Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > 'tis the season..snow screensaver for OsX?

'tis the season..snow screensaver for OsX?
melanie
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 28, 2002, 10:40 AM

I've been hunting the web for one and can't seem to find one. I used Holiday Lights for my os 9 machines and would like something similar for X.
Thanks a bunch
Melanie
melanie

stevenhaddon
Nov 28, 2002, 10:59 AM

Try "Sno", look it up on versiontracker.com.

That's the second time I've mentioned that program today...honestly, I am not affiliated with the authors in any way... [hastily tries to disguise huge sack of cash as bean bag chair].

Steve

melanie  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 28, 2002, 01:45 PM

thanks a bunch....LOL
melanie

BGK
Forum Regular
Nov 28, 2002, 05:44 PM

yeah, this program is awesome!
I want the ability to sleep in the snow, if I have to. I want the ability to want to.

Chris Grande
Senior User
Nov 28, 2002, 11:54 PM

I really like the one Apple has running in its retail stores.

libraryguy
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 29, 2002, 12:08 AM

Originally posted by Chris Grande:
I really like the one Apple has running in its retail stores.
What one is that?

"When you do the common things in life in an uncommon way, you will command the attention of the world." -George Washington Carver

runningdog
Forum Regular
Nov 30, 2002, 01:07 AM

Here's another snowflake screensaver but it doesn't have all the options as the Sno screensaver. Nicer looking flakes though.

AU_student_iceBook
Senior User
Nov 30, 2002, 01:30 AM

Originally posted by libraryguy:

What one is that?
ANSWER:
The screensaver he is refering to is being run by the 17" iMac in most window displays. I asked the genuis in my Apple store about it tonight, and he says it is a quicktime movie, made just for that purpose. Several people have asked about it, and it is not available to the public.
-it was kind like....a bummmer.

dpfenninger
Forum Regular
Nov 30, 2002, 01:41 AM

Originally posted by runningdog:
Here's another snowflake screensaver but it doesn't have all the options as the Sno screensaver. Nicer looking flakes though.
Thank you, thank you, THANK YOU!

I was at the Apple Store opening at Oakbrook tonight, and spotted an iMac with that exact display that was mentioned here...large snowflakes swirling around on a light blue screen, very nice. I took a picture:

http://homepage.mac.com/dpfenninger/...geDSCF0054.jpg

I asked an employee, and he went and asked the manager...the manager approached me (wow, what great service for such a stupid question on such a busy night...Apple retail rocks!) and said it's not available, it's made especially for the window display Macs.

I was sad. But after seeing the above download, I'm happy again...that is pretty much what it looked like!

Andrew 8808
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 30, 2002, 02:02 AM

Quick, someone go and snatch that file, and upload it somewhere I wanna see it, I'll have to look at the Apple store tomorrow when I'm over that way.

AU_student_iceBook
Senior User
Nov 30, 2002, 02:30 AM

This one is really pretty close to the movie at the apple store....thanks to Mathew and his hard work on the screen saver!

mrtew
Professional Poster
Nov 30, 2002, 02:39 AM

That is much better than the Sno one and uses much less CPU. The only problem for me is the blue background. I'd rather have ANY other color almost. Can someone tell me how to change that? I love to hack my screensavers!

I love the U.S., but we need some time apart.

AliP
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 30, 2002, 03:25 AM

The release notes state that you weren't sure whether it it would work in Jag but it does. Excellente!
KRO
Ali P

niji
Forum Regular
Nov 30, 2002, 03:29 AM

i like the original sno.
the screen saver is nice, but the desktop program to have snowflakes falling on yr desktop while you work is really great. i like it that the snowflakes fall BEHIND yr work window, and you can see them as they fall around the sides of yr window and as they fall under yr window and as they fall through and under the dock. way cool.(way cold!)

link for it. go get it now:
http://www.versiontracker.com/morein...d=12724&db=mac

and, here is the link to the author's page. at the very least go to this link and see the pictures of what yr desktop can be:
http://www.ittpoi.com/sno.html
( Last edited by niji; Nov 30, 2002 at 09:39 PM. )

nelliott
Forum Regular
Nov 30, 2002, 07:59 AM

On a similar subject, does anyone know of any nice christmassy desktop pictures?

BGK
Forum Regular
Nov 30, 2002, 01:37 PM

I like this thread. yes, the falling snow on the desktop while you do other things cool; I only turn it off when I'm doing something more serious that needs more processor power, such as Photoshop, or watching a movie, etc.

I too would like to get my hands on some cool Wintery/Holiday backgrounds.
I want the ability to sleep in the snow, if I have to. I want the ability to want to.

mrtew
Professional Poster
Nov 30, 2002, 03:07 PM

Originally posted by BGK:
I like this thread. yes, the falling snow on the desktop while you do other things cool; I only turn it off when I'm doing something more serious that needs more processor power, such as Photoshop, or watching a movie, etc.

Doesn't the fan blowing full strength all the time bother/worry you?

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 30, 2002, 03:51 PM

I can't get this to work. I keep ending up with a .sitx file. I tried changing the extension to .sit but Stuffit Expander still won't uncompress it.

Slick shoes?! Are you crazy?!

BGK
Forum Regular
Nov 30, 2002, 03:59 PM

I unstuffed mine successfully with expander 7.0, the latest version. try that.

dpfenninger
Forum Regular
Nov 30, 2002, 03:59 PM

Originally posted by Stogieman:

I can't get this to work. I keep ending up with a .sitx file. I tried changing the extension to .sit but Stuffit Expander still won't uncompress it.
.sitx are Stuffit Expander 7 files, and won't uncompress with earlier versions.

Download Stuffit Expander 7.0.1 (latest, bug-fixed version) and you should be in business:

http://www.macupdate.com/download.ph...01.sit?id=6326

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 30, 2002, 04:34 PM

Thanks guys. The newest version unstuffed it without any problems.

chezpaul
Senior User
Nov 30, 2002, 05:28 PM

So what's the best program to have your sceen saver run in the background as your desktop.. I know there are a few out there.. ins't there one that's better than the others ???
Dual 1 Gig DDR & 15' Powerbook 867 MHz, Sony Ericsson T637 phone

LightWaver-67
Senior User
Nov 30, 2002, 06:21 PM

Issue with SnowSaver� module.

For some reason, it only works on one of my three displays. On the other two, the flakes are just flat, square polygons... no transparency at all.

I have:

-Main (with menu bar): AGP GeForce4 Ti (fairly new) - SnowSaver� does not work.
-Secondary: PCI Radeon 8500(?) 64MB - SnowSaver� works great...!
-Tertiary: PCI Radeon MacEdition (older) - Snow saver does not work.

Anyone know why it's not working...? what isn't being supported...? It should be simple OpenGL objects rotating on-screen with transparency... right...?

Odd...

- Scott

funkboy
Professional Poster
Nov 30, 2002, 06:39 PM

So the SnowSaver looks great on my iBook, but unfortunately my beige G3 can't handle it. I still have the original Rage Pro graphics card running everything.

Who's got a spare Rage 128 PCI card laying around they could spare?

C.J. Moof
Mac Elite
Nov 30, 2002, 11:45 PM

Originally posted by chezpaul:
So what's the best program to have your sceen saver run in the background as your desktop.. I know there are a few out there.. ins't there one that's better than the others ???
I'd say Backlight is the best. They all get to the same place, but it puts up a handy menubar addition where you can easily toggle it on/off, change the saver, renice it, ect.

http://versiontracker.com/moreinfo.fcgi?id=16015&db=mac
OS X: Where software installation doesn't require wizards with shields.

ericwass
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 30, 2002, 11:56 PM

Originally posted by chezpaul:
I use Backlight. I think it's great.

Let me second the motion for a way to alter the BG color of SnowSaver.
"Pfft. I know a genuine Panaphonics when I see it. And look, there's Magnetbox and Sorny." -HJS

neilnet
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 1, 2002, 10:17 AM

Here's another snowflake screensaver but it doesn't have all the options as the Sno screensaver. Nicer looking flakes though
So I want this, but am only using Stuffit 6, which of course doesn't decompress

I've tried to dl 7, but on a 56k modem it's painful, and to top it off, it cit off for me when I was at 7mb. boohoo.

Don't suppose I could get someone to host the unzipped file?

'twould be jolly appreciated.

Neil
I no longer have a signature.

Weezer
Mac Elite
Dec 1, 2002, 05:47 PM

metamatic
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 1, 2002, 08:30 PM

Originally posted by mrtew:

That is much better than the Sno one and uses much less CPU. The only problem for me is the blue background. I'd rather have ANY other color almost. Can someone tell me how to change that? I love to hack my screensavers!
No need to hack... just wait. I'm working on a 1.1 release that has a preferences sheet with a color well that lets you change the color to whatever you want.

The next release will also add configurable depth fogging, configurable number of snowflakes, and configurable scene depth. Maybe a couple more snowflake shapes too.

I also plan to submit the next release to MacUpdate; if you're really desperate to get it ASAP, keep an eye on my journal page (URL for my web site is in the read me).

I've no idea why people with multiple monitors are having problems with only one of them showing snow, and unless someone buys me a multi-monitor setup it's gonna be hard for me to debug. :-) If anyone knows what the problem is, drop me an e-mail, the Apple documentation doesn't mention having to do anything special to handle multiple monitors.

I also don't know why coming out of full-screen preview dumps the textures. I have some defensive programming I'm going to try, but it's not a big priority to fix because it's purely cosmetic. I've seen similar problems with other screensavers too.

Geobunny
Mac Elite
Dec 1, 2002, 09:27 PM

I've always loved Snow for Macintosh, and the original XSnow which worked on x-windows. Unfortunately, it's not been ported to Mac OS X and it doesn't show anything when run in classic.

You can download it from http://www.euronet.nl/~rja/MacSnow/ please do so, and do try it. You'll have to boot into Mac OS < X for it to work. Running in Classic shows nothing. It's really great, you can have the snow pile up on windows and at the bottom of the screen. It doesn't even seem to hit the CPU that badly. If you follow the link to the X-Windows version, you can download the source code, but I've never ported anything from one platform to another. Any brave soul feel like trying? I'd love you forever!!!
ClamXav - the free virus scanner for Mac OS X | Geobunny learns to fly

mrtew
Professional Poster
Dec 1, 2002, 11:22 PM

Originally posted by metamatic:

No need to hack... just wait. I'm working on a 1.1 release that has a preferences sheet with a color well that lets you change the color to whatever you want.
The next release will also add configurable depth fogging, configurable number of snowflakes, and configurable scene depth. Maybe a couple more snowflake shapes too.

That sounds fantastic!!! But HURRY! Christmas is almost here!!! HURRY!!! Release a new version with each new feature that you get done... that would make each one more exciting! HURRY!

mrtew
Professional Poster
Dec 1, 2002, 11:48 PM

..... nevermind!!! I see you already did release a new version! COOL! So nice to have the new features.... I don't think the fog works yet, right? but the other stuff is great... especially the background color picker. Here's the link for people that don't want to dig!

http://meta.livejournal.com/

Nebagakid
Mac Elite
Dec 1, 2002, 11:50 PM

Originally posted by Weezer:
http://www.notpennstate.com/SnowSaver/
i like, and i love it

but, it shows squares instead of snow flakes, so it looks like the snow flakes are falling, but they are just white OpenGl squares.... i see the real version in the preview window...so.hmmmmmm

-Q-
Dec 2, 2002, 11:54 AM

Originally posted by BGK:

I too would like to get my hands on some cool Wintery/Holiday backgrounds.
Try here: MacDesktops

geran
Forum Regular
Dec 2, 2002, 02:36 PM

Any one got a desktop picture simular to the desktop image this refrigerator got:

http://www.lgappliances.com/images/r...tors/2661T.jpg

Little bigger image on front page...

http://www.lgappliances.com/
( Last edited by geran; Dec 2, 2002 at 02:41 PM. )

Developer
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 2, 2002, 03:01 PM

Originally posted by metamatic:

I'm working on a 1.1 release.
Would it be possible to make the flakes thicker? Currently they have a zero height which looks a little bit unnatural.

And could you add more realistic physics? So that flakes fall faster if they are rotated vertically, and fall slower and drift more sideways if they are rotated horizontally.
Nasrudin sat on a river bank when someone shouted to him from the opposite side: "Hey! how do I get across?" "You are across!" Nasrudin shouted back.

ericwass
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 2, 2002, 03:10 PM

Originally posted by mrtew:
..... nevermind!!! I see you already did release a new version! COOL! So nice to have the new features.... I don't think the fog works yet, right? but the other stuff is great... especially the background color picker. Here's the link for people that don't want to dig!

http://meta.livejournal.com/
Strange. The new beta doesn't work for me. The original worked fine but this one just has the falling polygons and no user options. PMG4 1gHz x 2 nVidia GeForce 4 MX.

Oh well, back to the original... Thanks to the author for working so hard!
"Pfft. I know a genuine Panaphonics when I see it. And look, there's Magnetbox and Sorny." -HJS

xi_hyperon
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 2, 2002, 03:15 PM

Originally posted by LightWaver-67:
Issue with SnowSaver� module.

For some reason, it only works on one of my three displays. On the other two, the flakes are just flat, square polygons... no transparency at all.

I have:

-Main (with menu bar): AGP GeForce4 Ti (fairly new) - SnowSaver� does not work.
-Secondary: PCI Radeon 8500(?) 64MB - SnowSaver� works great...!
-Tertiary: PCI Radeon MacEdition (older) - Snow saver does not work.

Anyone know why it's not working...? what isn't being supported...? It should be simple OpenGL objects rotating on-screen with transparency... right...?

Odd...

- Scott
I have the issue with the polygons also. If you switch to thousands of colors, the flakes will work. However, even with color set to 1000s, the screensaver does not work when you lock the screen (password protect). Too bad, because this one blows away Sno. Eh, that wasn't an intended pun, btw.

Anyway, could these issues be addressed in future versions?

mrchin
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 3, 2002, 08:23 AM

I've got Sno going with various Nightmare Before Xmas clips as my desktop background.

Oh, 'tis the season!
Dual 2.0 G5/2.5GB/ATI 9800 Pro | MacBook Pro 2.16 Gore Duo/2GB/ATI X1600

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Dec 3, 2002, 05:52 PM

The snowsaver looks good in my background, but there should be an option to make them fall slower. Too much visual noise in my background as is.

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

Nebagakid
Mac Elite
Dec 3, 2002, 06:25 PM

Originally posted by Nebagakid:

i like, and i love it

but, it shows squares instead of snow flakes, so it looks like the snow flakes are falling, but they are just white OpenGl squares.... i see the real version in the preview window...so.hmmmmmm
heh, i disconnected my second monitory, so now it works

how can i get it as my desktop background?

hmmmmmm?

RedStarr
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 3, 2002, 09:20 PM

Found this link over at Mac addict forums Savers
( Last edited by RedStarr; Dec 3, 2002 at 10:47 PM. )

Synotic
Mac Elite
Dec 3, 2002, 10:14 PM

Originally posted by RedStarr:
Found this link over at Mac addict forums Savers
They're nice but I'm guessing they have just been recorded from TV. They're not very good quality :-/ I would love it if anyone could try to recreate the first snow screensaver in 3D... Since I don't do any 3D I don't know how hard it would be... But it would be perfect using backlight especially because of the slow speed (though this may be a side effect of it being a movie)
( Last edited by Synotic; Dec 3, 2002 at 10:21 PM. )

nelliott
Forum Regular
Dec 4, 2002, 06:36 AM

Originally posted by Synotic:
They're nice but I'm guessing they have just been recorded from TV. They're not very good quality :-/ I would love it if anyone could try to recreate the first snow screensaver in 3D... Since I don't do any 3D I don't know how hard it would be... But it would be perfect using backlight especially because of the slow speed (though this may be a side effect of it being a movie)
I second that request - that first one sure is pretty .

Anymore desktop pictures? - macdesktops' ones are a bit naff for my liking.

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Dec 4, 2002, 07:03 AM

Originally posted by nelliott:

I second that request - that first one sure is pretty .

Anymore desktop pictures? - macdesktops' ones are a bit naff for my liking.
Yup, the graphics looks very nice, but they scale horrible. A better encoding scheme would probably help, but a higher resolution movie would be best.

Doing this in (not pre-rendered) 3d would be extremely hard.

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

Nebagakid
Mac Elite
Dec 4, 2002, 09:08 PM

I look forward to more updates of SnowSaver!

it is cool, with a k!

Forum Links
Forum Rules