Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > Obama calls Palin a "pig," should stay at home with kids

Obama calls Palin a "pig," should stay at home with kids
Kerrigan
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 9, 2008, 09:42 PM

Is this the best Obama's staff can think of? Implying that a woman is a pig is going to go over about as well as calling small-town people "bitter". In fact, this remark, when taking into account his statements that followed, could even be disastrous for Obama.

He follows the insult with something even more uncreative, drawing a comparison with a dead, stinking fish wrapped in a piece of paper. The fact that he thought this is an effective bit of offensive strategy is risible.

He wraps up his ingenious assault with the old sexist cliche that having kids disqualifies one from holding office.
"She’s got five kids and my hat goes off to anybody who’s looking after five. I’ve got two and they tire Michelle and me out!"
Pigs, fish, "the woman should be looking after the kids", etc. Is Obama beginning to choke under pressure?

Ghoser777
Professional Poster
Sep 9, 2008, 09:46 PM

Well... she started the "lipstick" conversation with her acceptance speech joke. Then again, I don't think that's a helpful comment.

finboy
Sep 9, 2008, 10:08 PM

Originally Posted by Ghoser777 View Post
Well... she started the "lipstick" conversation with her acceptance speech joke. Then again, I don't think that's a helpful comment.
Huh? She was talking about hockey moms. No connection -- she wasn't talking about her opponent, but joking about HERSELF.

I can just imagine what the outcry would be if Palin talked about how you can take the organizer out of the community, but not the community out of the organizer.

Shows how desperate the Left is right now -- that's all they've got. Even with all of the media breaking its neck to slam Palin, that's ALL THEY GOT. Man. With that much cash you'd think they could figure out something more subtle. Maybe George Soros is on vacation this week.

Ghoser777
Professional Poster
Sep 9, 2008, 10:16 PM

Okay, so here's the full quote:

"You can put lipstick on a pig," he said as the crowd cheered. "It's still a pig."
"You can wrap an old fish in a piece of paper called change. It's still gonna stink."
"We've had enough of the same old thing."
I understand what the knee jerk reaction is (and I had it as well), but I don't see any negative intent here. It seems to me if you believe Obama is calling Plain a pig, then he's also calling her a fish.

Ghoser777
Professional Poster
Sep 9, 2008, 10:19 PM

Oh, and here's the fun thing - McCain made the exact same kind of comment against Hillary Clinton (discussing her health care plan):

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/the...age_at_li.html

This is what the McCain camp means when they say that this election isn't going to be about the issues... yes?

finboy
Sep 9, 2008, 10:19 PM

I understand what the knee jerk reaction is (and I had it as well), but I don't see any negative intent here. It seems to me if you believe Obama is calling Plain a pig, then he's also calling her a fish.
Whatever. I hope you didn't really believe that. The only one wearing or talking about lipstick up to this point is the governor.

Pretty blatant to most folks at this point, not accounting for the current state of public schooling in America.

SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 9, 2008, 10:23 PM

Oh jeez, has someone checked in with Gov. Palin to make sure her feelings weren't too hurt?

"One ticket to Washington, please. I have a date with destiny."

Ghoser777
Professional Poster
Sep 9, 2008, 10:26 PM

True - the only way you could have a different opinion on that matter is if you were incorrectly "educated." Seriously, I know in politics you're supposed to analyze everything, but is it remotely possible that he was just using a common phrase without intending to be sexist?

TheWOAT
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 9, 2008, 10:53 PM

True - the only way you could have a different opinion on that matter is if you were incorrectly "educated." Seriously, I know in politics you're supposed to analyze everything, but is it remotely possible that he was just using a common phrase without intending to be sexist?
Nope. He likes em barefoot and preggers. Palin also worships the devil and was part of a crazy white people militia.

BRussell
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 9, 2008, 10:56 PM

So did Obama actually say either of things Kerrigan claims in the title?

TheWOAT
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 9, 2008, 10:58 PM

Originally Posted by BRussell View Post
So did Obama actually say either of things Kerrigan claims in the title?
Is that even a relevant question?

Ghoser777
Professional Poster
Sep 9, 2008, 11:01 PM

Actually, the more I read Kerrigan's original statement, the more confused I become. How is complementing someone for being able to handle more kids than you "sexist". My boss at work has 4 kids and we're all pretty impressed that she can juggle both.

Ghoser777
Professional Poster
Sep 9, 2008, 11:07 PM

More incidents of that what I guess can only be described as the new "politically incorrect" phrase:

http://blogs.abcnews.com/politicalpu...ish-debat.html

I guess to turn fishboy's comments on their head - are the McCain supports so desperate that they have to twist everything into an argument about "hidden" meanings instead of policy debates?

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Sep 9, 2008, 11:34 PM

The only thing worse than all of the media attention over these stupid gaffes is the partisan football matches that are inspired by these.

Have fun guys!

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Sep 9, 2008, 11:42 PM

Holy ****. Game over.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

Kerrigan  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 10, 2008, 12:03 AM

More incidents of that what I guess can only be described as the new "politically incorrect" phrase:

http://blogs.abcnews.com/politicalpu...ish-debat.html

I guess to turn fishboy's comments on their head - are the McCain supports so desperate that they have to twist everything into an argument about "hidden" meanings instead of policy debates?
There's no hidden meaning, as the implication was clearly picked up by the crowd in the video recording of the comments.

And how does this make McCain supporters desperate? This is fair game in politics. It also emphasizes the cheesiness of the latest attack in a string of ineffective attempts to take down Palin.

AllegedNews
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 10, 2008, 12:40 AM

Obama was very insulting to all women.

Thank you for the thread, Kerrigan. Succinct and on point.

Let's not forget that Obama can hardly string two sentences together. He is very incoherent:

Incoherent Obama example #1

Incoherent Obama example #2

And he is actually trying to run on the education platform?

SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 10, 2008, 12:53 AM

Originally Posted by finboy View Post
I can just imagine what the outcry would be if Palin talked about how you can take the organizer out of the community, but not the community out of the organizer.
Huh? What does that even mean? Why would there be an outcry?

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Sep 10, 2008, 12:58 AM

Seems to me like he's just calling her "the same old thing"

CRASH HARDDRIVE
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 10, 2008, 01:28 AM

"You can wrap an old fish in a piece of paper called change. It's still gonna stink."

I thought he was just being introspective with this comment.

smacintush
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 10, 2008, 03:23 AM

It seems pretty obvious why he used of that particular phrase.
Being in debt and celebrating a lower deficit is like being on a diet and celebrating the fact you gained two pounds this week instead of five.

hyteckit
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 10, 2008, 03:31 AM

Obama - Reverse Racist™

Obama is such a pig hater. How dare Obama compare that PitBull with lipstick, Palin, to a pig with lipstick. PitBull kills babies; Pigs don't.
Bush Tax Cuts == Job Killer
June 2001: 132,047,000 employed
June 2003: 129,839,000 employed
2.21 million jobs were LOST after 2 years of Bush Tax Cuts.

smacintush
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 10, 2008, 03:58 AM

In what world is someone NOT supposed to be offended by being called a pig?
Being in debt and celebrating a lower deficit is like being on a diet and celebrating the fact you gained two pounds this week instead of five.

hyteckit
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 10, 2008, 06:44 AM

I don't blame conservatives for overreacting. I realize most conservatives don't even have a high school education to understand what an idiom is. I know smacintush failed 1st grade math cause he doesn't know 10.8% is still over 9%.

Here's a little education on the idiom: lipstick on a pig

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&s...om&btnG=Search

Education can do wonders.

Paco500
Professional Poster
Sep 10, 2008, 06:48 AM

Everyone here seems to be missing the real issue here- the flip-flopping of the Obama campaign and their inability to stay on message! On the one hand you have Biden calling her good-looking then a few days later you have Obama calling her a pig! Which is it? We don't need these shameless wafflers in the White House!!!

hyteckit
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 10, 2008, 06:57 AM

Yes, the Republican Party is a pig. Sarah Palin, the Earmark Queen, receiving more earmarks per capita than any state. Pres. Bush's massive spending spree and ever growing deficit.

You can dress up the Republican Party and make it more appealing, but it's still the same old pork barrel spending Republicans.

You can put lipstick on a pig, but it's still a pig.

stupendousman
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 10, 2008, 06:58 AM

I thought that Obama said the election would be about the "issues", not name-calling and personal attacks? He was supposed to be "post partisan."

I guess all that goes out the window when he's behind in the polls. That doesn't help his argument that he'll do what he says after getting elected after having such a thin resume of accomplishment in the first place.

hyteckit
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 10, 2008, 06:59 AM

The outrage over the idiom "lipstick on a pig" clearing shows how uneducated the conservative base is.

stupendousman
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 10, 2008, 07:02 AM

Originally Posted by hyteckit View Post
You can put lipstick on a pig, but it's still a pig.
Obama is still emitting the same far left squeals that Kerry and Gore oinked out the last two elections, which voters have little taste for. Obama voted the party line in a greater percentage than McCain ever did. Obama's the only pig in the race, and now that he's getting stuck, he's squealing louder.

Dork.
Professional Poster
Sep 10, 2008, 07:07 AM

This is nothing. Who died and made the Republicans the Politically-Correct Word Police, anyway?
Isn't it the Liberals' job to be offended at every other word's hidden meaning?

hyteckit
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 10, 2008, 07:15 AM

New week on Drudge Report:

OBAMA - REVERSE RACIST™

stupendousman
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 10, 2008, 07:24 AM

I think that the point is this....

People know Palin's big-hit line in her speech compared herself to a "pitbull with lipstic".

People know that Obama knows this.

Obama decided to refer to his opposition as "pigs with lipstick" knowing full well the impact of Palin's comment.

I don't think anyone is stupid enough to think that Obama wasn't trying to turn Palin's reference around on her and engage in name-calling or that the reference was coincidental.

More fail on the part of team Obama...par for the course. Backlash to ensue.

villalobos
Mac Elite
Sep 10, 2008, 07:33 AM

well, she kinda look like a pig anyways.

This said the comment was on the "change" that McCain, who is Bush's lapdog, is supposed to bring, not on Palin. Lots of people with some failing skills at reading here.

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Sep 10, 2008, 09:05 AM

Aren't both of those common, well known sayings? I've definitely heard them both before. Using them does not imply that he thinks either Palin or McCain is a pig or a fish. Has no one ever heard of metaphor anymore?

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Sep 10, 2008, 09:11 AM

I think it's pretty clear the comment was in reference to McCain's copied-from-Obama campaign for change

stupendousman
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 10, 2008, 09:19 AM

Originally Posted by villalobos View Post
This said the comment was on the "change" that McCain, who is Bush's lapdog...
COMEDY, RIGHT THERE!

...is supposed to bring, not on Palin. Lots of people with some failing skills at reading here.
People can read fine. Even between the lines, which is sometimes more important.

SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 10, 2008, 09:26 AM

Originally Posted by stupendousman View Post
I think that the point is this....

People know Palin's big-hit line in her speech compared herself to a "pitbull with lipstic".

People know that Obama knows this.

Obama decided to refer to his opposition as "pigs with lipstick" knowing full well the impact of Palin's comment.

I don't think anyone is stupid enough to think that Obama wasn't trying to turn Palin's reference around on her and engage in name-calling or that the reference was coincidental.
Sounds pretty devious, except why did he then pause, mentally sh*t his pants, and try to make good with the fish comment? Seems pretty clear to me that any insult wasn't intentional.

zerostar
Mac Elite
Sep 10, 2008, 09:30 AM

Agreed, that there is even a thread about this shows the desperation they are clinging to any little comment no matter how off base they are.

stupendousman
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 10, 2008, 10:33 AM

Originally Posted by SpaceMonkey View Post
Sounds pretty devious, except why did he then pause, mentally sh*t his pants, and try to make good with the fish comment? Seems pretty clear to me that any insult wasn't intentional.
Him having "mentally sh*t his pants" sounds like a plausible excuse. He's done that several times lately, the last when he was visiting the 57th state of New Pennsylvannia (where he didn't mention his Muslim faith) to talk about the people's love for the Nitally Lions.

I'm a believer.

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Sep 10, 2008, 10:40 AM

Him having "mentally sh*t his pants" sounds like a plausible excuse. He's done that several times lately, the last when he was visiting the 57th state of New Pennsylvannia (where he didn't mention his Muslim faith) to talk about the people's love for the Nitally Lions.

I'm a believer.
His Muslim faith? In your next breath, are you going to start complaining again about the things his Christian pastor said?

Dork.
Professional Poster
Sep 10, 2008, 11:14 AM

Don't pay any attention to stupendousman, he's just one of the bitters.

TheMosco
Mac Elite
Sep 10, 2008, 11:22 AM

"It's an old expression, and I'm going to have to cut Obama some slack on that one. I do not think he was referring to Sarah Palin; he didn't reference her. If you take the two sound bites together, it may sound like it," he said on Fox's "Hannity and Colmes."
advertisement

"But I've been a guy at the podium many times, and you say something that's maybe a part of an old joke and then somebody ties it in. So, I'm going to have to cut him slack."

- Mike Huckabee

I think McCain campaign is really reaching on this one and really trying to make an issue out of something that isn't.
AXP
ΔΣΦ

TheWOAT
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 10, 2008, 11:25 AM

Huckabee is obviously lying.

stupendousman
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 10, 2008, 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by Wiskedjak View Post
His Muslim faith? In your next breath, are you going to start complaining again about the things his Christian pastor said?
Apparently, you didn't get the joke. The paragraph I typed contained a number of Obama's latest verbal gaffes he's committed, including his referring to his "muslim faith" to George Steponallofus (who quickly corrected him). I wasn't actually making a comment on Obama's religious beliefs.

TheWOAT
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 10, 2008, 11:33 AM

Apparently, you didn't get the joke. The paragraph I typed contained a number of Obama's latest verbal gaffes he's committed, including his referring to his "muslim faith" to George Steponallofus (who quickly corrected him). I wasn't actually making a comment on Obama's religious beliefs.
Im not buying it. This thread is about reading between the lines and drawing false conclusions. With that in mind, you sir are a communist.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Sep 10, 2008, 11:34 AM

I just want to point out the double standard here:

If Palin was black, and Obama was white, that comment by Obama (in reference to Palin's pitbull/lipstick comment) would have been taken as completely and utterly racist.

Point is: it's apparently ok if a black person uses a metaphor of "pig" in reference to a woman, but all hell would break loose if someone used the same metaphor in anything remotely related to a black person.

This *is* going to backfire for Obama.

-t

stupendousman
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 10, 2008, 11:43 AM

Originally Posted by TheWOAT View Post
Im not buying it. This thread is about reading between the lines and drawing false conclusions. With that in mind, you sir are a communist.
You got me. I'm wearing red hammer/sickle underwear as we speak!

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Sep 10, 2008, 12:04 PM

Obama was obviously referring to Palin with the "lipstick on the pig" comment, but Palin is the metaphorical lipstick here. She'd just associated the word with herself, so obviously it was some pretty clever wordplay. What Obama was saying is that now that they've brought Sarah Palin in with her hockey schtick, McCain's campaign is trying to make itself out as being for "change." Obama was saying that the addition of Sarah Palin is like lipstick on a pig — it's still the same old campaign it always was.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

zerostar
Mac Elite
Sep 10, 2008, 12:16 PM

He didn't correct him, because It wasn't a slip with Steponallofus, if you understand he meant bloggers/etc. was saying his Muslim Faith. He even clarified this.

Originally Posted by Obama
But he said the McCain campaign tried to tie him to "liberal blogs that support Obama" and are "attacking Governor Palin."

"Let's not play games. "What I was suggesting -- you're absolutely right that John McCain has not talked about my Muslim faith. And you're absolutely right that that has not come."

Mr. Stephanopoulos interrupted with, "Christian faith."

"My Christian faith, Well, what I'm saying is that he hasn't suggested that I'm a Muslim. And I think that his campaign's upper echelons have not, either.
He meant what he said, just not how it had been spun. Saying otherwise is pretty disingenuous.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Sep 10, 2008, 12:19 PM

Originally Posted by Chuckit View Post
Obama was obviously referring to Palin with the "lipstick on the pig" comment, but Palin is the metaphorical lipstick here. She'd just associated the word with herself, so obviously it was some pretty clever wordplay. What Obama was saying is that now that they've brought Sarah Palin in with her hockey schtick, McCain's campaign is trying to make itself out as being for "change." Obama was saying that the addition of Sarah Palin is like lipstick on a pig — it's still the same old campaign it always was.
So, he meant that Palin is the lipstick on McCain (=pig).

Yes, much more clever

-t

Forum Links
Forum Rules