Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > AIM: Too much data too quickly. ARGH

AIM: Too much data too quickly. ARGH
banninated68
Banned
Nov 14, 2004, 11:22 PM

Anyone know how to bypass/hack this stupid limiting feature? I don't type a paragraph when I'm chattin with somebody, I type a sentence, hit return, type a sentence or two, hit return, and this is ****ing obnoxious. Any fixes?

- Ca$h

Luca Rescigno
Professional Poster
Nov 14, 2004, 11:35 PM

Hey man, I see you've made it back here.

That bug was a major problem in the iChat 2.1 beta version, and it wasn't completely fixed with the final version of iChat 2.1. The best way to fix it would be to somehow downgrade iChat to version 2.0, use a different client, or just wait for Apple to get on the fscking ball and fix it finally. It's been like this for almost a full year.

Yeah... sorry I couldn't help you more.

"That's Mama Luigi to you, Mario!" *wheeze*

ManOfSteal
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 15, 2004, 12:00 AM

This isn't a "feature" on the AIM server side of things to limit spamming of messages?

I always thought it was.

torifile
Mac Elite
Nov 15, 2004, 12:17 AM

The only time I've ever gotten this error is when I was on dialup. It's never happened to me when I'm on broadband.

Luca Rescigno
Professional Poster
Nov 15, 2004, 01:09 AM

MOS: Technically, this is something that AOL sends if you're flooding. I have run into it while using other clients, assuming I was actually flooding. But iChat 2.1 does this much more often anyway, and I'll often get the message even when I'm not flooding. The only way to fix it is to quit and relaunch iChat - you can wait all you want, but I've never had any luck getting the message to not appear without signing off and signing back on.

"That's Mama Luigi to you, Mario!" *wheeze*

banninated68  (op)
Banned
Nov 18, 2004, 12:28 AM

Wow, that's incredibly unbelievably gay. I can't believe apple did this... seriously.... best operating system, kicking ass with the ipod, and.... I can't chat very well because when I'm talking to someone I'm sending too much data.

Where the f*ck do I complain about this?

- Ca$h

PurpleGiant
Mac Elite
Nov 18, 2004, 01:02 AM

Originally posted by banninated68:
http://www.apple.com/macosx/feedback/

Nebagakid
Mac Elite
Nov 18, 2004, 01:13 AM

Wow, that's incredibly unbelievably gay.
yeah, Too much data too quickly is definitely a person who is interested in another of the same sex. Oh you meant gay as bad... see, I didn't know that was a use of the word... i guess I have not checked the douche dictionary in a while.

sideus
Mac Elite
Nov 18, 2004, 02:05 AM

WB ca$h.

ManOfSteal
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 18, 2004, 08:54 AM

- Ca$h
/dev/null

...or the Lounge.

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Nov 18, 2004, 09:50 AM

It's handled on AOL's side, so you'd have to talk with them about it. You have no cause for blaming AOL, however; blame the spammers for this one. If this is so much of a problem, then is is easily solved by typing in slightly larger chunks (three or four sentences, as opposed to one or two); this will slow down the datarate enough to slip through the filter without actually changing the speed at which the message gets across.
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

Zimphire
Baninated
Nov 18, 2004, 01:10 PM

Cash I have spoken with you on AIM. You don't even type out full sentences in one line.

Like for example something like.

Cash: Hey
Cash: What's up
Cash: I have been
Cash: cleaning my teeth
Cash: because I just ate some
Cash: nasty spinach.

banninated68  (op)
Banned
Nov 19, 2004, 09:28 AM

Originally posted by Zimphire:
Cash I have spoken with you on AIM. You don't even type out full sentences in one line.

Like for example something like.

Cash: Hey
Cash: What's up
Cash: I have been
Cash: cleaning my teeth
Cash: because I just ate some
Cash: nasty spinach.

So?

What's your point?

Zimphire
Baninated
Nov 19, 2004, 02:29 PM

I am saying that is why it's happening.

banninated68  (op)
Banned
Nov 19, 2004, 02:42 PM

It never happened with any other IM version.

Something changed. And it sucks ass. Even if I'm typing more than phrases it happens. I can type pretty fast.

- Ca$h

Blue Flame
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 19, 2004, 02:55 PM

yeah, i have that happen to me to. I changed to Adium and that solved the problem for me...

banninated68  (op)
Banned
Dec 29, 2004, 06:56 PM

2.0 anybody? I can repay you with a drawing of your car or educational discount software on clearance.

- Rob

CatOne
Mac Elite
Dec 30, 2004, 02:43 PM

Originally posted by Luca Rescigno:
MOS: Technically, this is something that AOL sends if you're flooding. I have run into it while using other clients, assuming I was actually flooding. But iChat 2.1 does this much more often anyway, and I'll often get the message even when I'm not flooding. The only way to fix it is to quit and relaunch iChat - you can wait all you want, but I've never had any luck getting the message to not appear without signing off and signing back on.
It's easy to fix. Just WAIT 30 seconds. Don't type ANYTHING for 30 seconds, and then you can keep right on going.

I call it the "penalty box." Annoying, but there's no reason you must re-start. I guess you don't have the patience to wait 30 seconds? The message tells you to slow down.

I do agree it's very annoying and silly... but I guess you have to type a few words per line rather than type 8 lines in 10 seconds

banninated68  (op)
Banned
Dec 30, 2004, 05:05 PM

**** you lemming. I've never had this problem until this release of ichat, nor do I think I should have to deal with it if I'm using a Mac, which is supposed to have FEWER annoying problems than a PC.

Macs are a premium product. Most of the time I get this god damn message I'm not even typing that fast, I'm chatting with someone like this:

Hey

Hey

How goes it?

Good, did you fix the accord?

No but the starter is funny

Oh that might be the bla

I don't type ****ing paragraphs at a time. NOBODY DOES. THIS IS ANNOYING AS ****. **** APPLE I"VE EMAILED THEM LIKE THIRTY TIMES ON THIS ****ING ANNOYING SUBJECT.

Randman
Posting Junkie
Dec 30, 2004, 05:09 PM

Apple doesn't handle AIM, AOL does. It's like e-mailing Toyota about a problem with an Accord.
Besides, Adium works quite nicely when you need AIM-like chats.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

banninated68  (op)
Banned
Dec 30, 2004, 05:48 PM

So nobody has ichat 2.0?

CatOne
Mac Elite
Dec 31, 2004, 11:50 PM

So nobody has ichat 2.0?
I have Tiger, but I sure as sh*t ain't gonna give it to someone who calls me a lemming and refuses to type in complete sentences.

cSurfr
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 1, 2005, 03:51 AM

i'm not in front of my mac at the moment, but there is a way to get around it. Before you start a new conversation with someone, highlight their name in your buddy list, then from one of the items on the menubar, you can choose "start direct connection" or something like that. That will stop those annoying messages from coming up. It's the only way I talk to people anymore....

banninated68  (op)
Banned
Jan 1, 2005, 04:23 AM

Originally posted by CatOne:
I have Tiger, but I sure as sh*t ain't gonna give it to someone who calls me a lemming and refuses to type in complete sentences.
I wouldn't want it from some dick like you anyway punta

Forum Links
Forum Rules