Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > MacBook Pro... I've been patient, should I get upset?

MacBook Pro... I've been patient, should I get upset?
memory-minus
Senior User
Dec 4, 2006, 02:49 PM

Hello all,

In late September my built-in iSight on my 15" MacBook Pro went on the fritz. I took it to the Apple Store where they promptly checked it in for service. I mentioned the whine (this is an early first gen) and they agreed to replace the logic board no problem.

Got it back quickly. Whine is gone, camera works, very happy.

Mid-October, the computer started shutting itself off randomly, about 2 times a day. Hard drive starts making a grinding noise (VERY bad) and the screen developed some very odd "anomalies" -- they are hard to describe. Regardless, took it back to the Apple Store. They checked it in no problem for a replacement screen, hard drive and another logic board. This was October 28th. I did not get the computer back until November 28th. Very unpleased about the wait, however, I was extremely polite and they were very apologetic so I just let it slide. Just very happy the issues were fixed, or so it seemed.

The very next day, the computer starts shutting itself off again. In Mac OS (twice) and once in Windows (via BootCamp). Brought it back in on Saturday (the 2nd) and was told they would diagnose it and call me tomorrow (Sunday). As of right now, no call. I am a ProCare member so supposedly I should be getting priority service. Starting to get very peeved about not having my laptop. I do have an old desktop so it's not the end of the world, however, I would like to have my laptop back.

Any suggestions? Time to get upset or just keep it chill? Should I ask for a new computer?

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 4, 2006, 02:50 PM

I'm in the same boat as you with my MacBook and am thinking about demanding a new one also.

"She's gone from suck to blow!"

brapper
Professional Poster
Dec 4, 2006, 03:55 PM

Yes. Demand a new one.

Railroader
Banned
Dec 4, 2006, 04:06 PM

New one.

Y3a
Mac Elite
Dec 4, 2006, 04:29 PM

Scream to manager that they have LIED to you, and haven't kept you informed as to real turnaround time AND DEMAND NEW ONE!

powerbook867
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 4, 2006, 04:42 PM

+1 for a new one..
Joe

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 4, 2006, 04:56 PM

Ok ok tell me if I should be mad:

MacBook Black

1) First one had broken trackpad. Exchanged for a new unit
2) Unit #2 trackpad became mushy after 2 weeks. Took it in for repair, after repair it was WORSE. Took it in again, after repair same problem but in a different location on the trackpad.
3) Heat sync replacement for sudden shutdown.
4) Power adapter got hot as hell that it almost burned me. Called it in and Apple sent a new one.
5) Current trackpad is mushy and sometimes stops working altogether including when using bootcamp so it must be hardware.
6) Now the optical drive doesn't read many DVD +Rs even though it once did.

So how mad should I be?

"She's gone from suck to blow!"

MOTHERWELL
Senior User
Dec 4, 2006, 04:57 PM

I had a problem with a Quick Silver G4 about 3 years ago. I had to go through many replacement parts before Apple agreed to give me a new computer. The whole ordeal was incredibly stressful - the phone calls, the waiting, the random people telling me that my computer doesn't need to be replaced. ..

I was forced to work on a powerbook, which slowed things down incredibly because After Effects needs to render constantly.

So if you can convince Apple, get a new powerbook instead of dealing with the same problem over and over again.

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 4, 2006, 05:10 PM

I never had any problems with Apple hardware (except the Mighty Mouse which just sucks by design).

peeb
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 4, 2006, 05:28 PM

I find quiet, polite, relentless insistance works better than screaming. Have had a good experience with apple warranty replacements if you calmly explain everything you've been through, I bet you'll get what you want.

::maroma::
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 4, 2006, 05:36 PM

I think you have the right to demand a brand new one. You've been through enough crap with this model that you should just tell them that you feel no amount of replacing parts will fix all the issues with it, so a brand new one is in order.

It also gets to a point with Apple where its more expensive for them to keep replacing parts rather than just give you a whole new computer.

Weezer
Mac Elite
Dec 4, 2006, 05:59 PM

Originally Posted by Dark Helmet View Post
Ok ok tell me if I should be mad:

MacBook Black

1) First one had broken trackpad. Exchanged for a new unit
2) Unit #2 trackpad became mushy after 2 weeks. Took it in for repair, after repair it was WORSE. Took it in again, after repair same problem but in a different location on the trackpad.
3) Heat sync replacement for sudden shutdown.
4) Power adapter got hot as hell that it almost burned me. Called it in and Apple sent a new one.
5) Current trackpad is mushy and sometimes stops working altogether including when using bootcamp so it must be hardware.
6) Now the optical drive doesn't read many DVD +Rs even though it once did.

So how mad should I be?
man, you get bad wiis, bad macbooks, you just have bad luck

Imac Core Duo 1.83/1.5 GB/20 inch cinema, ibook G4 1 ghz

memory-minus  (op)
Senior User
Dec 4, 2006, 08:41 PM

I called today to get the status of the latest repair, and after being put on hold to "check the notes" for a couple minutes they came back on the line and offered me a brand new MacBook Pro, which I gladly accepted. I didn't even have to ask for a replacement. Just got back from picking it up, and it is the new Core 2 Duo $2499 model, which is what I paid originally for this first gen back in March. Could not be happier with the ease of the swap and I didn't have to raise my voice a single time throughout the entire ordeal.

Thanks Apple!

Dec 4, 2006, 09:00 PM

Vewy vewy scawy.

Demand a new one.

powerbook867
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 4, 2006, 09:08 PM

That's great news memory-minus...

I'm guessing the fact that you didn't raise your voice assisted in your cause.
Joe

brokenjago
Mac Elite
Dec 5, 2006, 06:24 AM

Excellent! I bet you're loving the extra HD space and the bump up to 2 GB RAM!

Note to self: Must get more RAM for Mac Pro.
Linkinus is king.

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 6, 2006, 06:05 PM

Strike three, you're out!

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

HazelGirl
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 8, 2006, 10:17 PM

good for you! my screen on my mbp was messed up and they are waiting for a part to come in....its been over a week since i sent it in and i leave at the end of next week...i sure hope that i get it back before then I really need my laptop. I have to work on my painfully slow g4 mini....its not painfully slow, really but compared to the mbp, its pretty sluggish.
Mac Mini G4 1.33 Ghz:40GBhf, 512MBRAM, 32MBVRAM
MBP 15.4' 2.33Ghz:160GBhd, 2GBRAM, 256MBVRAM
iMac 24' 2.4 Ghz, 300GBhd, 2GBRAM, 256MBVRAM
80GB iPod Classic (black)

Forum Links
Forum Rules