Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > want to downgrade mojave to high sierra, but still keep my already install applicatio

want to downgrade mojave to high sierra, but still keep my already install applicatio
bonniescotland
Forum Regular
Jul 23, 2020, 07:27 AM

Hi, I want to downgrade mojave to high sierra on my mac, but I would also like to keep my already installed applications. It is just that I have lots of applications that will be a pain to reinstall. So I am wondering if I back up to time machines does that save my applications, or will it only save my files?

Also related problem when I try and download high sierra it doesn't allow me to save it anywhere. How can I save it so that I can later install it? Ideally it would be good to save it to the time machine drive, but a usb would be ok too I guess.

So assuming I manage to downgrade mojave and install high sierra, is there then a way for me to use time machine to put my applications back on to my mac? Or would I have to reinstall these applications again from scratch? Also if I do backup from time machine I don't want it reinstalling mojave, how can I avoid this?

Thanks

reader50
Administrator
Jul 23, 2020, 03:08 PM

Apple locks out OS installers from running if they're earlier than your current OS. ie - if you are booted in Mojave, only installers for Mojave or later will work. To install High Sierra, you have to be booted from High Sierra or earlier.

If you tell us what Mac you're using for this, we can look up what OS versions can boot it. There are ways around Apple's installer lockdown.

Forum Links
Forum Rules