Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Looking for coaxial filter

Looking for coaxial filter
timmerk
Mac Elite
Jan 1, 2006, 08:09 PM

Hi,

I would like to block channels 1-100 (or 120. basically all the TV channels) on my cable line, but still allow my Cox cable modem to function. I have seen these filters before, and they look similar to this:

http://www.trilithic.com/Image/wirel...r/image006.jpg

Anyone know where to buy one of these filters? Having Cox do this for me in not an option. In case anyone is wondering why I need this is because I have a cable modem from Cox, and I don't want TV as my roommate watches it 24/7. Cox gave us the cable for free, as they said it came free if we had a cable modem. I want to install this filter so that my roommate doesn't bug me with TV. I can't have Cox install it because they might knock on my door and tip him off if I'm not home.

Thanks!

mduell
Posting Junkie
Jan 1, 2006, 08:31 PM

Unplug the line that goes to the TV in your utility box.

timmerk  (op)
Mac Elite
Jan 1, 2006, 08:52 PM

Can't, just one cable goes into my apt from the box, and inside there is a splitter in the wall.

alligator
Mac Elite
Jan 1, 2006, 08:54 PM

I got a DSL filter for about $3 on e-bay. Is there something on there that is similar?

nerd
Senior User
Jan 1, 2006, 09:08 PM

you want a notch filter that only passes the frequency the cable modem talks on. This might be a little tough tho because looking at my cable modem page the download freq is 705mhz and the upload is at 31.984mhz.

Maybe search for something that blocks from 55.25mhz (channel 2) to 649.25mhz (channel 100).

G4ME
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 1, 2006, 11:08 PM

shoot the TV

I GOT WASTED WITH PHIL SHERRY!!!

zerostar
Mac Elite
Jan 1, 2006, 11:16 PM

Originally Posted by timmerk
Can't, just one cable goes into my apt from the box, and inside there is a splitter in the wall.
remove the splitter?

MaxPower2k3
Mac Elite
Jan 1, 2006, 11:17 PM

So what happens when you find one of these things and install it? If your roommate is that attached to the TV, he's not just gonna give up on it if it goes out. He'll probably check the connection on the back of the TV and find the filter, in which case he's pissed at you and has TV again. Or, he'll call Cox and they'll say there's nothing wrong on their end and send out a guy to come, find the thing, take it out, and charge you a bunch of money for the visit.

"I start fires!"

Teronzhul
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 1, 2006, 11:58 PM

I work for Cox Communications as a TSR, and unless something is different in your neck of the woods, cable television doesn't ever "come free" with cable internet. It sounds like you had a lazy tech or contractor that simply didn't feel like installing the filters on the lines like he should have in the first place.

Likely the best thing to do would be to call cox and complain about a video outage or somesuch, wait for the tech to tell you you're not supposed to have cable, and then say "oops" as he schedules a disconnect.

Of course, you could also end up with an incompetent tech installing the filters and then you lose your internet as well. I have dealt with this a number of times.

Also, if as Max said for some reason cox set up a standard service call, that is a $39.95 fee that is added to your bill, not paid up front by your roommate. Further, they're supposed to call 15 minutes prior to a call and normally arrive within a 2-3 hour scheduled window. I should think you'd be able to work that around your roommate not being home. Also, installation of those filters would simply be a disconnect, which they wouldn't come into the house to check on anyway.

timmerk  (op)
Mac Elite
Jan 3, 2006, 06:19 AM

Originally Posted by Teronzhul
I work for Cox Communications as a TSR, and unless something is different in your neck of the woods, cable television doesn't ever "come free" with cable internet. It sounds like you had a lazy tech or contractor that simply didn't feel like installing the filters on the lines like he should have in the first place.

Likely the best thing to do would be to call cox and complain about a video outage or somesuch, wait for the tech to tell you you're not supposed to have cable, and then say "oops" as he schedules a disconnect.

Of course, you could also end up with an incompetent tech installing the filters and then you lose your internet as well. I have dealt with this a number of times.

Also, if as Max said for some reason cox set up a standard service call, that is a $39.95 fee that is added to your bill, not paid up front by your roommate. Further, they're supposed to call 15 minutes prior to a call and normally arrive within a 2-3 hour scheduled window. I should think you'd be able to work that around your roommate not being home. Also, installation of those filters would simply be a disconnect, which they wouldn't come into the house to check on anyway.
Thanks for the info! I guess I will call them and complain that I am getting cable and don't want it. I guess they still say I get channels 2-22 for free or something with the cable modem, no matter what? Does that sound right? I need to get rid of this thing, I can't sleep at night - TV is always on and he refuses to do anything about his habits. However, he is too poor to pay for cable service so he will be screwed once I get it cut.

Xeo
Moderator Emeritus
Jan 3, 2006, 06:29 AM

Can't you just tell him to stop being a sponge and either pay for the cable or stop using it? It's your service. He's annoying you with your own service. That's BS. Tell him straight up he is not allowed to use it.

Goldfinger
Professional Poster
Jan 3, 2006, 06:51 AM

Why do you have a roommate if you can't live with him ?

If it's a money thing then yeah, let him pay for it.

iMac 20" C2D 2.16 | Acer Aspire One | Flickr

Teronzhul
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 3, 2006, 10:10 AM

No, you shouldn't get any video service at all unless you pay for it. Neither channels 2-24 or 25-70. A scheduled video disconnect will take like a month to go through though. The disconnect guys just go out and do a bunch in one area all at once. They rarely go into an area to do just 1 disconnect.

There won't be any charge for a video disconnect. Also if you ask the TSR or billing person that you speak with on the phone not to note in icoms that you asked for the vid disc, they should be competent enough not to do so.

Further you can make sure there is a pin# on the acct, and tell them that no one is allowed acct access without the pin# so your roommate wouldn't be able to do jack.

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Jan 3, 2006, 03:37 PM

Does you tv have a vchip? If it does i think you put A time block on it.

Forum Links
Forum Rules