Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Where IS the PMU Reset?

Where IS the PMU Reset?
John123
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 30, 2002, 06:08 AM

Where IS the PMU on the new PowerBooks??? I've popped up the keyboard and am looking around the power button, but I don't see any button whatsoever that I could push to reset the PMU....

Thanks.

azark
Dec 30, 2002, 07:13 AM

Look carefully, there's a small button under the keyboard, in the upright corner, 2 cm on the left of the power button.
PB 1Ghz 1024 Combo
G4 400 AGP

John123  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 30, 2002, 08:35 AM

Originally posted by azark:
Look carefully, there's a small button under the keyboard, in the upright corner, 2 cm on the left of the power button.
The metal covers up everything in that area. Do you have to take that shield off? If not, does anyone have a picture? I can't believe how stupid I seem with this....

CyberPet
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 30, 2002, 11:35 AM

In the kidney-shaped hole in the metal, to the left of the power button, you see a glimmer of a small metal button at the bottom (should be brass colored), THAT's the button you should press. You need a pen or something (no metal) to push it.

If the computer boots up with the wrong date you know you've got it right.
/Petra

John123  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 30, 2002, 03:53 PM

Got it. Thanks everyone! I miss the days when it was the little button on the back!

mbperk
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 30, 2002, 04:29 PM

A chopstick works great for pressing it.

Kind of like playing "operation".

John123  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 30, 2002, 04:37 PM

Originally posted by mbperk:
A chopstick works great for pressing it.

Kind of like playing "operation".
The cap to a ball point pen is what I used.

What I don't understand is why it's there in the first place. I'm a fairly technically savvy person and I couldn't find it on my own. Perhaps I'm stupid, but...it's a Mac, so I should be able to be stupid *AND* still have no trouble finding buttons.

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Dec 31, 2002, 06:55 AM

The definitive document on this topic: http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=14449

tooki

mrtew
Professional Poster
Jan 1, 2003, 10:05 AM

Originally posted by tooki:
The definitive document on this topic: http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=14449
Cool article. Thanks. I just have two questions about it though.
It says, "Note: To ensure no harmful static electricity is transferred to the computer, properly ground yourself before performing this procedure." That just means touch the metal of the computer case before you touch the inside right?

Second, when identifying the different models it refers to them by the names...
14. PowerBook G4 and PowerBook G4 (Gigabit Ethernet)
15. PowerBook G4 (DVI) and PowerBook G4 (1GHz/867MHz)
Couldn't they identify the newest one by any distinguishing characheristic at all other than the speeds? Is it the first powerbook in history with no other notable imrovement over the previous model? Couldn't they at least refer to it as the 'Sans-Serif font'? Why does Apple think of cool codenames for their computers if they aren't going to use them? Sure you can't expect everyone to know all the codenames, but you can't very well expect everyone to know terms like gigabyte ethernet either can you?

I love the U.S., but we need some time apart.

John123  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 1, 2003, 03:31 PM

Originally posted by tooki:

tooki
Yeah, I had read that document. The problem is that it doesn't tell you where exactly to look...and the brass thingie didn't look like a button to me, especially since it was recessed under the metal shield.

Forum Links
Forum Rules