Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > What features are you most looking forward to in Tiger

View Poll Results: What feature are you most looking forward to in Tiger?
Poll Options:
Spotlight 128 votes (31.92%)
Dashboard 91 votes (22.69%)
New Safari RSS 9 votes (2.24%)
New Mail 35 votes (8.73%)
New iChat AV 22 votes (5.49%)
Automater 23 votes (5.74%)
Voiceover 0 votes (0%)
System Preference's Parental Controls 3 votes (0.75%)
.Mac Systemwide Sync 12 votes (2.99%)
New Quicktime 18 votes (4.49%)
New Finder 28 votes (6.98%)
Other 32 votes (7.98%)
Voters: 401. You may not vote on this poll
What features are you most looking forward to in Tiger
iDriveX
Mac Elite
Mar 6, 2005, 04:04 PM

I'm really really looking foward to the new system wide sync features. I hope a lot of developer's jump on board with that. I won't be holding my breath but I hope intuit jumps on board and makes for a good sync with the Quicken data files. That would be great. Also especially looking forward to Mail Sync:

Mail Sync Image

What about you?

Version 4.0 - Now Powered By iWeb

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 6, 2005, 04:35 PM

f1000
Professional Poster
Mar 6, 2005, 05:02 PM

I guess it's a toss up for me between Safari and QuickTime. I'd love to see a faster Safari, but I'd also like to see QT with H.264.

Luckily, I won't have to choose.

Catfish_Man
Mac Elite
Mar 6, 2005, 07:00 PM

Toss up between Spotlight and other (new APIs/Developer Tools) for me... I think other wins though

andreas_g4
Professional Poster
Mar 6, 2005, 07:05 PM

New FInder, hands down.

Catfish_Man
Mac Elite
Mar 6, 2005, 07:15 PM

Other than spotlight integration... what exactly is new in the Finder? I haven't heard about anything...

mishakim
Forum Regular
Mar 6, 2005, 07:34 PM

my vote's for sync, because I can clearly see how it would benefit me, and I want it now. I'm sure spotlight will be great, and I'm the sort of person who will use such innovations, but if I had to choose one, sync's the one I know I need.

philm
Mac Elite
Mar 6, 2005, 07:40 PM

I love iChatAV - Video Conferencing That actually Works�. So for me, the four-way potential for the new version is really exciting.

paul w
Mac Elite
Mar 6, 2005, 08:46 PM

Spotlight! I'm so psyched about being lazy with folders.

And number 2... how about Automator? I'm looking forward to trying this out.

JMII
Forum Regular
Mar 7, 2005, 10:17 AM

Dashboard - even my wife who could careless about this kind of stuff wants to "play with the widgets"

Gankdawg
Professional Poster
Mar 7, 2005, 10:37 AM

I voted other. I just want the latest and greatest, hopefully Tiger will be Snappy!

I never use the search feature now, so I can't see a use for Spotlight. It looks way cool though.

I hope Safari gets a huge speed increase. Don't care about RSS.

I may try the new Mail - I hate the drawer in the current version.

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 7, 2005, 10:43 AM

dashboard followed very closely by spotlight.

i open sherlock so many times a day, and if it does get replaced by dashboard i will be *so* happy.

cpac
Professional Poster
Mar 7, 2005, 11:38 AM

Spotlight.

especially once more apps become spotlight-aware (so that I get Omniweb history matches or iBank transactions showing up in the results of a global search.

then probably a combo of Automator and Dashboard.

then maybe Mail.
cpac

JKT
Professional Poster
Mar 7, 2005, 12:47 PM

Core Image.

Having used the 30-day Motion trial as an indicator of what is to come, I'd say that this is easily the most important addition that will be in Tiger. It won't be obvious straight away as developers will need to integrate it into their apps, but the power it will offer in the future will hopefully be incredible.

The rest is just icing.

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 7, 2005, 01:01 PM

Originally posted by JKT:
The rest is just icing.
Spotlight isn't icing. It will revolutionise the way we use our computers.

waffffffle
Mac Elite
Mar 7, 2005, 04:59 PM

Other: Aggregated audio interfaces

Imagine using 10 iMics to get 20 inputs and 20 outputs. Oh the possibilities...

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Mar 7, 2005, 05:53 PM

Automator. The real power of Unix has never been in its programs, but in how they can be tied together. If Automator can at long last bring this kind of integration to the GUI in an easy to use manner, then it stands to give the already-powerful Mac interface a shot in the arm the likes of which has not been seen since AppleScript's introduction.
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 8, 2005, 12:19 AM

1) Spotlight. I've got hundreds of megabytes of PDF files, and indexing thru Acrobat is somewhat cumbersome. I'm hoping Spotlight will make that a thing of the past.

2) Stability - one can hope.

3) Overall speed - see #2.

4) Everything else...

omar96
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 8, 2005, 09:07 AM

Core Image. If Apple's done it right, then anyone with a G4 and a Radeon 9600/9700/9800 or GeForce FX series card will be in for some nice performance enhancements...
eMac 1.25GHz | 1.5GB PC2700 | 250GB Maxtor HDD | 8x LiteOn DVD+-RW

Sawtooth 1.5GHz | 1GB PC133 | 120GB Maxtor HDD | 40x CD-RW (external) | 16x DVD-ROM | Radeon 9800 Pro 128MB

Dog Like Nature
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 8, 2005, 12:40 PM

GPU-rendered UI.
╭1.5GHz G4 15" PB, 2.0GB RAM, 128MB VRAM, 100GB 7200rpm HD, AEBS, BT kbd
╰2.0GHz T2500 20" iMac, 1.5GB RAM, 128MB VRAM, 250GB 7200rpm HD

http://www.DogLikeNature.com/

CatOne
Mac Elite
Mar 8, 2005, 02:05 PM

Spotlight is rippin' fast.

Search PDFs is lightning fast, and mail search is as well... no more of this 1 minute to search all folders crap.

Dashboard looks pretty and will let me pull a couple widgets out of my menu bar, but that's about it.

leperkuhn
Senior User
Mar 8, 2005, 03:23 PM

for those of you that use quicksilver to open your apps, spotlight can be activated with the apple-spacebar shortcut.

I'm a database/web/used-to-be-cocoa developer. I can't wait to integrate widgets + web services.

Superchicken
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 8, 2005, 04:13 PM

My top one is CoreImage and CoreVideo, but my next up is Automator, then Mail 2, then Spotlight, then the new Quicktime, in general though I'm really looking forward to Tiger.

malique
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 9, 2005, 04:06 PM

So many of you are looking forward to Spotlight? I mean, it's a nice technology but how often per day do you actually SEARCH for something? Since I have Launchbar I don't see how Spotlight can make my life easier. In the rare case where I really search for contents inside a PDF I will be happy though. I can't remember it ever happened before. I keep my data quite clean and organised.

So for me the winner is: dashboard.

ɕɕɕ *°* for it is a human number. it's number is onethousandandtwentyfour. *°* ͋ƺ

Dual 1.8 // Dual Display // Dual Ears // Dual Nuts // Dual Everything

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Mar 9, 2005, 04:48 PM

By the same logic: How often do you need to check airline schedules rightnowimmediately?
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

ManOfSteal
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 9, 2005, 04:52 PM

[ X ] Eye Candy!

k2director
Senior User
Mar 9, 2005, 04:54 PM

Can't wait for QuickTime 7, and the new H.264 codec. Plus, system-wide synching.

And a PRAY for a new iSync that actually works with most Bluetooth enabled phones.

travism
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 9, 2005, 07:33 PM

Things I want to see are more of a UNIX approach to things. Netinfo is just garbage. (Well perhaps it serves *some* purpose but the commands are difficult to use). I'd like to see the layout of OS X be more BSD like as well as a true, Apple maintained or at least pushed ports system. Fink sucks and darwin ports has too few packages to be ready for prime time.

That's what I want to see. The other things don't really appeal to me. Spotlight just seems overkill...if you need to find something just use the 'locate' or 'whereis' command. They've been good enuogh for years.
UNIX guru

"I'd not even run X11 if not for the fact I like to browse webpages with color and images"

cpac
Professional Poster
Mar 9, 2005, 07:41 PM

Originally posted by travism:
Things I want to see are more of a UNIX approach to things. Netinfo is just garbage. (Well perhaps it serves *some* purpose but the commands are difficult to use). I'd like to see the layout of OS X be more BSD like as well as a true, Apple maintained or at least pushed ports system. Fink sucks and darwin ports has too few packages to be ready for prime time.

That's what I want to see. The other things don't really appeal to me. Spotlight just seems overkill...if you need to find something just use the 'locate' or 'whereis' command. They've been good enuogh for years.
ok

(1) this thread is about the announced Tiger features, not any old features you might want Apple to include at some point eventually. None of what you've asked for is an announced feature

(2) whereis and locate might work find for finding files via the terminal but this is not friendly for newbies, or even experienced mac users who despise the command line. More importantly, I don't believe either of these can search for terms *inside* documents like .pdfs and word, as well as emails, iCal appointments and the like. In short, you seem to be missing 99% of what makes Spotlight great.
cpac

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Mar 9, 2005, 07:57 PM

Originally posted by cpac:
(2) whereis and locate might work find for finding files via the terminal but this is not friendly for newbies, or even experienced mac users who despise the command line. More importantly, I don't believe either of these can search for terms *inside* documents like .pdfs and word, as well as emails, iCal appointments and the like. In short, you seem to be missing 99% of what makes Spotlight great.
More than that, files can come with all sorts of metadata, and most do. You can find all your pictures created last Christmas even if you neglected to put the word "Christmas" in their names. Locate just searches filenames for a given string. (And whereis has pretty much nothing to do with finding files. It finds programs in your executable path, which isn't something most people even want to do.)
Chuck
___

Superchicken
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 9, 2005, 08:17 PM

I'm looking forward to spotlight more for the smart folder thing than the search. That said, they really should make some way to add meta data to your files easier than adding em to iPhoto or something.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Mar 9, 2005, 08:36 PM

Originally posted by Superchicken:
I'm looking forward to spotlight more for the smart folder thing than the search. That said, they really should make some way to add meta data to your files easier than adding em to iPhoto or something.
Comments?
Chuck
___

Catfish_Man
Mac Elite
Mar 9, 2005, 09:56 PM

...locate
1) doesn't update on the fly
2) is ASCII
3) doesn't search metadata
4) doesn't support complex boolean searches (which the spotlight cli tool does)
5) doesn't have a nice API

travism
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 9, 2005, 10:12 PM

Spotlight sounds like something that may be useful but I just don't see how often I will need to do a more inclusive search than what a locate or whereis can already do for me.

I do agree the one thing I don't like about locate is that it isn't dynamically updated. However it is pretty fast, so that's a plus. I'm not trying to say locate is better or worse than spotlight. Just giving my two cent son what features I am most looking forward to in Tiger. I'm not personally thrilled about Tiger that much except some of the Darwin improvements and the rumors I've heard that Netinfo will be revamped or removed in favor of something else.
UNIX guru

"I'd not even run X11 if not for the fact I like to browse webpages with color and images"

Randman
Posting Junkie
Mar 9, 2005, 10:26 PM

For me, it'll be most everything. Taking OSX to the next step as opposed to one of two specific things.

But if pressed, spotlight will be good. And since I use Safari so much, a quicker and refined version will be nice. Automator will be good. And QT. And ...

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

Boondoggle
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 10, 2005, 07:29 AM

this was a hard choice... I'm excited about spotlight, but in reality I won't use it that much. Same for Automator. QT7 is big, I do a lot of iChatAV and the performance boost of the new codec will be nice... More pervasive synch is something I will use frequently.

I voted for Mail though, because that is something that 1. I use and rely on every day and 2. It seems like a really nice upgrade.

bd
1.25GHz PowerBook

i vostri seni sono spettacolari

travism
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 10, 2005, 12:23 PM

Originally posted by Boondoggle:
this was a hard choice... I'm excited about spotlight, but in reality I won't use it that much. Same for Automator. QT7 is big, I do a lot of iChatAV and the performance boost of the new codec will be nice... More pervasive synch is something I will use frequently.

I voted for Mail though, because that is something that 1. I use and rely on every day and 2. It seems like a really nice upgrade.

bd
Mail is a pretty nice application and could use some upgrades. I would love to see it work with gpg (if it does already, I haven't out how).

Automator seems like a good idea but I'm not so sure about it. What can it do that cron and scripting can't do? Other than be easier to use I can't think of anything. I wonder if it even uses cron and if automator is a front-end to a script editor (behind the scenes, transparent to the user) which relys on cron to do the work.

I didn't mention this in my earlier posts but the thing that I want to see most is the ACL. I'm really looking forward to this access control list for the single reason of curiousity. I'm just curious how different this will work than the Standard UNIX group method.
UNIX guru

Judge_Fire
Mac Elite
Mar 11, 2005, 03:00 AM

I'm looking forward to the 'Textbox for typing in arbitrary Spotlight comments in Save dialogs' - feature I requested from them some time ago.

Comments are already called 'Spotlight Comments' in Get Info, so I've got my fingers crossed.

With a little help.... http://www.apple.com/macosx/feedback/

J

Fonzie
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 11, 2005, 07:54 AM

Dashboard is most certainly at the top of my list of things I look forward to in Tiger. Oh how I love them widgets

Also Quicktime is up there, along with iChatAV- because maybe then I can ditch Adium and use a Jabber service instead. I dunno.

I really don't have that many files on my computer besides wallpapers and icons so Spotlight won't do anything for me I don't think. I will use it mainly as an app launcher.

And not many people send me pictures through Mail so all that hippely jibbely they can keep to themselves.
There's No Offposition On the Genius Switch - David Letterman

Mithras
Professional Poster
Mar 11, 2005, 09:18 AM

I'm looking forward to the PDF annotation tools in Preview, plus PDFKit for a new bevy of PDF organizing apps.

jasong
Mac Elite
Mar 11, 2005, 09:58 AM

I'm looking forward to 2+ years of people complaining about what Apple didn't do, what they broke, online petitions to get it fixed, threats of class action lawsuits, Apple bashing, and Apple apologizing. Oh yeah, and Spotlight.

-- Jason

Goldfinger
Professional Poster
Mar 11, 2005, 01:31 PM

I'm really looking forward to Spotlight but I'm a bit afraid of it as well. I'm afraid that it will give all kinds of results that are completely irrelevant to certain search queries and that it won't always work as advertised, there is a big difference between a Keynote presentation and the real world. Wait and see I guess.
Core image/video sounds interesting too but my machine doesn't support it (Radeon Mobility 9000).

iMac 20" C2D 2.16 | Acer Aspire One | Flickr

leperkuhn
Senior User
Mar 11, 2005, 01:47 PM

search folders in mail. Be so nice to have all my flagged messages that are in different mailboxes show up in 1 place.

(currently i have a folder for each customer, but i frequently flag messages for later review and forget about them.. bah)

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Mar 11, 2005, 02:50 PM

Originally posted by Goldfinger:
I'm really looking forward to Spotlight but I'm a bit afraid of it as well. I'm afraid that it will give all kinds of results that are completely irrelevant to certain search queries and that it won't always work as advertised, there is a big difference between a Keynote presentation and the real world.
Hey, if Google can do such a good job with the World Wide Porn-collection-with-a-few-Web-pages-thrown-in, I believe Spotlight can manage it with the limited range of files on my hard disk.

Originally posted by Goldfinger:
Core image/video sounds interesting too but my machine doesn't support it (Radeon Mobility 9000).
I don't think anybody's really sure yet what being "unsupported" will mean in the final product, though. The only thing it definitely means is that it isn't guaranteed to run as well as on supported machines. It may be pretty decent even on lesser cards. (I'm neither a Select developer nor a pirate, so I don't know. I'm just offering a bit of hope.)
Chuck
___

Mithras
Professional Poster
Mar 11, 2005, 02:55 PM

Originally posted by Judge_Fire:
I'm looking forward to the 'Textbox for typing in arbitrary Spotlight comments in Save dialogs' - feature I requested from them some time ago.
This would be very nice indeed.

Dog Like Nature
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 11, 2005, 04:53 PM

I didn't mention this in my earlier posts but the thing that I want to see most is the ACL. I'm really looking forward to this access control list for the single reason of curiousity. I'm just curious how different this will work than the Standard UNIX group method.
You've never used Solaris? Tru64? HP-UX? What kind of UNIX guru are you??
╭1.5GHz G4 15" PB, 2.0GB RAM, 128MB VRAM, 100GB 7200rpm HD, AEBS, BT kbd
╰2.0GHz T2500 20" iMac, 1.5GB RAM, 128MB VRAM, 250GB 7200rpm HD

http://www.DogLikeNature.com/

tkmd
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 11, 2005, 06:22 PM

This one is easy I am looking forward to Quartz extreme 2d. I really want the UI to be snappy (but I hate to admit it but - but is it really going to make a big differernce?) Currently I dont think that the video card is being utilized even 40%.

Spotlight- I dont care for it. I mean I really think its going to slow the system down. Even after the 2 hours just baseline indexing after Tiger installation (remember the "indexing" during the OS 9 days?)
Pismo 400 | Powerbook 1.5 GHz | MacPro 2.66/6GB/7300GT

juanvaldes
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 11, 2005, 07:51 PM

Originally posted by Millennium:
Automator. The real power of Unix has never been in its programs, but in how they can be tied together. If Automator can at long last bring this kind of integration to the GUI in an easy to use manner, then it stands to give the already-powerful Mac interface a shot in the arm the likes of which has not been seen since AppleScript's introduction.
exactly.

and the new API's will be amazing. I call five photoshop clones that will be "good enough" within a month And then there is core data...drool....
The spirit of resistance to government is so valuable on certain occasions, that I wish it always to be kept alive.
- Thomas Jefferson, 1787

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Mar 11, 2005, 09:26 PM

Core Image, but it's not on there.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

sheer
Forum Regular
Mar 12, 2005, 08:23 AM

- Core Audio being overhauled
- A similar speed jump to what we've seen in Jaguar and Panther
- Font Book overhauled so font handling is as good and simple as ATM Deluxe on a PC

As far as the eye candy goes I'm happy with Panther to be honest. I would like to see Tiger make much more of being on a G5.

Forum Links
Forum Rules