Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > Fallout: New Vegas

Fallout: New Vegas (Page 3)
The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Oct 29, 2010, 12:44 PM

You on the PS3? I wouldn't be surprised if the 360 version is the least buggy thanks to being lead platform.

exca1ibur
Mac Elite
Oct 29, 2010, 12:51 PM

Yeah. The original Fallout I had way less bugs that I experienced, but I admit Vegas is a MUCH better game, minus the bugs that is.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Nov 1, 2010, 06:55 PM

Well I've cleared up some space on my HDD and I'm currently installing NV to see if it has any major impact on the loading times.

From what I've been reading, NV suffers from a memory leak problem. This explains why the loading during the first few hours of play is fine, but after about 4 or so hours can double or even triple in length.

Of course I'm going to have problems once the New Vegas DLC comes out, and even more problems when Zombie DLC for Black Ops comes out. probably should start looking at a spare HDD soon.

exca1ibur
Mac Elite
Nov 1, 2010, 10:10 PM

I've been playing this a LOT over the weekend I've had no less than 30 freezes where I had to reboot the system. At least 5 times of the machine just rebooting itself, and at a bunch of times having objects getting stuck or object collisions. This is the buggiest game I've seen on a console, ever. I've had less crashes in Windows. I totally understand if people take this back and try to get their money back.
( Last edited by exca1ibur; Nov 1, 2010 at 10:44 PM. )

sek929
Posting Junkie
Nov 1, 2010, 10:19 PM

Wow, that is pretty crazy!

I just crested 50 hours played and I only experienced 3 or 4 crashes so far. In the last couple of sessions I haven't experienced any severe bugs besides the odd NPC walking against a wall or Radscorpions stuck in the ground (which has been a problem since F3).

I hope NV isn't a sham for the PS3, but that is an INSANE amount of freezes...did they pay anyone to test this game?

Anyways, installing the game has worked two-fold in my favor. Loading times cut in half and gaming is nice and quiet now that the disc drive doesn't have to start up its internal chainsaw motor anymore. I can't make the final judgement on climbing loading times over long sessions yet, but the last 3 1/2 hours went pretty smoothly.

Kevin Bogues
Senior User
Nov 3, 2010, 10:02 PM

Just crossed 17 hours of play time and i figured it was time for initial impressions (full review to come eventually)
The most difficult part of writing this is forcing myself to put down the controller and not immerse every minute of free time i have into the Mojave Wasteland.

Let me get this out of the way - Buggy Gameplay
This has been the biggest talk of the NV release and with 17 hours in, my experience is this.
I've had two complete lock ups (requiring a full xbox shut down and restart), both occurred during load screens which actually happened close together after a semi long gaming session.
Next came my two "glitches", i first got myself stuck in the branches of a tree by sliding down a mountain and falling onto the top of a tree from 30 feet, which in the defense of the game this mountain was near impassable from the angle i took anyway. Second I was climbing some rocks around a very cool location (trying to find another entrance) and got stuck in between two rocks but was able to load a save from only minutes before, the key to this game as with F3 is to save often.
Last and honestly the most frustrating is Load screens, early on these were very quick but have since become much much longer, this has to be my biggest gripe only because its taking away from the full exploration and immersion experience fallout provides, but none of these glitches/bugs have made my experience even remotely negative.

The world - Unbelievable
Although no game will ever compare to the experience provided by your exit of the vault in F3 and seeing the Washington Monument in the distance as you traverse the waste, New Vegas has provided (only 17 hours in) the most complete, interesting, diverse, and immersive world I have ever experienced. Each and every location provides not only memorable characters but loot, stories, and an unbelievable sense of urgency as what your character needs and can provide for these people. The main "story" is great so far but honestly the best part has been the "side" missions, each mission i have tackled has been just as interesting and involved as any campaign mission, and even better for some. I'll keep my impressions spoiler free but between the Vault 22- There Stands the Grass and Valore! missions I am in absolute awe of this games characters, story, and exploration. Nothing speaks to the quality of the missions like the different ways to approach each situation, depending on what type of "character" you are, you can take an objective is so many directions which makes an already 100+ hour game worth a second and third playthrough.

Combat & Items
The combat is just like F3 and IMO thats a good thing, the companion wheel is a perfect way to quickly manage both of your companions. The sheer amount of items to be collected, traded, sold, built, and repaired is better than anything F3 offered. Now that i have my own "house/apartment" area i find myself storing and managing my items in a much more organized fashion that ever in F3 which is just another area of this game that makes it the ultimate combination of Bioshock, Call of Duty, and Borderlands with simple but important RPG choices (i.e. skills, perks, level building).
( Last edited by Kevin Bogues; Nov 3, 2010 at 11:54 PM. )

Kevin Bogues
Senior User
Nov 3, 2010, 10:05 PM

Originally Posted by sek929 View Post
Bogues, this game is ****ing ridiculous. Just on approach to the strip I encountered dozens of NPCs and added over 9 quests.

Side quests are 100x more plentiful. Dialogue options are 100x more interesting. Each quest has a myriad of ways to complete it, sometimes involving people from other quests. Inventory management is more interesting (hardcore), there is more perks, more player mods (aid), more more more more.

In short, Vegas makes F3 look like a blank canvas, and I'm just 15 hours in.
I'm at a point currently where i have at least 12 missions in my quest log which the majority have multiple parts which i haven't even started

sek929
Posting Junkie
Nov 3, 2010, 11:57 PM

Originally Posted by Kevin Bogues View Post
Last and honestly the most frustrating is Load screens, early on these were very quick but have since become much much longer, this has to be my biggest gripe only because its taking away from the full exploration and immersion experience fallout provides.
Memory leaks plays a large part here, after 3 hours load time can double or triple. My advice: Install the game, it has made my loading experience much less annoying.

Vault 22- There Stands the Grass and Valore! missions I am in absolute awe of this games characters, story, and exploration. Nothing speaks to the quality of the missions like the different ways to approach each situation, depending on what type of "character" you are, you can take an objective is so many directions which makes an already 100+ hour game worth a second and third playthrough.
Both awesome missions and locales! I didn't tackle Vault 22 until much later in the game, but it remains one of the coolest side-plots available, also vault 11 has a twisted history that may lead you to the same fate as its inhabitants.

The sheer amount of items to be collected, traded, sold, built, and repaired is better than anything F3 offered. Now that i have my own "house/apartment" area i find myself storing and managing my items in a much more organized fashion that ever in F3
I'm impressed they added much more options for 'safe houses' in this game. If you were going a 'good' route in fallout 3 you had only one, very obscure, choice for permanent shelter. Before I got to the strip I already had two safehouses.

Glad you are enjoying the game Bogues, just wait until the Render Unto Caesar quest which pretty much blows the whole game wide open I actually saved a permanent point there just to explore my myriad of options.

Kevin Bogues
Senior User
Nov 4, 2010, 11:00 AM

Two safe houses before the strip??? Throw up the spoiler tag and spill the beans on that! I got my first two houses at the strip!

Also I'm all about the "kings" what an absolutely awesome clan

exca1ibur
Mac Elite
Nov 4, 2010, 11:04 AM

Kevin Bogues
Senior User
Nov 4, 2010, 11:04 AM

Memory leaks plays a large part here, after 3 hours load time can double or triple. My advice: Install the game, it has made my loading experience much less annoying
I've had the game installed since day one, I guess it's the advantage of a 120GB harddrive, but just recently I've had much longer load times.

Anything online about a second patch to fix this?

sek929
Posting Junkie
Nov 4, 2010, 03:13 PM

Originally Posted by exca1ibur View Post

Yep also:

sek929
Posting Junkie
Nov 4, 2010, 07:09 PM

Jesus Bogues, lvl 16 already?

Somebody must have a poop bucket next to his 360 or something.

When you started playing I was a lvl 20, I'm a 22 now and you're a 16. At this rate you'll beat the game before me.

BionicDissonance
Baninated
Nov 28, 2010, 10:13 AM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
You on the PS3? I wouldn't be surprised if the 360 version is the least buggy thanks to being lead platform.
- My initial response to the above mentioned statement and...

- My response to your logic.

Didn't MS invest something like over a billion dollars to fixing the 360 a few years ago? That whole "red ring of death" escape your mind? Or you never had that happen to you? If not, lucky for you.

But anyone's a moron for saying the PS3's failure rate is higher than the 360.

exca1ibur
Mac Elite
Nov 28, 2010, 03:23 PM

He was talking about the game, not the console.

Kevin Bogues
Senior User
Jan 12, 2011, 09:17 PM

I'm going to bring this thread back to life hopefully

After downloading the first Fallout NV DLC "Dead Money" i can say the reviews are spot on, while seemingly short with not much "side content", its still a much better experience IMO than "Mothership Zeta'.

The mission has a decent story line and the characters are pretty varied and great, although the enemies are the complete opposite, and i'm completely against opening a new world to the wasteland and then closing the preverbal door after the story is complete. Both "The Pitt" and " Point Lookout" in F3 provided a much more open world environment aside from the normal wasteland.

Now that i've played under the "hardcore" gametype, i can say its the definitive Fallout experience.
The biggest change is inventory management, so many more items become absolute necessity that you must have a sound strategy around what weapons/ammo, food, water, etc. you will carry. Also the inability to heal limbs with a stimp pack provides a much more memorable experience in battle, you can no longer run into a battle without first analyzing your enemy and the terrain.

exca1ibur
Mac Elite
Jan 12, 2011, 09:53 PM

I just popped in last night to try to finish it off and the damn thing froze my system up twice within 40 minutes.

I ejected it put it on the shelf and continued to play Resident Evil 5.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Jan 13, 2011, 10:59 AM

You should have tried to do CoD multi for added frustration.

exca1ibur
Mac Elite
Jan 13, 2011, 01:03 PM

Yeah, no kidding.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Jan 26, 2011, 11:33 AM

Interesting read: No Clip: Fallout: New Vegas- Destructoid

As it stands, Fallout’s HUD is pretty reduced and it may seem difficult to see how its removal would make such an impact. But it's easy to forget that Fallout labels quite nearly everything. Enemies, friends, even the beasts within your proximity earnestly considering your destruction. Labels are important to the game and without everything being so easily branded for me, I could no longer make casual decisions. Other characters were no longer shown in simplistic green and red - a lone figure in the distance could be anyone. Was it a friend? Enemy? Stripping what seemed quite extraneous, gameplay with no HUD turned the Fallout experience into a constant, white-knuckled, heart-stopper.

Everything had to be analyzed first. Even in the safety of towns and cities, I still had to work just as hard. I could no longer differentiate a generic bouncer from a named gambler I was sent to find. I carried on conversations with NPCs I had never even seen before. I realized how easy it was to get blinders on when sent from objective to objective. Without labels, every character had become of equal importance, which made any small odd-jobs rather difficult. I had to survey rooms, ask hotel clerks for information, and actually unsheathe my critical thinking and discern the world around me.

Even more still, the lack of labels led to tragic mistakes. For instance, early on, I foolishly rounded a hilltop without caution and spotted what seemed like a lone wasteland savage, standing stoically in leather, spiked armor and touting an assault rifle. I took my advantage and opened fire on the target from the safety of my hilltop. He went down quick and I strolled up to search his cargo for some much needed supplies. It was only then I discovered the kindly wasteland merchant he was guarding cowered behind the burnt husk of an old car, previously obscured by a fallen billboard. I quite literally cried out in alarm at the tragedy as the panicked merchant drew his pistol on me in presumable self-defense. I did the only thing I could and shot him down before he could kill me.

My face crumpled in half-alarm and terror, I stood over the two bodies, the now lone pack-Brahmin groaning feebly beside me. I had become overly confident and made a terrible mistake. I could not reload my save and fix it. I had murdered a cowering man because I made brash decisions and careless assumptions. After this, I stopped traveling on open roads for fear of accidentally attacking another innocent traveler. Instead, I stuck to the unforgiving wastes, banishing myself to forging a single path unaided.

jokell82
Professional Poster
Mar 6, 2011, 10:47 PM

Finally picked this up when I was able to grab it for $20 at Gamestop. Played about 10 hours so far and I can already tell this is going to rule my life over the next few weeks.

All glory to the hypnotoad.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Mar 7, 2011, 02:33 PM

Originally Posted by jokell82 View Post
Finally picked this up when I was able to grab it for $20 at Gamestop. Played about 10 hours so far and I can already tell this is going to rule my life over the next few weeks.
Get ready to be wholly overwhelmed by the amount of content in NV as opposed to F3.

My two pieces of advice are as follows:

One: Put plenty of points into your speech skill, it is 100 times more useful in this game.
Two: If a character tells you danger is ahead, or a certain area may be impassable due to enemies, listen.

I myself just DL'ed and finished the first DLC, Dead Money, to use on my second play-through character. When they say lvl 20 or higher recommended, they mean it. It was, by far, the most challenging Fallout DLC to date. However, due to a certain impending doom aspect of gameplay, there is much less focus on slow precise looting, and more an emphasis on quick pace and snap judgements. Not entirely that fun in certain areas, but if nothing else it was a gameplay aspect not yet explored in the Fallout universe IMO.

Also, during my second playthrough I have yet to encounter a single freeze or outlandish bug in the 40 or so hours that I've sunk into it. Seems like they patched up NV very nicely. The memory leak still persists, and now I'm in the habit of restarting the game every two hours or so to keep the loading times in check. Sometimes it would be quicker to restart the Xbox and load my game compared to sitting through the increasingly more ridiculous load times.

Also also, I finally finished the game, on my first character before starting the second character two weeks ago. As usual I found the ending to be a little rushed and sort of anti-climatic, not to mention a rather strange bug-ish situation where a team of people I recruited to help me in the final battle turned hostile towards me for no reason.

Hardcore mode is merely an annoyance, and does not add any actual difficulty to the game. Much like is said in that link Dakar posted, having to eat, drink and sleep is not ever a problem...its only a nagging inconvenience. The ammo weight certainly changes the game, and is the only aspect of Hardcore Mode that becomes a real challenge.

I think Metro 2033 did their Hardcore Mode right (called ranger mode) No HUD, decreased health for player, decreased health for enemies. It's much easier to die, but a clever player will actually find it much easier to kill as well.

jokell82
Professional Poster
Mar 10, 2011, 11:11 AM

I had been neglecting speech. Was about to negotiate the release of the hostages in Boulder City but I was off by 5 points. Luckily I found a magazine to bump my speech up and complete the quest, but it made me realize just how much I need to put into speech. I think I'm going to concentrate on energy weapons, science, and speech exclusively for the next few levels. Love the fact that I got a plasma rifle so early in the game.

I am getting a bit frustrated, though, as I feel like I *have* to continue the main quest right now. I've been wandering trying to find things to do on the side, but they seem few and far between at the moment. Should I get into New Vegas first before I really start exploring?

I'm about to hit level 10. And with both my followers (Boone and ED-E) I feel like I can handle myself pretty well. Even took out a Deathclaw, which I didn't think I'd be able to handle just yet.

It's funny, I took tomorrow off of work to just get a breather from the stress lately. I figured I'd pick up the new iPad and just take it easy. But now all I want to do is play New Vegas. All day.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Mar 10, 2011, 04:43 PM

The game really opens up in all directions once you hit New Vegas. Unlike F3 there is a lessened ability to stick to scavenging the open wastes for everything you need, alot of times the enemies with cost you more in ammo and stimpacks then the swag you'll end up with. Camp McCarren, and the Strip will add alot of locations and quests, along with several Vaults to plunder. In my second playthrough I made a B-line for the Strip as fast as possible and then focused on doing plundering.

ED-E is the most useful companion there is. His Enhanced Sensors perk, along with his long-range laser weapon makes him an ideal buddy. Not to mention you don't have to worry about him picking up and/or using any weapons before you get a chance to snag them.

Boone is the second best IMO, his default weapon is deadly and accurate, and if you keep giving him better weapons as you progress eventually you'll barely need to fight anything.

Tip 1: When dealing with Benny, try and have a decent speech skill (or a book) at the ready. If you can confront him in a special manner it'll net you his extremely powerful pistol, and his suit with +5 bonuses to speech and barter. This can be really useful early on in the game, as even low level gun skill with his pistol is enough to take down most any enemy you'll encounter. You can get both even if you don't pass the speech check, but it will require a lot more legwork.

Tip 2: Sometimes its best to wait until you have a quest for a particular area before exploring and/or killing everyone. This game has a nasty habit of making you fail quests for completing the objectives without having the quest marked in your Pip-Boy first.

Tip 3: Stave off siding heavily with any of the major players right off the bat (Mr. House, NCR, Legion) this'll allow you to do more quests with each faction before losing their respect.

jokell82
Professional Poster
Mar 10, 2011, 11:56 PM

Ugh, i was off on Benny's speech requirement by 1 freaking point. Now I have to track him down with the Legion.

Kevin Bogues
Senior User
May 16, 2011, 01:28 PM

Honest Hearts - May 17th

With the second DLC being released tomorrow i have to say i'm hopeful for a more "point lookout" experience, put me down for a day 1 download

Fatty, you grabbing this? did you ever buy/finish "Dead Money"?

sek929
Posting Junkie
May 16, 2011, 02:21 PM

I did buy and finish Dead Money, and loved it. It was hard and hectic, something that Fallout doesn't always bring to the table.

I will most certainly be getting this tomorrow.

Kevin Bogues
Senior User
May 16, 2011, 08:15 PM

I did buy and finish Dead Money, and loved it. It was hard and hectic, something that Fallout doesn't always bring to the table.

I will most certainly be getting this tomorrow.
I'm usually completely against a game stripping you of all your collected guns, ammo, items, etc. but Dead Money provided an experience that was centered on rationing and building your items, while being cautious with what you use and don't use, in a sense it was the only way to provide that experience.
If i was able to go into Dead Money with all of my upgraded weapons and items it would have been a breeze.

Did a little reading up on Honest Hearts and it looks like it will be a much more open experience, and a new area you will be able to return to after the DLC is done (which is fantastic). Also i'm very interested in the Burned Man, and i'm glad they took that small extra story from the Legion and created a DLC around it.

Kevin Bogues
Senior User
May 16, 2011, 08:18 PM

Honest Hearts Delayed for PS3
I half expected this but still...

Unlike Dead Money, Honest Hearts will be released simultaneously on all platforms
- Fallout Wiki "The Vault"

....Looks like Microsoft got it self another "timed exclusive"

Kevin Bogues
Senior User
May 24, 2011, 02:45 PM

Fatty, any impressions from "Honest Hearts"?

I felt like the overall story arch was lacking, i expected much more around the "burned man" (at least after all the talk during the main campaign), although i thought Zion was a fantastic change of pace (including weather, "clean" plants/water, and interesting terrain.

One of my favorite parts:

sek929
Posting Junkie
May 24, 2011, 04:31 PM

They've used the Datura plant in the past, namely in Point Lookout. Very cool.

I like the Honest Hearts, but I too think the storyline is completely lacking. I did like, however, that you could only bring 75lbs of stuff with you, making an interesting culling of my inventory to being with.

Kevin Bogues
Senior User
May 24, 2011, 05:49 PM

They've used the Datura plant in the past, namely in Point Lookout. Very cool.
Good call, actually forgot about that

Kevin Bogues
Senior User
Jul 20, 2011, 07:47 AM

Old World Blues came out yesterday
Fatty, you picking this up?

I'm hearing good things, lots of "point lookout" comparisons (which is a pretty high standard IMO).
Impressions to come

Kevin Bogues
Senior User
Jul 27, 2011, 11:40 AM

Old World Blues - Impressions/Review

This is (so far) the definitive New Vegas DLC, and after about 8 hours of play there is finally a DLC that is a must own for NV.

The overall plot is interesting, but the characters are fantastic, this is as good as it gets in the Fallout universe surrounding humor and characters. Although the main plot line is very linear the actual Big MT is a great place to explore, every location is full of interesting information and cool characters (past and present).

Although the landscape is normal fallout fair, each location provides a different feel and through computer terminals, notes, and journals there is connections to many of the more interesting places/people in the Mojave. Each "experiment" within the main plot is fun but more importantly it relates to a greater story and even more connections are made to the Mojave, past DLC, and future DLC.

Even after the main plot is done there is still a lot to do around Big MT (35 locations). "The Sink" provides the ultimate "home" for the courier and the personalities of the "gadgets" are some of the best dialog in the game. Also each "gadget" has a use that makes "The Sink" my main base of operation (you can return quickly from the waste). I'll stray from spoilers. The enemies are varied (some new), new weapons are some of the best (and memorable), equipment and loot are great as well.

Overall an 9/10

sek929
Posting Junkie
Jul 27, 2011, 01:58 PM

Awesome, going to pick this up as soon as I get home. Unfortunately, I still have Honest Hearts to finish, so I'll have to finish that up before I can get back to the NV wasteland. Fortunately, I'm already half through the final mission.

Kevin Bogues
Senior User
Jul 27, 2011, 02:03 PM

I tried to keep it spoiler free but you will have to let me know what you think

sek929
Posting Junkie
Jul 27, 2011, 02:52 PM

If this is on-par with the quality of Point Lookout then I'll be highly impressed. Point Lookout is one of the most definitive pieces of DLC on any game I've bought, by far.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Jul 27, 2011, 04:30 PM

First quest: "Find out where the hell you are"

Nice.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Jul 27, 2011, 08:30 PM

A+ from me so far.

James Urbaniak does the voice of Doctor 0, now wandering around inside the Big MT I hear random loudspeaker announcements in Dr Venture's voice. A nice added bonus.

So far it's very morbid, silly, and erotically over-the top....you heard me,

Kevin Bogues
Senior User
Jul 27, 2011, 08:41 PM

Have you got any household appliances back up working...?
Great dialog from those...
Any "interesting" weapons or equiptment? You'll know the ones

Kevin Bogues
Senior User
Aug 9, 2011, 08:18 AM

Finish up OWB fatty?
looking forward to your final synopsis

sek929
Posting Junkie
Aug 9, 2011, 10:15 AM

Just finished it up, amazing piece of DLC.

I'll write in more detail later, but it easily rivals Point Lookout, and might actually be better. Great mix of enemies, great mix of energy weapons and regular weapons, and some absolutely outstanding dialogue. Not to mention The Sink is finally an all-inclusive safehouse that does everything in one place. They really rewarded the Fallout DLC crowd this time.

Kevin Bogues
Senior User
Aug 22, 2011, 04:20 PM

I'll write in more detail later
...you were saying?

sek929
Posting Junkie
Aug 22, 2011, 10:00 PM

Hehe, way to call me out Bogues.

Ok, here's my final thoughts on Old World Blues...

It certainly is a better expansion than Point Lookout, and that's saying something. While the new locale of Point Lookout was awesome and the myriad of little backstories and side quests too, it just doesn't have the sheer amount of Fallout-esque lore that OWB brings to the table.

First off the overworld is amazing, especially at night., deep canyons punctuated by giant red crystals and secret facilities lurking around every corner. In Honest Hearts the canyons only made getting around a huge goddamn chore, in OWB it's a huge goddamn chore, but at least there is some reward for traveling around a bit. Then you have the two competing domes, one red one blue, with their respective colors lighting up the sky around them.

I won't get into the actual backstory reveals, as everything would have to be in spoiler tags, but basically you learn the origin of Fallout staples, including several characters that have appeared in the original Fallouts. This isn't done haphazardly, by just saying "Here's how X came to be...moving on!" but instead the quests force you through their stories and make you learn by experience. They tie in not only Mr. House, but also Sinclair and the Sierra Madre from Dead Money DLC. As a whole it adds so much to the universe while also explaining a whole bunch, no small feat to put in one package.

The weapons are awesome, and plentiful in choice. The Cyberdog gun has to be one of the most bizarre weapons I've ever come across. Past that the combat is a perfect blend of robotic and fleshy enemies, meaning having a variety of different weapon types to choose from is a necessity. The Robo-Scorpions are simply funny as hell, especially since Dr. Mobius' voice constantly booms through them taunting your every move, and providing some hilarious dialogue. The Spore Savages made an unexpected and terrifying return briefly, and caused my heart to skip a beat or two. The Lobotomites are both terrifying and silly, dressing like mini-leatherfaces and attacking you all while not uterring a single sound (the only Fallout enemy that does so IIRC). But my favorite enemy, and one of the more difficult ones, is the Y17 Trauma Override Harness. Which is nothing more than a robotically animated skeleton of some poor soul who died hundreds of years prior. Again, a hilarious and macabre sight.

The dialogue across the board is the best in any Fallout game to date. All the Think Tank scientists (including Dr Venture) have unique personalities that are perfectly voiced by their respective actors. Dr Mobius as the not-so-super villian is voiced by a semi-Alzheimer esque old man, and while booming imposing threats he often comes off as quite cuddly. This is a nice counterpart to the overtly dead and desolate area the Big MT is. Populated by mute lobotomites and robotic scorpions.

Finally, and almost just as importantly, The Sink safehouse gives players a one-stop location for nearly everything that you could ever need to do in the Fallout world. You can grow crops to use in recipes, the appliance NPCs break down common items into useful crafting ingredients, the Auto-Doc can install some sweet implants, change your whole look around, or provide a one-time reset of all your skill points to allow a rebuild (just like in Fallout 2) and the Central Unit has a repair skill of 100...allowing you to fully fix (at a decent price too) all those things you can't find repair duplicates of. In short, The Sink is a proper safehouse given to the Fallout faithful, who buy the DLC and deserve a little treat. If it wasn't so tedious at this point, I'd move all my stuff to The Sink and make it my primary NV safehouse.

My 360 F3 disc got scratched and just a few days ago I got the crazy notion that maybe my 128mb card could run Fallout 3, which states a 256 card minimum. Well it does run, and quite decently too at 720p, so I'm going back through....at a torrid pace, and re-playing the game and its DLC. Just getting to Point Lookout now, but I can't imagine my opinion changing..since I've already played PL twice.

Old World Blues is not only the best DLC for Fallout to date, it's the best DLC I've gotten for any game I've bought. Period.

Kevin Bogues
Senior User
Aug 25, 2011, 09:25 AM

I agree with everything you said, as i stated in my much more limited review, this is everything a Fallout DLC needs to be

The story revelations relating to characters and enemies from the Fallout universe are fantastic, and many of the more "simple" locations around the BigMT are still more interesting that some of the more fleshed out locals in the Mojave.

My favorite mini-location was...

Although I liked both "Dead Money" & "Honest Hearts", "Old World Blues" is leaps and bounds above the other two, i'm still going to place it in second place behind "Point Lookout"

Kevin Bogues
Senior User
Aug 25, 2011, 11:21 AM

Lonesome Road DLC Release Date

September 20th Release Date

September 27th - Two additional packs, "Courier's Stash" & "Gun Runners" DLCs including some of the pre-order exclusives.

Kevin Bogues
Senior User
Aug 31, 2011, 08:16 AM

Pretty sure I posted the original Fallout Fan Film about 6 months ago titled "Nuka Break"
If you haven't seen it (worth checking out)

Fallout: Nuka Break

A few months ago the creators started taking online donations to create a web series surrounding the Fallout universe and raised almost 30k.

They just released the first episode, and its really a must watch for fallout fans. Lots of great references to the New Vegas

Fallout: Nuka Break Episode 1

sek929
Posting Junkie
Oct 10, 2011, 03:40 PM

So I just got Lonesome Road last night and dabbled a bit in it. Reviews are mixed so far, but all seem to state that Old World Blues remains the definitive New Vegas DLC, which comes at no surprise.

Certainly a high level character DLC, I'm at 44 and still get brought down to near death quite a few times.

Bogues, you have a chance to check this out yet?

Kevin Bogues
Senior User
Oct 11, 2011, 07:44 AM

Bogues, you have a chance to check this out yet?
I downloaded both "Lonesome Road" and the "Gun Runners" (Additional weapons/challenges/achievements) when they were released but haven't had a chance to boot them up.

Let me know what you think, I have no expectation for it to be on the caliber of OWB

Kevin Bogues
Senior User
Oct 11, 2011, 07:47 AM

They just released the first episode, and its really a must watch for fallout fans. Lots of great references to the New Vegas
Fallout: Nuka Break Episode 1
Episodes 2-4 are now available, while short they are still worth a quick view IMO (only 10 mins each)

Fallout: Nuka Break - Episode 2

Fallout: Nuka Break - Episode 3

Fallout: Nuka Break - Episode 4

Forum Links
Forum Rules