Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Managing file permissions.

Managing file permissions.
superapplegeek
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 1, 2010, 09:40 AM

Hey guys, I haven't given the appropriate time to understand permissions in OS X, and I 've been having some issues with it, I am decently versed in unix so I supposed I had pretty much understood permission issues. But I have been having problems copying files between my macs, permissions problems.

As far as I can understand I need to set a uniform user name across my macs (I am not sure how I can change my current user name, can i?), is that correct? Hence all the files will have permissions for a set user, myself and won't have any issues.

But what about a friends mac? Do you set permissions to everyone so that you can transfer files and not have a problem viewing the, or someone else.

I ve also found it hard to just select a folder and have all the subfolders change permissions.

Thanks!

Cold Warrior
Jan 1, 2010, 10:54 AM

how are you performing the copies? I've never had issues using file shares, external storage, or even scp, all with different logins.

superapplegeek  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 1, 2010, 01:59 PM

Hey cold warrior. Happy new year, all the best!

This is an answer I wasn't expecting to tell you the truth, because I thought it was an inherent systemic thing with unix/os x, the permissions issue.

I am just hooking up a couple of macs either via wifi (ad hoc or via network) or via ethernet cable.

Very strange that you say you haven't had issues with different logins...strange that is that I seem to have issues.

Cold Warrior
Jan 1, 2010, 02:07 PM

If you're trying to view, modify, write or delete files on a remote Mac, then yes you'll definitely have to have the proper credentials and/or permissions on the remote Mac. I thought you were copying or uploading then having permissions issues with the new local copy.

If you want to upload, you can use a user's Public folder once File Sharing is turned on, and using File Sharing preferences, you can also assign specific permissions such as read/write.

superapplegeek  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 1, 2010, 02:43 PM

Yes I am having issues with the new local copy.

Let me be more exact:
When I copy a folder from my powerbook to my imacs say, I try to delete it then on the imac and it gives me a hard time, it asks for user name and password, so far I have set all passwords to nothing so I just press enter/return. Sometime the same folder won't be permanently deleted of the trash can for similar reasons. And sometimes even modifying the file is problematic, but I don't remember a particular example to tell you the truth.

But say I want to modify files on a remote mac, what I will be asked for is the owners permission credentials right? Like the username and password I or someone else have set on the remote mac.

What is the default permissions assigned by each created file, on most programs at least? Is there a way I can universally assign either restrictive or very permissive permissions to all files that are created in an application, or system wide?

Forum Links
Forum Rules