Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Art & Graphic Design > 8 mm movie to digital video

8 mm movie to digital video
warnergt
Forum Regular
Jul 6, 2002, 10:26 AM

Can a digital movie be made to match the frame rate of the original 8 mm movie for maximum quality and minimum size considerations? I'd be interested in any experiences transferring 8 mm movies to digital video.

Theodour
Forum Regular
Jul 8, 2002, 02:02 PM

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">Originally posted by warnergt:
<strong>Can a digital movie be made to match the frame rate of the original 8 mm movie for maximum quality and minimum size considerations? I'd be interested in any experiences transferring 8 mm movies to digital video.</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">I think you can do it if you are going to play your movie on the computer, but if you put it in a DVD player or VCR, than you are stuck with NTSC or PAL standards.

In general, I've found that home movies look just fine on DV. That is, their frame rate looks the same. Remember that you are capturing at almost twice the rate of 8mm, so you might even be capturing the perceived frame rate.

direktor
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 9, 2002, 12:13 AM

Of course you can transfer 8mm to video...but once you transfer the video to a computer it would be difficult or impossible to remove the rendundant frames/fields to wind up with your 18fps that the 8mm had originally.

This is assuming you transfer the 8mm to video on a professional telecine in the first place...see <a href="http://www.super8sound.com" target="_blank">http://www.super8sound.com</a>

If you transfer by projecting on a wall, and video taping that, then you'll have a whole nuther batch of problems/artifacts from the mistmatch of 18fps and the projectors multi-bladed shutter vs. the 30frame/60 field nature of video. In short, it will look like poo.

warnergt  (op)
Forum Regular
Jul 9, 2002, 04:08 PM

direktor:

Thanks for the excellent link. It is exactly what I have been looking for. I just wish they were in the U.S.; it would be a little easier. Nonetheless, I will investigate it.

Simon X
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 9, 2002, 07:37 PM

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">Originally posted by warnergt:
<strong>Can a digital movie be made to match the frame rate of the original 8 mm movie for maximum quality and minimum size considerations? I'd be interested in any experiences transferring 8 mm movies to digital video.</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">Here is a thread from a while back, <a href="http://forums.macnn.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=9;t=002663" target="_blank">8 mm film to DV -- how?</a>

I posted some info there which you might find useful, as well as the other posts too.

However to add some specific info to you question, "Can a digital movie be made to match the frame rate of the original 8 mm movie..." The answer depends. Video is 25fps PAL & 29.97fps NTSC, whilst most super8 and most cine formats are 24fps, the standard film frame rate. However many people tend to shoot 18fps so the film last longer. Though I wouldn't worry to much about this as a good telecine house/service should transfer this to dv without problem.

Forum Links
Forum Rules