Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > Networking problems with new PB

Networking problems with new PB
Jim di Griz
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 28, 2002, 08:05 PM

Recently took possession of new TiPb, was very happy, untill I tried to connect to my ISP via a cable modem.

Did System Preferences->Network->Built-in Ethernet->Using DHCP->Apply Now then started up IE and 'Unable to find server' error.

Checked back to the settings and for some reason the IP Address, instead of being (Provided by DHCP Server) has (Self Assigned) under it ???!!!

Tried to connect with my Windows Desktop machine with the same equipment and no problem, so I know the modem and cable are OK

Connected the laptop and the desktop to each other with a patch cable and transfered files between them OK, so I assume the actual ethernet socket is OK

Have contacted my ISP (Ntl in the UK) and they walked me through the settings though they don't officially support OS X, stilll same message.

Have contacted AppleCare, they too were stumped.
So now I'm open to suggestions?

Usama's Carcase
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 29, 2002, 04:49 AM

I assume you're using an ethernet-based cable modem. correct?

power down your cable modem, i.e., turn it off and unplug it. shut down your Macintosh, but make sure that 'built-in ethernet' is active, set to dhcp, and in the first position in the network ports list. just drag it to the top. now shut down the Mac. Let it sit for a few minutes. make sure the Mac and cable modem are connected via a standard ethernet cable (not crossover).

now turn on the cable modem. let it cycle to ready. start up your Mac. This should do it.

I come back to you now, at the turn of the tide.

ghporter
Administrator
Dec 1, 2002, 09:03 PM

If Usama's advice didn't help, let us know. Some cable providers will only let you hook up one network card to their modem, and if you want to hook up a different one you have to call them and give them the hardware address (the MAC address-it stands for Media Access Control) of the new card. There's a way around this, but it's not worth discussing if the previous advice fixed your problem.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Forum Links
Forum Rules