Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Anyone noticed Opera 6 beta1?

Anyone noticed Opera 6 beta1?
ablaze
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 29, 2002, 02:29 PM

It seems to be out since 9/28.
I'm just downloading it now and curious if this could be a competitor to Chimera and Omniweb�

ablaze  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 29, 2002, 02:33 PM

I'm actually writing this in Opera 6. Seems to work fast and clean. The look is somewhat strange, espacially the tabs. So there's work to do. The rest seems polished and fast. Nice one.

ablaze  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 29, 2002, 02:34 PM

Zooming is really nice, btw

D'Espice
Mac Elite
Sep 29, 2002, 07:12 PM

Yes, I've noticed it few days ago (there was actually a thread about Opera 6b1 being released in here few days ago).

It's slow, ugly and crashed four times during the 20 minutes it had to convince me that it's better than Internet Explorer, Chimera, Omniweb or Mozilla. Needless to say, it did not succeed.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one
pretty and well preserved piece, but to skid across the line broadside,
thoroughly used up, worn out, leaking oil, shouting GERONIMO!"

Moonray
Mac Elite
Sep 29, 2002, 07:26 PM

Yup, people noticed and discussed a while ago in http://forums.macnn.com/showthread.php?threadid=125012.
And it's also a cpu hog.

-

ambush
Banned
Sep 29, 2002, 09:28 PM

It's not worth s#*t..

And I hope someone sues them for saying that it's the fastest browser on earth.. chimera i like 2 times faster.

stevenhaddon
Sep 30, 2002, 03:48 AM

The Mac version still doesn't have it, but I have hopes. I use opera on my Win 2K machine at work and it blows IE out of the water. The Mac version needs to improve significantly to get that far, though.

Things I like:
- Save window state - it automatically starts up with all the windows and pages you were browsing when you quit (optional, but very useful).
- "Add bookmarks here..." option in all sub-folders of the bookmarks menu, so you can quickly add a bookmarks anywhere without having to use a bookmarks manager etc.
- You can put the location bar and the tabs at the bottom of the window. I use this all the time - it speeds things up, especially if you do a lot of switching between apps & web pages, as I do.

Just generally, it's very very customisable. I still use OW on the Mac, but I'm keeping an eye on this one.

Steve

Sven G
Professional Poster
Sep 30, 2002, 03:57 AM

The interface is almost shockingly chaotic (and, therefore, also more Classic-like than OS X-like): when Opera will have an "ordinary" web browser interface, with one window with panes and/or drawers, I'll consider using it...

The freedom of all is essential to my freedom. - Mikhail Bakunin

His Dudeness
Mac Elite
Sep 30, 2002, 09:32 AM

Every single of version of Opera, and iCab, fwiw, sucked ass. I stick with what works: Chimera and Mozilla.

KidRed
Professional Poster
Sep 30, 2002, 11:59 AM

Yea, I noticed it. Then i noticed how much the icons sucked. Then I noticed that I didn't like the UI, I noticed that I couldn't customize my toolbar or figure out how to.

So then I noticed that it needed to be thrown away.
All Your Signature Are Belong To Us!

dwishbone
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 30, 2002, 12:37 PM

MOZILLAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
24" iMac 2.13ghz C2D | 15" MBP 2ghz CD | "Soundwave" 60GB 5G iPod

Forum Links
Forum Rules