Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Opera 6 b3: smooth scrolling

Opera 6 b3: smooth scrolling
workerbee
Mac Elite
Dec 3, 2002, 07:26 PM

Ahhh, so it can be done after all. Nice, smooth, accelerating and decelerating scrolling in a web browser under OSX (using the arrows, that is). I was beginning to doubt...

Now, is there a way to get the other browsers to scroll as nicely -- it's really easy on the eyes, IMHO, and I'd much like OmniWeb to work that way. And all Mozillas. And IE, while we're at it.
MBP 15" 2.33GHz C2D 3GB 2*23" ACD

zazou
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 3, 2002, 07:28 PM

...think OW5

Haven't you noticed? Chronic cynicism takes no skills, little energy, no education, and if you do it really well in poorly-lit coffee-houses, it gets you laid.

macmike42
Senior User
Dec 3, 2002, 07:40 PM

Originally posted by zazou:
...think OW5
If only they did this with Chimera, some Joe Schmo Cocoa Coder (JSCC?) could make an object out of it and put it in any application. Now all we need is ActiveX and we'll...oh nevermind.
"Think Different. Like The Rest Of Us."

iBook G4/1.2GHz | 1.25GB | 60GB | Mac OS X 10.4.2
Athlon XP 2500+/1.83GHz | 1GB PC3200 | 120GB | Windows XP

Developer
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 3, 2002, 08:10 PM

It's not smooth scrolling for me.
Nasrudin sat on a river bank when someone shouted to him from the opposite side: "Hey! how do I get across?" "You are across!" Nasrudin shouted back.

a holck
Senior User
Dec 3, 2002, 08:22 PM

No smooth scrolling for me either.
Is it an option?

Jan Van Boghout
Dec 4, 2002, 02:15 AM

Where did you find b3 ? Their site only lists b2 as the latest release for Mac.

stevenhaddon
Dec 4, 2002, 05:20 AM

Beta 3 is on Versiontracker.

It isn't scrolling smoothly for me either. In fact, stickily would pretty much describe it, although the documentation says that the authors know the speed is an issue.

Opera might be a viable proposition at some point (the PC version is very fast) but needs a lot of work.

Steve

zazou
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 4, 2002, 03:13 PM

Originally posted by stevenhaddon:
Beta 3 is on Versiontracker.

It isn't scrolling smoothly for me either. In fact, stickily would pretty much describe it, although the documentation says that the authors know the speed is an issue.

Opera might be a viable proposition at some point (the PC version is very fast) but needs a lot of work.

Steve
Like Gecko, I think the Opera engine is the key. The UI needs some help pretty bad!

The Opera engine with a well-written Cocoa UI would make it very nice.

The thing is, unlike Gecko, it is proprietary and sold as license. It isn't open source.

But, lastly, Omni is being extremely quiet in regard to OW 5. I am hoping for a bombshell!

Haven't you noticed? Chronic cynicism takes no skills, little energy, no education, and if you do it really well in poorly-lit coffee-houses, it gets you laid.

workerbee  (op)
Mac Elite
Dec 4, 2002, 07:59 PM

Originally posted by zazou:
The Opera engine with a well-written Cocoa UI would make it very nice.
Especially if and when they'll decide to port the Opera 7 engine to OSX. DOM, CSS-2, what-have-you (Haven't tested it yet, though, just read about).

But, lastly, Omni is being extremely quiet in regard to OW 5.
Makes one wonder, doesn't it? Let's hope they're indeed brewing something majorly cool (i.e. compliant) @ Omni... and also that they'll have nice, smooth scrolling

macmike42
Senior User
Dec 5, 2002, 01:33 AM

Originally posted by workerbee:
Ahhh, so it can be done after all. Nice, smooth, accelerating and decelerating scrolling in a web browser under OSX (using the arrows, that is). I was beginning to doubt...
Well, would care to enlighten us as to what exactly it is that you are talking about? Scrolling in Opera 6.0b3 is exactly as "smooth" for me as it is in IE 5.2.2 and Chimera build 2002120404. As in, perfectly "smooth" for my tastes, but not "smooth" as in what IE does in Win95 by default. Are you mistaken or have I missed an option?
"Think Different. Like The Rest Of Us."

iBook G4/1.2GHz | 1.25GB | 60GB | Mac OS X 10.4.2
Athlon XP 2500+/1.83GHz | 1GB PC3200 | 120GB | Windows XP

workerbee  (op)
Mac Elite
Dec 5, 2002, 05:16 AM

Originally posted by macmike42:
Well, would care to enlighten us as to what exactly it is that you are talking about? Scrolling in Opera 6.0b3 is exactly as "smooth" for me as it is in IE 5.2.2 and Chimera build 2002120404. As in, perfectly "smooth" for my tastes, but not "smooth" as in what IE does in Win95 by default. Are you mistaken or have I missed an option?
I was browsing http://arstechnica.infopop.net/OpenT...1&m=6310931045 at the time, and this page was/is scrolling really nicely on Opera 6b3 when using the arrows. It is not as jumpy as OW or IE or Chimera. Maybe because Opera scrolls more than one line per click on an arrow button. It also looks (to me) as if it had an change of scrolling speed at the beginning and end of the scroll, and therefore looks a bit more Windows-ish (which, let's be honest, is really what text scrolling in a browser should be like: smooth and agreeable to the eye). When I keep the mouse button pressed on the arrow, the page flies by a lot faster that with all the other browsers, and has much less of these annoying little hesitations (stop-and-go).

However, scrolling this Macnn Forum page in Opera is just as choppy as with the other browsers.

I tried to capture it with Snapz, but this rendered my system (a lowly TiBook 800MHz with 1GB RAM) almost unusable, and Opera certainly stopped doing anything at all.

Sorry if I was maybe a bit over-enthusiastic there...

SMacTech
Mac Elite
Dec 5, 2002, 08:53 AM

I thought it scrolled slower than others, particularly Chimera and testing it here on some long forums showed that it was considerably slower on rendering long forums on my G4 cube.

mrtew
Professional Poster
Dec 5, 2002, 07:40 PM

Originally posted by workerbee:

I was browsing http://arstechnica.infopop.net/OpenT...1&m=6310931045 at the time, and this page was/is scrolling really nicely on Opera 6b3 when using the arrows. It is not as jumpy as OW or IE or Chimera.

That's really BIZARRE! That page doesn't scroll at ALL for me on Chimera with the arrow keys. The scroll wheel and scrollbar work the same for me as any other page but the arrows are completely dead. I've never seen a webpage that did that before!

I love the U.S., but we need some time apart.

Forum Links
Forum Rules