Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > transfer osx from old mac to new mac

transfer osx from old mac to new mac
bonniescotland
Forum Regular
Jul 23, 2020, 08:54 AM

Hi, I have bought a new mac but would like it to have the same osx as my old mac. New mac has mojave, but I would like it to have el capitan (like my old mac).

I have my old mac backed up on an external disk using time machine. If i restore my new mac using this time machine backup will it give me the osx of my old mac, as well as the applications and of course the files?

Thanks

Thorzdad
Jul 23, 2020, 01:09 PM

I'm pretty sure a Mac cannot be downgraded lower than the OS version it shipped with. So, if your new Mac shipped with Mojave (10.14) you won't be able to put El Cap (10.11) on it.

reader50
Administrator
Jul 23, 2020, 03:04 PM

Yes, you can do a full TM restore of OS and everything else.

But ... what model is your new Mac? Let us look up the minimum OS that can boot it. Later Macs cannot always run earlier OSes.

Forum Links
Forum Rules