergt  (op)
Forum Regular
Jul 6, 2002, 10:25 AM

More questions:

1) Is there an OS X version of Adobe Premiere on the horizon?

2) My primary goal is making standard DVDs. Is Final Cut Pro overkill for this desire?

Also, I have a secondary goal of transferring 8 mm movies to digital video. Would Final Cut Pro provide some advantages toward this?

Worst. Episode. Ever.
Senior User
Jul 6, 2002, 10:49 AM

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">Originally posted by warnergt:
<strong>I've recently started digging in to iMovie. It's pretty good but, unless I am misunderstanding something, it lacks some really nice capabilities of Adobe Premiere. Also, I'm wondering if Final Cut Pro has these capabilities.</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">Yes, Final Cut Pro has the capabilities of Adobe Premiere. And then some.

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif"><strong>
1) In iMovie, when you crop a clip, the cropped data is lost. Once you continue doing other stuff, this cropping process is irreversible. Premiere, on the other hand, allows specifying "in" and "out" points to determine how much of the clip is used. The original clip is unaltered. An unaltered clip is infinitely better for experimenting with transitions when you don't know up front how long of a transition you will use.

Is this correct? Does Final Cut Pro work more like Premiere?</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">Yes, FCP is like Premier. Edits are merely reference points to media stored on your HD. FCP edits are non-destructive.
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif"><strong>
2) Similarly, when I added text graphics, the text seems to become merged into the video. It looks like this is irreversible also (unless you do an undo immediately after performing the operation). It seems that if I add text to a clip, I can't pull it out later.

Is this also correct? (I may be misunderstanding the application). How does Final Cut Pro handle it?</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">In FCP, graphics and text elements are place on their own video layers, similiar to the way compositions are handled in Photoshop.

In a nutshell, Final Cut Pro is NOTHING like iMovie. Comparing iMovie to FCP would be like comparing a go-cart to a Ferarri.

crazycylon
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 6, 2002, 11:31 AM

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">Originally posted by warnergt:
<strong>
1) In iMovie, when you crop a clip, the cropped data is lost. Once you continue doing other stuff, this cropping process is irreversible. Premiere, on the other hand, allows specifying "in" and "out" points to determine how much of the clip is used. The original clip is unaltered. An unaltered clip is infinitely better for experimenting with transitions when you don't know up front how long of a transition you will use. </strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">A work around this is to just copy the clip from your shelf on to your timeline line. Then crop the clip on your time line. This way the original clip is still on shelf and you can experiment as much as you want. This should not be a problem in iMovie 2 since the shelf is unlimited. However iMovie 1 is another story.
As a man comes, so he departs.

Bruce O'Neal
Forum Regular
Jul 8, 2002, 07:54 AM

if you OPTION+Drag the clip from the shelf, you will still have a full copy of the clip in your bin. the iMovie application makes a copy and puts in in the timeline, but the original remains. i really like that feature.
"Define your own reality!"

andreas_g4
Professional Poster
Jul 8, 2002, 08:05 AM

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">Originally posted by Worst. Episode. Ever.:
<strong>In a nutshell, Final Cut Pro is NOTHING like iMovie. Comparing iMovie to FCP would be like comparing a go-cart to a Ferarri.</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">Well said...

Forum Links
Forum Rules