Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > Obama calls Palin a "pig," should stay at home with kids

Obama calls Palin a "pig," should stay at home with kids (Page 3)
lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 10, 2008, 07:11 PM

The needed realignment is in the Republican camp: back to small government and individual freedom, and away from the big gov't, big debt, and pandering to the religious right.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Sep 10, 2008, 07:25 PM

I don't really disagree there, at least with the first two points, lpk. I don't think it's pandering - it's that the religious right has a lot of influence in the party. But the Democratic party is far worse than the Republican party.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

TheWOAT
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 10, 2008, 08:39 PM

So uhh... having seen the speech in question... Obama was comparing McCain to a pig, and Palin is the lipstick...
McCain referred to HIllary once with the same saying.

Wow, what a stupid thread.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Sep 10, 2008, 08:48 PM

Originally Posted by TheWOAT View Post
So uhh... having seen the speech in question... Obama was comparing McCain to a pig, and Palin is the lipstick...
McCain referred to HIllary once with the same saying.

Wow, what a stupid thread.
Or, Obama was just using a common expression.. Or, he wasn't.. Who cares? We are supposed to love tough guy leaders, but we don't want them to be called alleged mean names like a pig?

Whatever... If you guys want this election to be about non-issues like this, you will get the election and outcome you deserve. Just don't cry about it. This is stupid, plain and simple. Complete non-issue, and I promise you I'd be saying the same thing if McCain or Palin called Obama or Biden a pig.

Who cares?

xi_hyperon
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 10, 2008, 09:23 PM

It's easier to make a stink about non-issues than it is to debate actual issues. This is the Pol-War Lounge Way™.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Sep 10, 2008, 09:27 PM

Besides, it is clear that both candidates are guilty of all sorts of manipulative and disingenuous attacks. If you guys want to play scorekeeper, fine, but you are spinning your tires.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Sep 10, 2008, 09:27 PM

Originally Posted by ort888 View Post
You mean the election you won?

With swiftboat ads?
I won? I didn't vote for Bush.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 10, 2008, 10:53 PM

Did we watch the same interview? Every question asked was an attempt to trip him up. It was the most hostile interview I have ever seen. He couldn't even give an answer without having the interviewer nitpick over ever word. Obama was the one being asked questions. O'Reilly should have let him answer.

It felt more like an interrogation then an interview. That said, I loved it. I loved watching it. Every candidate should have to go though it.

I dare Palin or McCain to go into a similarly hostile interview. One where you get blasted with a dozen questions, every single one of which are designed to make you look bad.
McCain has been on the Factor several times.
45/47

Ratm
Mac Elite
Sep 10, 2008, 11:27 PM

[QUOTE=AllegedNews;3722564And he is actually trying to run on the education platform?[/QUOTE]

Mccain's senior moments greatest hits
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iWX5u69hmzY

http://penguinstockmarket.blogspot.c...flashback.html

Remember how our transportation infrastructure is crumbling around us? That bridge collapse in Minnesota?

Well, it's a good thing somebody had a video camera when he was laying the blame for that failure squarely at the feet of new BFF Sarah "earmark" Palin and her Bridge to the White House, er, Nowhere.

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 11, 2008, 12:10 AM

Originally Posted by Chongo View Post
McCain has been on the Factor several times.
Did he get yelled at over and over and asked a series of leading questions designed to make him look bad?

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 11, 2008, 12:17 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gMwmnlmj-R8

Holy crap. Compare this to the Obama interview. He let's McCain finish his thoughts. All of his questions are about Obama's controversies. It's respectful. It's a stream of softballs. It's night and day. He was bickering and talking back to Obama the whole time. Every question was a leading question designed to get him to trip up.

The two interviews cannot even be compared.

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Sep 11, 2008, 12:27 AM

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

Captain Obvious
Professional Poster
Sep 11, 2008, 12:29 AM

Holy crap. Compare this to the Obama interview. He let's McCain finish his thoughts. All of his questions are about Obama's controversies. It's respectful. It's a stream of softballs. It's night and day. He was bickering and talking back to Obama the whole time. Every question was a leading question designed to get him to trip up.
The outrage!

Its a shame for you that Chris Matthews didn't do the interview so he could have shoved his nose further up Obama's ass.

Barack Obama: Four more years of the Carter Presidency

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 11, 2008, 12:34 AM

Obama has had plenty of lame softball interviews before. I'm challenging McCain to go into a hostile environment and get griled for 30 minutes by a man who's only goal is to make you look foolish.

I also challenge Sarah Palin to get interviewed by anyone. Anyone at all. Which is supposed to happen tomorrow.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Sep 11, 2008, 12:39 AM

Originally Posted by - - e r i k - - View Post
Amazing, he completely changed the context. I have to admit, he's almost as good at bullshitting as Bill. Then, he deflected it and made it look like the "McCain Campaign" started it all.

Of course, then he reverted to being sapping about "the future" and such rubbish, throwing in his trademark feel-good remarks that make people applaud. Gotta love a good paper tiger.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

iomatic
Mac Elite
Sep 11, 2008, 12:49 AM

Originally Posted by iomatic View Post
This thread needs to be locked for inaccuracy.

Here's the full story:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/feedarticle/7786322
Bump.

/kill drivel

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Sep 11, 2008, 01:01 AM

Originally Posted by Shaddim View Post
Amazing, he completely changed the context.
No, he had to point out the real context to the idiots who didn't get it. And THEN had to point out how idiotic it was to take it out of context in the first place and making a story about it. Guess he really is too smart for some people.

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

Captain Obvious
Professional Poster
Sep 11, 2008, 01:14 AM

No, he had to point out the real context to the idiots who didn't get it. And THEN had to point out how idiotic it was to take it out of context in the first place and making a story about it. Guess he really is too smart for some people.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ts3U939CD3g
( Last edited by Captain Obvious; Sep 11, 2008 at 01:29 AM. )

Barack Obama: Four more years of the Carter Presidency

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 11, 2008, 01:27 AM

I agree 100%. It's retarded to take one soundbite and run with it. I hated. HATED with a passion that 100 year commercial one of those left wing companies put out. It's shameless.

Both camps are guilty of it and it's time to end it.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Sep 11, 2008, 07:05 AM

Oh yeah, so intelligent.

Barry has to be the dumbest "smart guy" I've ever seen.
- Thomas Paine

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 11, 2008, 07:08 AM

I just heard this morning that the Obama campaign clarified that the lipstick was Palin and the pig is McCain. I love politics.

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

stupendousman
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 11, 2008, 07:14 AM

"Really, when we decided to engage in petty name calling, you misunderstood which people we were really attacking in a partisan manner".

LOL

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 11, 2008, 07:18 AM

Just to remind everyone, Obama's comment came after Palin's. He said 'you can put lipstick on a pig" pauses, crowd begins to roar with laughter, then he finishes. The crowd must have misunderstood as well.
45/47

stupendousman
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 11, 2008, 07:31 AM

Just to remind everyone, Obama's comment came after Palin's. He said 'you can put lipstick on a pig" pauses, crowd begins to roar with laughter, then he finishes. The crowd must have misunderstood as well.
In the world we live in, one stray, careless comment can be the difference between war and peace sometimes. Words have meaning, and if you are slinging them around without any idea how they'll be taken, you'll do not much better than George Bush.

Either he knew and was trying to score partisan political points, or he didn't and was careless. You pick which. Either way, he needs to show a bit more discipline.

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 11, 2008, 10:24 AM

Yeah. He should just give the same speech over and over again like Palin. Then he wouldn't have these problems.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Sep 11, 2008, 10:28 AM

What would happen if you put lipstick on a pig? Would the chemicals from the lipstick make the pig sick?

Just trying to make this thread interesting.

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 11, 2008, 11:04 AM

Ask Revlon. They probably have a laboratory somewhere with 50 pigs wearing lipstick.

Kerrigan  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 11, 2008, 11:07 AM

Originally Posted by lpkmckenna View Post
The needed realignment is in the Republican camp: back to small government and individual freedom, and away from the big gov't, big debt, and pandering to the religious right.
qft

subego
Clinically Insane
Sep 11, 2008, 11:25 AM

I had that slightest glimmer of hope when he said WRT this kind of bull: "this is what we do".

Apparently a slip of the tongue, because the rest of the speech is "this is what they do".

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Sep 11, 2008, 01:00 PM

Originally Posted by subego View Post
I had that slightest glimmer of hope when he said WRT this kind of bull: "this is what we do".
Wow ... you're still doing it. When he said "this is what we do", he was referring to we as America.

iomatic
Mac Elite
Sep 11, 2008, 01:31 PM

This thread is full of FAIL-- McCain-bots taking things out of context.

The lipstick maxim is hardly new to either Obama or McCain. The Democrat has used it in the past, and McCain repeated the folksy metaphor when he criticized Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton on health care. McCain was never accused of being sexist when he uttered those words.

http://news.yahoo.com/story//ap/2008...obama_lipstick

subego
Clinically Insane
Sep 11, 2008, 01:39 PM

Originally Posted by Wiskedjak View Post
Wow ... you're still doing it. When he said "this is what we do", he was referring to we as America.

"[I]t" is a little non-specific, would you mind clarifying?

stupendousman
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 11, 2008, 01:47 PM

Originally Posted by iomatic View Post
This thread is full of FAIL-- McCain-bots taking things out of context.

The lipstick maxim is hardly new to either Obama or McCain. The Democrat has used it in the past, and McCain repeated the folksy metaphor when he criticized Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton on health care. McCain was never accused of being sexist when he uttered those words.

http://news.yahoo.com/story//ap/2008...obama_lipstick
Hillary had not just used a lipstick metaphor involving herself less than a week before, on national television, in prime-time, to thunderous applause with front page MSM quotations.

FAIL

Either Obama should have been smart enough to see it coming and avoided it, or he did it on purpose.

smacintush
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 11, 2008, 02:03 PM

Originally Posted by lpkmckenna View Post
Originally Posted by Kerrigan View Post
qft
It's called the Libertarian party.
Being in debt and celebrating a lower deficit is like being on a diet and celebrating the fact you gained two pounds this week instead of five.

SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 11, 2008, 02:52 PM

I just think it's funny that Obama's campaign can explicitly call the McCain campaign outright liars, but somehow this comment that Palin is the lipstick to McCain's pig is considered much more offensive. I'd rather be a pig than a liar, myself.

"One ticket to Washington, please. I have a date with destiny."

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Sep 11, 2008, 02:54 PM

As far as McCain using the pig with lipstick remark about Hillary, the two analogies were not alike. McCain was criticizing her health care policy as the same thing she tried back in 1993. Obama wasn't referring to any specific policy. Not the same thing.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Sep 11, 2008, 02:57 PM

McCain calls Hillary Clinton a "pig"!!1!!11! Not once, but twice!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WMPYk...eature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yMHlI...eature=related

Looks like at least *one* person in McCain's campaign is familiar with the "lipstick on a pig" idiom.

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 11, 2008, 03:35 PM

Originally Posted by smacintush View Post
It's called the Libertarian party.
The guys who nominated Bob Barr? No thanks.

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 11, 2008, 04:43 PM

Well, it looks like someone must have seen this post and had Palin make her hockey mom joke to lay a trap for the Dems, and they fell into it.

from the post. I guess they couldn't find any Kawasaki 704s
45/47

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Sep 11, 2008, 04:51 PM

Originally Posted by stupendousman View Post
Hillary had not just used a lipstick metaphor involving herself less than a week before, on national television, in prime-time, to thunderous applause with front page MSM quotations.

FAIL

Either Obama should have been smart enough to see it coming and avoided it, or he did it on purpose.
Or, perhaps Palin speech writers gave her the lipstick-on-a-dog line so she could get all offended when Obama's writers gave him the lipstick-on-a-pig line ...

hyteckit
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 11, 2008, 05:05 PM

Palin - lipstick on a pig, Queen of Pork™

Quite fitting actually, since she has requested more earmarks per capital than any other state.
Bush Tax Cuts == Job Killer
June 2001: 132,047,000 employed
June 2003: 129,839,000 employed
2.21 million jobs were LOST after 2 years of Bush Tax Cuts.

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 11, 2008, 05:15 PM

Originally Posted by hyteckit View Post
Palin - lipstick on a pig, Queen of Pork™

Quite fitting actually, since she has requested more earmarks per capital than any other state.
even more than Delaware?
45/47

hyteckit
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 11, 2008, 05:31 PM

even more than Delaware?
Yes, more than Delaware per capita. $250 million for Alaska compared to $120 million for Delaware.

Population of Delaware - 860k
Population of Alaska - 670k

Palin is such a pig. What a pork lover. OINK OINK.

SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 11, 2008, 05:36 PM

I'm sure all politicians, male and female, wear lipstick. This is the television age.

"One ticket to Washington, please. I have a date with destiny."

hyteckit
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 11, 2008, 06:45 PM

What's the difference between Sarah Palin and a pig with lipstick?

Eyeglasses

Hah...

Palin the Pig. Very catchy.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Sep 11, 2008, 06:48 PM

I'm wearing lipstick now, but I'll never tell you where.

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 11, 2008, 07:22 PM

I don't even understand what she meant by her original joke.

Doesn't the phrase "hockey mom" have a negative connotation? I've grown up around hockey, and the phrase hockey mom refers to a parent who is completly psycho and obsessed with their childs on ice performance. When I think of the phrase hockey mom, I think of the parents in the parking lot screaming obscenities at a 17 year old referee.

And then we have pitbulls... what are widely considered the most dangerous breed of dog. A breed that is constantly in the news and being banned.

So what was she saying? I'm a lunatic sports parent who can be best compared to the most vicious breed of dog?

Why would you want to say such a thing?

Again, I know this is just BS... but I really just don't get it. I didn't get it from the second it crossed her lips. It's just an odd thing to say.

OldManMac
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 11, 2008, 07:23 PM

This thread is indicative of why this country's going to hell in a handbasket. People are arguing who said what first, and in what context, while our education system is becoming the laughingstock of the world, our infrastructure is crumbling under our own eyes, our military is stretched almost to the breaking point, our grandchildren's children are going to be saddled with enormous debts that we're leaving them, our health care costs are spiraling out of control, and on and on it goes.

It's a tragedy of monumental proportions, and neither side is prepared to tackle it, because they both know that they can throw 60 second sound bytes at the ignorant, and one side will win just because they've convinced the most voters that they have the better rhetoric.
Why is there always money for war, but none for education?

itai195
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 11, 2008, 07:58 PM

This has to be one of the worst places to discuss politics on the internet.
No kidding. I decide to come check it out again for the first time in years, and this thread instantly reminded me why I've moved on.

iomatic
Mac Elite
Sep 11, 2008, 08:09 PM

Originally Posted by OldManMac View Post

It's a tragedy of monumental proportions, and neither side is prepared to tackle it, because they both know that they can throw 60 second sound bytes at the ignorant, and one side will win just because they've convinced the most voters that they have the better rhetoric.
I was only pointing out the hypocrisy of the Right (while they still keep coming back with poor rebuttals), and the inaccuracy of the thread title. And that the thread should be subsequently closed. A long time ago.

Forum Links
Forum Rules