Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > CIV III and 10.2.4

CIV III and 10.2.4
Ludovic Hirlimann
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 14, 2003, 03:40 AM

From Apple's Applecare article # 107362

Improves compatibility with Firaxis Civilization III when the application's "Quartz text rendering" option is enabled.
I've not upgraded yet. Anyone playing CIV III around ? could you tell me what was fixed ? is it seeable ?

Dex13
Mac Elite
Feb 14, 2003, 08:42 PM

I play the game enough to realize any mods. And the only difference was the mop up of fuzzy text and laggy speech.

Boochie
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 14, 2003, 09:11 PM

Last time I tried playing CivIII under OS X I found that the interface was much more responsive without Quartz rendering. Is this still the case?

Originally posted by Dex13:
I play the game enough to realize any mods. And the only difference was the mop up of fuzzy text and laggy speech.

P
Feb 15, 2003, 02:20 PM

I laughed out loud when I saw that line - good to see Apple focusing on the important parts!

I think the difference is speed - on my iMac DV/400, having Quartz rendering on was painful before this. Now it's usable, and I left on through my entire endgame last night without being annoyed with it. It's a bit like comparing OS 9 to 10.0 to 10.2. 9 - no Quartz rendering - is still fastest, but 10.2, ie Quartz with the 10.2.4 update, is fast enough for me, while 10.0 was borderline.

Forum Links
Forum Rules