Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Which is Better: Entourage or Apple Mail

Which is Better: Entourage or Apple Mail
Timothy Maxwell
Forum Regular
Feb 21, 2003, 11:20 PM

In reading a few posts I noticed that some are using the OS X mail application rather than Entourage. Which do you think is better? I'm currently using Entourage.
Timothy Maxwell
Bankers Mortgage Corporation
FHA Direct Lenders • No Down Payment • Bad Credit OK

Visit us on the Web at http://www.Bankersmc.com

Severed Hand of Skywalker
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 21, 2003, 11:39 PM

Entourage is much better when it comes to features but Mail is cleaner cuz it offers much less.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

Ozmodiar
Mac Elite
Feb 22, 2003, 12:38 AM

That's right.

It's really a matter of functionality. Do you need a calendar built into your e-mail client? Then use Entourage. If you just check your e-mail once in a while (and keep it simple) then Mail.app is the way to go.

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Feb 22, 2003, 01:44 AM

Mail.app also has the ability to update its Dock icon to show you quickly how much mail you have. That feature alone pretty sold me on it.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

OptimusG4
Mac Elite
Feb 22, 2003, 02:04 AM

I just use Mail because its clean, light, and does what I need for email. Not to mention, that Boune to Sender option for spam
"Another classic science-fiction show cancelled before its time" ~ Bender

15.2" PowerBook 1.25GHz, 80GB HD, 768MB RAM, SuperDrive

a holck
Senior User
Feb 22, 2003, 02:18 AM

im using Mail

Jerommeke
Mac Elite
Feb 22, 2003, 04:31 AM

I have switched from Entourage to mail app somewhat time ago. Some reasons:
- system wide address book integration 9also into mail)
- neat way of integrating LDAP
- quickness
- tired of M$ crap
- very nice interface
- Entourage had much features which where pretty useless, for example Calendar, as iCal is way better
- the adress book is much better than the way Entourage handles contacts.

Oh and wait; being able to check mail from the dock is neat.
iMac G5 2.0 Ghz 20", 2 GB RAM, 400 GB, OS X 10.4.5, iPod with color screen 60 GB

Severed Hand of Skywalker
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 22, 2003, 04:33 AM

The problem with Mail is that it has NO attachment options at all.

Also, Entourage has many more mail options and handles multiple acounts better.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

stevenhaddon
Feb 22, 2003, 05:52 AM

I love Entourage. If I didn't use it, I'd end up using four applications instead of one: Mail itself, Address Book, iCal and a newsreader (still haven't found a decent one other than Entourage).

I don't really see why some people say it's full of "MS Crap" - like all the better MS products, you can use it at its simplest level without having to delve into all its capabilities. I find it very intuitive.

Steve

JLL
Professional Poster
Feb 22, 2003, 06:37 AM

Originally posted by Severed Hand of Skywalker:
�and handles multiple acounts better.
In what way?

I have 12 accounts in Mail and I have absolutely no problems.
JLL

- My opinions may have changed, but not the fact that I am right.

Jerommeke
Mac Elite
Feb 22, 2003, 08:50 AM

Indeed, I have 3 and it does the job beautifully and no problems either. The way of sorting my inbox into 3 different inboxes was hard to understand in the standard but I get it now
iMac G5 2.0 Ghz 20", 2 GB RAM, 400 GB, OS X 10.4.5, iPod with color screen 60 GB

rjenkinson
Professional Poster
Feb 22, 2003, 08:51 AM

entourage costs money. mail is free.

-r.

Jerommeke
Mac Elite
Feb 22, 2003, 08:55 AM

Originally posted by stevenhaddon:
I love Entourage. If I didn't use it, I'd end up using four applications instead of one: Mail itself, Address Book, iCal and a newsreader (still haven't found a decent one other than Entourage).

I don't really see why some people say it's full of "MS Crap" - like all the better MS products, you can use it at its simplest level without having to delve into all its capabilities. I find it very intuitive.

Steve
In fact I have iCal and Mail open continously, which I can afford. When I think about Entourage, I think about it's total lack of any quickness, sluggishness. It is just like pushing a big rock over the floor.

The setup I have now feels muhc lighet, much better and much more useful.

The thing about the M$ Crap: Microsoft is a company which seems to be making software for themselves, not to the people. It is realeased, but it is kinda crap to it's users. Plus it reminds me of Outlook, which ruins my whole e-mail archive every week. If I buy/have a mail client, I want a mail client, nothing else. You don't want bloatware, I'd like to ahve the ability to choose what I need.

And a little offtopic: Thoth is a VERY good news reader.

milhouse
Senior User
Feb 22, 2003, 01:30 PM

I started with Mail a few versions ago. I did not like it much. I bought Office X so I went to Entourage and was delighted at the featureset.

When Jag came out I tried Mail again and really liked it's simplicity and elegant interface.

Over time I've had more than a few issues with Mail and mangled word attachments sent to PC users though so I moved back to Entourage for the cross platform compatability.

It "feels" clunky and slow compared to mail though...

HTH

"-Dodge This"

Buck_W
Senior User
Feb 22, 2003, 02:49 PM

Originally posted by Timothy Maxwell:
In reading a few posts I noticed that some are using the OS X mail application rather than Entourage. Which do you think is better? I'm currently using Entourage.
I've used both but decided on Entourage because it does have more attachment options and PC users do not receive "multiple" attachments (due to a resource fork issue in mail).

I realize there are applications that strip the resource fork from an attachment if you are using mail, but we shouldn't have to rely on an extra application in order to fix an attachment problem in mail.

My choice: ENTOURAGE
17" MacBook Pro 2.66 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo | 320G HD | 8 GB RAM | 10.10.3

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 22, 2003, 04:09 PM

Originally posted by Buck_W:
I've used both but decided on Entourage because it does have more attachment options and PC users do not receive "multiple" attachments (due to a resource fork issue in mail).

I realize there are applications that strip the resource fork from an attachment if you are using mail, but we shouldn't have to rely on an extra application in order to fix an attachment problem in mail.

My choice: ENTOURAGE
I've heard about this attachment issue with Mail but personally I've never seen it myself. Granted I don't send many attachments to PC users. I've tried to reproduce it by sending files to my Windows machine at work. Whenever I open the email in Outlook at work the attachments look fine. Didn't the release of Jaguar fix all this? If not, how can I reproduce it?

OAW

CatOne
Mac Elite
Feb 22, 2003, 04:11 PM

Originally posted by Jerommeke:
In fact I have iCal and Mail open continously, which I can afford. When I think about Entourage, I think about it's total lack of any quickness, sluggishness. It is just like pushing a big rock over the floor.

The setup I have now feels muhc lighet, much better and much more useful.

The thing about the M$ Crap: Microsoft is a company which seems to be making software for themselves, not to the people. It is realeased, but it is kinda crap to it's users. Plus it reminds me of Outlook, which ruins my whole e-mail archive every week. If I buy/have a mail client, I want a mail client, nothing else. You don't want bloatware, I'd like to ahve the ability to choose what I need.

And a little offtopic: Thoth is a VERY good news reader.
Sheesh. Save the diatribe for someone who cares. Entourage is not bloated and slow -- it works quite well for me. Its support for mutiple accounts in a single inbox and its and its filtering are better for me. I tried mail but it's just not as powerful, plain and simple. I'm managing 5 years worth of mail fwiw.

Buck_W
Senior User
Feb 22, 2003, 10:23 PM

Originally posted by OAW:
I've heard about this attachment issue with Mail but personally I've never seen it myself. Granted I don't send many attachments to PC users. I've tried to reproduce it by sending files to my Windows machine at work. Whenever I open the email in Outlook at work the attachments look fine. Didn't the release of Jaguar fix all this? If not, how can I reproduce it?

OAW
No, unfortunately, the release of Jaguar did not fix the problem. The majority of attachments that I send are pictures (jpeg files). I simply attach the file and send it. But when the receiver (on a PC) opens the email, it shows that he has two attachments.

When he tries to open them, he discovers that one of them is the actual attachment I sent, while the other shows up as nothing.

If I send two attached files, the PC's email will show that he has four attachments, etc.

If you type 'resource fork' into the forum search window you can read all about it. It may be a minor inconvenience, but several of my friends who own PC's (using Outlook Express) have asked, "What's the deal with your Mac sending duplicate attachments that aren't really there?"

Apple needs to fix this issue.
17" MacBook Pro 2.66 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo | 320G HD | 8 GB RAM | 10.10.3

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 22, 2003, 10:27 PM

No, unfortunately, the release of Jaguar did not fix the problem. The majority of attachments that I send are pictures (jpeg files). I simply attach the file and send it. But when the receiver (on a PC) opens the email, it shows that he has two attachments.

When he tries to open them, he discovers that one of them is the actual attachment I sent, while the other shows up as nothing.

If I send two attached files, the PC's email will show that he has four attachments, etc.

If you type 'resource fork' into the forum search window you can read all about it. It may be a minor inconvenience, but several of my friends who own PC's (using Outlook Express) have asked, "What's the deal with your Mac sending duplicate attachments that aren't really there?"

Strange. I send JPEGs to my PC at work all the time and I've never had this happen. Maybe Outlook simply knows how to handle this whereas "consumer" Windows email clients have more trouble?

OAW

godzookie2k
Mac Elite
Feb 23, 2003, 02:35 AM

entourage any day of the week. Mail simply can't keep up with or handle the amount of email I have and get. I've desperately tried to get it to import my 1.5 gig email database and it crashes barely a quarter of the way through every time. Entourage X has imported it from 2001 many times without a hitch. I don't have any performance issues with Entourage either. I would like for Entourage to get addressbook support though, that would be nice, keeping them in sync is becoming a bit of a pain. Entourages calendar is light years faster than ical. and it will warn you of events even without entourage running.

pmcd
Senior User
Feb 23, 2003, 02:41 AM

I'd love to use Mail but IMAP won't work with our Sun (soltice) IMAP server. It simply won't see any messages in the InBox. It works when you switch to pop but...

Entourage works great with our IMAP (it didn't until they upgraded it) server.

This has been a Mail bug for a long time and many people have it. Otherwise I could see using Mail. It handles heavy mail really well.

philip

ae86_16v
Mac Elite
Feb 23, 2003, 07:43 AM

I personally used Mail. I just don't like the fact that Entourage deletes all the mail at the server for you after you d/led it.

That means that you could only access the mail from one account/location.

Mail doesn't do that.

They should come out w/ a program instead of just d/ling and u/ling the mail, it should sync all the folders as well: Sent, Draft, Inbox, Trash.

Because right now using Mail, I still have to clean out the Mailbox on my yahoo once a week. I guess it is better than not having mail at all if I used Entourage.

(By the way, maybe there is a feature that I could turn that off...just too lazy to find it. Mail works fine for me.)

godzookie2k
Mac Elite
Feb 23, 2003, 11:05 AM

Originally posted by ae86_16v:
I personally used Mail. I just don't like the fact that Entourage deletes all the mail at the server for you after you d/led it.

Mail doesn't do that.

They should come out w/ a program instead of just d/ling and u/ling the mail, it should sync all the folders as well: Sent, Draft, Inbox, Trash.

yes, there is. you should look through your Account settings sometime in entourage.

CheesePuff
Professional Poster
Feb 23, 2003, 12:01 PM

Originally posted by ae86_16v:

Mail doesn't do that.

Because right now using Mail, I still have to clean out the Mailbox on my yahoo once a week. I guess it is better than not having mail at all if I used Entourage.

(By the way, maybe there is a feature that I could turn that off...just too lazy to find it. Mail works fine for me.)
Under the Options tab for your account in Entourage, it has an option to leave the messages on the server.

rytc
Senior User
Feb 23, 2003, 12:29 PM

I like Entourage under OS9, it was fast and good to use. When I started using it under X, I hated it. Seemed clunky cf Entourage 2001 and slow. Plus, for me anyway, it crashed half the time. I switched to Mail and have been very happy with it ever since.
The one thing I missed from Enthorage was the ability to have multiple users, selected on launch. This allowed me to have someone else chacking their email and to keep the two seperate. Worked great - now with Mail, I have to create two user accounts and log in and out between the two. A lot less elegant in my opinion.
Its a moot point now though as I'm the only one using it for mail at the moment.
CuRy

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Feb 23, 2003, 07:09 PM

The issue is that while many applications create files without resource forks, most all graphics applications do. Apple created binary packages to deal with this issue. Basically, "AppleDouble" flattens the file so that it can be sent properly. Unfortunately, in order to preserve the resource fork, the file is split in two. One contains the data, the other the resource fork. Check out this article for more information.

Btw, you can also check to see if the file you're going to send has a resource fork by opening it with the classic utility ResEdit. Launch ResEdit, then choose Open and try to open the file in question. If it says that the file has no resource fork and asks if one should be created, then click cancel. You know that the file (and others like it) doesn't contain one. But if it opens a window with resource icons, then you know it does contain the resource fork. Alternatively, you could try this highly rated GrimRipper contextual menu that deletes the resource fork of the file(s) selected. I haven't used the app, but it sounds pretty good. I suppose one could even write and attach an AppleScript to a folder so that any files saved there would automatically be stripped.

I just realized that my previous version of this post was substantially wrong. AppleDouble actually creates the other, separate resource fork by design. Otherwise there would be no way to rebuild the Mac file. What we're missing, then, is the option to remove the resource fork entirely for those times when it won't be necessary to maintain the full Mac file. Those who care about this issue should cram Apple's in-box with suggestions, because it obviously affects many.
( Last edited by Big Mac; Feb 23, 2003 at 07:39 PM. )

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Peter
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 23, 2003, 07:21 PM

I like mail cuz its nice and light. Bounce to sender function rocks as well
we don't have time to stop for gas

Timothy Maxwell  (op)
Forum Regular
Feb 24, 2003, 01:58 AM

I think that I will try the OSX Mail app. There seems to be many who really like it.
Timothy Maxwell
Bankers Mortgage Corporation
FHA Direct Lenders • No Down Payment • Bad Credit OK

Visit us on the Web at http://www.Bankersmc.com

Forum Links
Forum Rules