Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > MP3's in column view oddities

MP3's in column view oddities
ChaChi Boy
Senior User
Jan 26, 2002, 06:27 PM

I and everyone else I know who is using OSX is having this same problem as I am, hopefully someone here can solve the mystery.

It seems that when I am browsing my hard drive in the Finder using column view when I click on an MP3 it lets me play it in that neat preview on the right.

The problem is it is very inconsistent. Sometimes the preview will appear and sometimes it will just show the iTunes MP3 icon.

All the MP3's play fine in iTunes and they have the correct icon.

Does anyone have any idea why this is happening?

Thanks

Iguana: The other green meat.

ChaChi Boy  (op)
Senior User
Jan 29, 2002, 11:28 AM

Anyone?

[ 01-29-2002: Message edited by: ChaChi Boy ]

malvolio
Professional Poster
Jan 29, 2002, 12:28 PM

Just guessing here, but on my machine it seems that display of graphics files in the column view preview is dependent on size and "validity." Anything over 250 MB or so and corrupt files show only the icon. Perhaps the same principle applies to MP3's?
/mal
"I sentence you to be hanged by the neck until you cheer up."
MacBook Pro 15" w/ Mac OS 10.8.2, iPhone 4S & iPad 4th-gen. w/ iOS 6.1.2

ChaChi Boy  (op)
Senior User
Jan 29, 2002, 12:30 PM

Originally posted by malvolio:
<STRONG>Just guessing here, but on my machine it seems that display of graphics files in the column view preview is dependent on size and "validity." Anything over 250 MB or so and corrupt files show only the icon. Perhaps the same principle applies to MP3's?</STRONG>
The MP3's are all differnent sized some small some big. Some let me play them in the Finder, some don't.

A bunch of us have been trying to figure this one out for a while.

edddeduck
Mac Elite
Jan 29, 2002, 12:41 PM

Do they all say MP3 File??

I think it is a problem with OS 9 and X...

OS 9 uses App and creator codes but OS X uses .mp3

Try to set the OS 9 creator types to mp3 for all your collection at once.

You could use some batch program to do it.

Then try again..

Cheers Edd

Mactoid
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 29, 2002, 01:11 PM

Are any of your files on a network drive? The finder doesn't generate previews for remote files.

I'd say that's a good thing for movies, I'd hate to see it try and make a preview for a large video file, but I wish It worked for mp3's.
We hope your rules and wisdom choke you / Now we are one in everlasting peace
-- Radiohead, Exit Music (for a film)

stevenhaddon
Jan 29, 2002, 02:35 PM

It's not just for network drives; I've seen it too, on my hard drive.

I also suspect it has something to do with type/creator codes, but I don't (currently) have any mp3's that don't play in the finder, so I can't tell you any more.

Steve

Xeo
Moderator Emeritus
Jan 29, 2002, 02:43 PM

Originally posted by Mactoid:
<STRONG>Are any of your files on a network drive? The finder doesn't generate previews for remote files.

I'd say that's a good thing for movies, I'd hate to see it try and make a preview for a large video file, but I wish It worked for mp3's.</STRONG>
Hopefully that's the angle of the 10.2 preview triangle. We will be able to turn on the preview for anything, even over a network. I'm not sure about that but it would seem logical.

ChaChi Boy  (op)
Senior User
Jan 29, 2002, 03:12 PM

<STRONG>Are any of your files on a network drive? The finder doesn't generate previews for remote files.</STRONG>
Yes that is what I thought also, but it also happends locally.

I tried to batch convert them using MP3 rage. I set the creator code to iTunes and it seemed to remove the preview for all of them. Great.

motti
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 29, 2002, 03:35 PM

Had the same problem. Solved it as follows: marked all my files, in the "open with application" tab, chose "iTunes 2.0.3", then it worked.
It may as well for you...
AppleWatch - System Requirements: Female or male wrist | Left or right hand version | Ability to have a good time

wataru
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 29, 2002, 05:55 PM

The problem: MP3Rage uses the wrong "type" code--it sets things to "mp3!" but they should be "MPG3"

The solution: Change the type codes of all your messed up mp3s to "MPG3". I recommend Get Info, a shareware app available on http://www.versiontracker.com.

As a side note, setting a file's "open with application" setting does not change its type or creator code. It does not permanently change its icon either--you can revert it by highlighting the icon and pressing delete. For these reasons, I suggest changing the type and/or creator codes instead of the "open with application" setting.

[ 01-29-2002: Message edited by: wataru ]

marnie
Forum Regular
Mar 11, 2002, 07:26 PM

<STRONG>Are any of your files on a network drive? The finder doesn't generate previews for remote files.

I'd say that's a good thing for movies, I'd hate to see it try and make a preview for a large video file, but I wish It worked for mp3's.</STRONG>
my mp3 files are on a network and do not show previews in column mode but you can preview them with a "get info". kind of annoying behavior. is there some preference pane anyone knows of to change these settings? I imagine if it can show it in get info it should be able to do it in the column view.

diamondsw
Senior User
Mar 12, 2002, 05:01 PM

I'm pretty sure in recent versions of OS X, QuickTime is being leveraged to show the Finder previews. The problem is, if anything inhibits QuickTime from doing this, it just fails. I have RLE-encoded PICT files, JPEG 6.0 compressed graphics, and some odd MP3's that all refuse to show previews, because there's some bit somewhere that QuickTime just doesn't understand. Hell, I have *text* files and *rtf* files and *pdf* files that won't preview (in OS X, how much simpler can you get?). I've sent feedback any number of times, all for squat.

Oddly enough, the public beta used a different system for previews that was much more robust and tolerant.

Forum Links
Forum Rules