Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > launch x11app on Leopard

launch x11app on Leopard
Zaurus
Jan 15, 2008, 06:19 PM

back in Tiger.. i can create a .x11app script which i can click and launch that x11 app

but i find that i can no longer do it again in Leopard

does anyone know the reason why?

here is my screenshot:
http://www.parkyourpic.com/uploads/586f0acea0.png

thanks in advanced
---
Apple Macbook Pro 2.2GHz 15inch 2GB DDR2 RAM
LED Backlight, OSX 10.5.1 Leopard

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jan 15, 2008, 07:23 PM

Does your script have executable permissions? Can you launch /sw/bin/gqview manually? What is output to your system.log file when you launch it? What happens when you launch it?

Zaurus  (op)
Jan 15, 2008, 08:12 PM

Originally Posted by besson3c View Post
Does your script have executable permissions? Can you launch /sw/bin/gqview manually? What is output to your system.log file when you launch it? What happens when you launch it?

i have all executable permission

i can successfully launch /sw/bin/gqview

no error output

but i just wanna "click" on an app to open it instead of opening the Terminal.app and type it all the time

back in Tiger.. i can do that in a simple ".x11app" file
---

Brass
Professional Poster
Jan 15, 2008, 09:08 PM

X11 is completely different in Leopard than what it is in Tiger. In fact the "X11.app" in Leopard, merely launches xterm. That's all it does.

X11 itself actually launches automatically whenever you launch any X11 application. That's why merely launching xterm (as above) is all that's required to launch X11.

This probably means that you should handle scripts that launch X11 tools very differently in Leopard to what you do in Tiger.

In fact, there are some serious problems with attempting to launch X11 manually via login item (and by other means) which can result in bouncing X11 icons in the Dock, and multiple X11 icons in the Dock.

Zaurus  (op)
Jan 16, 2008, 04:29 AM

Originally Posted by Brass View Post
X11 is completely different in Leopard than what it is in Tiger. In fact the "X11.app" in Leopard, merely launches xterm. That's all it does.

X11 itself actually launches automatically whenever you launch any X11 application. That's why merely launching xterm (as above) is all that's required to launch X11.

This probably means that you should handle scripts that launch X11 tools very differently in Leopard to what you do in Tiger.

In fact, there are some serious problems with attempting to launch X11 manually via login item (and by other means) which can result in bouncing X11 icons in the Dock, and multiple X11 icons in the Dock.

what some ways to suppress the xterm while launching an X11 app?

or anywhere i can find out these information?
---

wataru
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 16, 2008, 08:05 AM

You don't need to suppress the xterm. You should be able to just make a regular .command file where you call your X11 apps as if you were in an xterm. X11 will be automatically launched as needed, without the extraneous xterm.

Brass
Professional Poster
Jan 16, 2008, 06:26 PM

Yeah, the point is that you launch a unix application that uses X11, and Leopard automatically launches X11 for you (this does NOT launch xterm).

Only manually launching X11.app (in /Applications/) will launch xterm, because what that actually does is just launch xterm directly, and because xterm is actually a unix application that uses X11, Leopard would automatically launch X11.

So in theory, you no longer need to so anything manually with X11 at all. You just launch your unix apps, and if they need X11, then Leopard will launch X11 for you, automatically.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jan 16, 2008, 06:34 PM

Brass, is the X11 environment in Leopard still XFree86, or is it now X.org?

Brass
Professional Poster
Jan 16, 2008, 08:37 PM

They switched to X.org.

Zaurus  (op)
Jan 17, 2008, 09:05 PM

Originally Posted by Brass View Post
Yeah, the point is that you launch a unix application that uses X11, and Leopard automatically launches X11 for you (this does NOT launch xterm).

Only manually launching X11.app (in /Applications/) will launch xterm, because what that actually does is just launch xterm directly, and because xterm is actually a unix application that uses X11, Leopard would automatically launch X11.

So in theory, you no longer need to so anything manually with X11 at all. You just launch your unix apps, and if they need X11, then Leopard will launch X11 for you, automatically.
how to write .command in OSX?

i tried to create a gqview.command and put "/sw/bin/gqview"

it behaves the same .... a terminal was opened along with the x11 app
---

Forum Links
Forum Rules