Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > avi format movies on Quicktime

avi format movies on Quicktime
akreis
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 24, 2003, 07:46 PM

I can`t watch movies in avi format with quicktime. Does anybody know how I can change this?

rytc
Senior User
Jan 24, 2003, 07:54 PM

Originally posted by akreis:
I can`t watch movies in avi format with quicktime. Does anybody know how I can change this?
This has been covered many many many times before. Do a search. For starters .avi is not a single format rather a wrapper around many different codecs. Your movie is probably a DIVX movie. Download DIVX codecs or get VLC. But first search the forums for a complete discussion, type divx into google also.

entrox
Senior User
Jan 24, 2003, 07:55 PM

Download Divx Doctor and repair the AVI. Additionally you'll have to install a suiting codec, if you haven't already - get one from 3ivx .

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Jan 24, 2003, 08:39 PM

QuickTime can play all movies in the AVI format, except those in the Indeo codecs (because the company who makes Indeo has stopped developing it for any platform).

The problem is, even though DivX files are labeled as AVI's, they're not. That's why QuickTime has trouble; it's not QuickTime, it's a fundamental flaw in the DivX specification itself. The problem is in the audio, not the video; this is why QuickTime has problems with the audio. Files which use only DivX video, but not DivX audio (which is essentially MP3) are close enough that QuickTime can play them if you install the DivX codec.

Unfortunately, most DivX files do use that audio, and that is what causes the problem. As others here have pointed out, there are several solutions for fixing the files. If you have a G4, you should use the 3ivx codec and DivX Doctor II, because this combination is better-optimized for AltiVec. http://www.3ivx.com and http://doctor.3ivx.com respectively.

If you have a G3 chip (all iBooks, any PowerBook that doesn't have a metal case, any iMac that doesn't have a flat screen, and any Power Mac that isn't grey) then you should go for the official DivX codec at http://www.divx.com instead. While it's not as good as 3ivx's codec if you have AltiVec, it's better if you don't. This comes with their own program "DivX validator" and a buggy AVI parser, the combination of which will work around -but not fix- the problem with DivX files; you can play them but they'll still be in that format.
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

Jansar
Professional Poster
Jan 24, 2003, 08:47 PM

You're going to be led a lot of places. However, only one program can actually play those types of files. MPlayer OSX
World of Warcraft (Whisperwind - Alliance) <The Eternal Spiral>
Go Dogcows!

stevenhaddon
Jan 24, 2003, 08:54 PM

I second the recommendation for MPlayer. It plays .avi and most other formats straight out of the box. Plus it'll give you full screen playback; Quicktime will only give you this if you pay extra for the Pro version.

Steve

patzoul
Jan 24, 2003, 09:36 PM

In addition to mplayer, I also recommend vlc that you can download at www.videolan.org.

Forum Links
Forum Rules