Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > iPhoto: Discuss raves/problems/bugs here.

iPhoto: Discuss raves/problems/bugs here. (Page 2)
mattmarshall
Senior User
Jan 8, 2002, 02:57 AM

this is too confusing--it's like the iTunes Library MINUS the ability to browse by Artist and Album. Pure madness.

They got it right with iTunes, I don't see why they messed it up here. When you click on the Library icon, the little "browse" should be there, just like iTunes. You will browse by "roll." Rolls will named by date they were taken, and are fully renameable. If you import folders and folders of pics, it makes each folder a roll, with folder name as roll name.

then, on the left, you still have Library, then the Playlists equivalent (Albums).

am i wrong?

-matt

ft2bme
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 8, 2002, 03:21 AM

Originally posted by OAW:
<STRONG>
Furthermore, the "editing" features are quite simply a joke. Actually, that's a little harsh. This is after all a consumer app, and I'm essentially a consumer user myself as opposed to a graphics professional ... so I'm definitely not looking for Photoshop or even GraphicConverter here. However, even a basic consumer-level image editing feature set should contain the ability to brighten/darken the image or adjust the [/b]contrast[/b]! Hopefully this will show up in the next version. I know I for one will be satisfied with the editing features once they do.
</STRONG>
I sort of work around this by being in the "Organize" view and dragging a photo to something like GraphicConverter. Adjust whatever you need to adjust there and save it. It saves the image that iPhoto uses.

Now double-click on the photo in iPhoto again, and you'll see your modified image.

Problem: The thumbnail image in the Organize view doesn't update. There must be a better way, but I found I could force it to update by going into the "Edit" view for that photo and doing and undoing some manipulation, like Black & White. That seems to update the thumbnail.

Unknown: If you Edit the image in iPhoto, and then in GraphicConverter, I'm not sure if you're editing the original, or the iPhoto-modified copy.

Ybot
Jan 8, 2002, 03:25 AM

I just wanted to note that I also have nothing about publishing on the Share panel. Just "Print" "Slide Show" and "Export." Has anyone found out what's the deal? Has anyone actually seen the other options listed there in an install of the software?

-Y

macrophyllum
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 8, 2002, 03:36 AM

Originally posted by godzookie2k:
<STRONG>IPhoto has Zero control on DPI, which is annoying as all hell, some 'advanced' setting to adjust this down or up would be nice. to change the iphoto location, quit it. Then in the terminal type:

defaults write com.apple.iphoto RootDirectory "

then drag the folder you want to have it set to onto the terminal window. That *should* place the path to the folder right after

RootDirectory "

(note: that quotation mark isn't a type o)

after you drag the folder to get the path, type another quotation mark at the end. so in the end you should have something similar to:

&lt;BLOCKQUOTE&gt;&lt;font size="1"face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial"&gt;code:&lt;/font&gt;&lt;HR&gt;&lt;pre&gt;&lt;font size=1 face=courier&gt; defaults write com.apple.iphoto RootDirectory &lt;font color = red&gt;"/Volumes/Your_partition_here/Subfolder/Subsubfolder"&lt;/font&gt;
&lt;/font&gt;&lt;/pre&gt;&lt;HR&gt;&lt;/BLOCKQUOTE&gt;

see my comment above about importing files that are nested too deep.

Nick</STRONG>
Thanks!
Worked great!

MickS
Senior User
Jan 8, 2002, 03:41 AM

Here is my share pane:

International English version so I can't use the Order Prints or Order Book features. They do appear though.

Ybot
Jan 8, 2002, 03:44 AM

Update. I restarted my computer, did a few internet things to ensure the net connection was okay, then launched iPhoto and BOOM on the Share panel I now have: Print/Slide Show/Order Prints/Order Book/Homepage/Export. So to all those who can't see those Sharing options: Restart, connect to the internet and then launch iPhoto. It checks to see if it's connected to the internet and then decides what Sharing options you get to see.

-Y

MickS
Senior User
Jan 8, 2002, 04:00 AM

&lt;rant&gt;
I don't agree with the Xeo here on constraining the iPhoto threads into one. If we are going to do this why not have one thread for Mail.

It also makes it pretty difficult to followup on the earlier questions, everything gets lost in here. A general thread makes sense for general stuff but for specific problems specific threads make more sense.
&lt;/rant&gt;

Anyway that said I'll try to be a good forum user and post a followup to a comment in the thread

Happened to me as well, it has filled your hard drive.
It copies all the images you import into ~/Picture/iPhoto Library

I guess the only way to sort this out is to import a few and then delete them from the old place and carry on. i hope Apple will fix this in the future to just use references to the original files or at least let you choose what it does.
This is a different problem to the one that I suffered from (I have &gt;15GB free). I would put this down as a bug in iPhoto. Regardless of the reason for not inserting an image it displays a single error message.

Sharky K.
Mac Elite
Jan 8, 2002, 05:18 AM

A few things why I am not going to use iPhoto
- draging the window is as slow as resizing it
- renames my files
- it creates a copy of files
- I want Adobe's save for web build in so I am sure I get the best quality in less KByte
- web export function is really bad!!!!!
- was hoping for cool effects with quicktime export
- doesn't organize my pictures wel. Put it in folders I don't know.
- should look at Pictures folder and use that one
- user interface could be better. (prefere default OS X view with toolbar at top etc)

and the bug picture:

I also have this with Mail and Adium

crayz
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 8, 2002, 06:25 AM

The free space in this directory will instantly be reduced in half because iPhoto copies all the pictures into its own date based library.

Saying it'll be reduced in half really makes no sense. If you have 20GB of free space and 50MB of photos, it will not be reduced in half. OTOH if you have a 20GB HD w/ only 1GB of space left(like me), and 1GB of photos(like me), and don't want to delete the real copy because you don't really trust iPhoto(like me), then you wind up w/ 0MB free. Uggh.

I've gone over this at other forums and perhaps people have mentioned it here, but a few quick points:
- drag an image from the Finder to an album and it shows a black bar as if the image will appear in the album. woop, it doesn't goes straight to the library, or you can fish it out of the "last imported" thing. not good
- gives errors of "not a proper image file" - e.g. I drag a directory of 800 images in and it tells me 4 weren't valid. thanks a f*cking lot. wanna tell me the names maybe? after an arduous process of tracking down the ones that didn't get imported I drag them in. works fine. hello?
- I want to be able to export to a lower image quality(i.e. "harder" compression) like with many other apps(like GraphicConverter, my fave)
- I want to be able to export and have it resize based on proportions, not actual pixel size. does Apple not understand a problem arises when you try to scale down images based on set pixel size if you have mixed portrait and landscape view?
- I want to be able to change the order of my albums
- I want some way of having subfolders in the albums.I guess the naming thing would sort of work, but it's not really what I want
- less RAM....maybe? check out top while going around in your library. the thing likes 150MB+ of real RAM(RPRVT) on my machine. I have heard others say it uses even more on theirs. I know RAM is cheap, but that is pretty damn high
- the window resizing is terrible. couldn't we just have outline-resizing?
- I would like more scriptability built-in to the app. I have a little CLI app I wrote that basically just processes a list of photo names and makes them into a webpage(simple page no thumbnails - for most of my pics I don't want thumbnails). it'd be nice if I could somehow link to this and use it from within iPhoto
- why do they have to change the names? my pictures all have perfectly good names right now. they are just the names the camera gave them, but it's more useful than 1.jpg, 2.jpg etc(because the camera name/number tells me when the photo was taken chronologically - what does the iPhoto number tell me...when the photo was added to the library? wtf do I want that?)

[ 01-08-2002: Message edited by: crayz ]
"You have violated the spelling of the DMCA and will be jailed with the Village People."

GnOm
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 8, 2002, 07:01 AM

iPhoto is the king of the spinningwheelofdeath. Never ever had so much of �em, not even in 10.0.
It tends to crash a lot, it stops importing when the mousebutton is pressed, it duplicates pictures that are already on HD when importing them.

The idea is very very cool though.

bye.

DaveGee
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 8, 2002, 09:50 AM

My take...

iPhoto I LOVE the concept and so far I LIKE what Apple has done. We have to remember folks this is a v1.0 App and it may have been 'finished up' before all of the planned features were put into place. I'm sure we will see things like PhotoCD burning but MWSF snuck up on the project before it was ready. Look at iTunes v1.0 and look at iPhoto v1.0 - iTunes got much better and I'm sure we will see the same with iPhoto.

As for the app making a copy of the image... I'm not too upset with that... As I already said this IS a v1.0 and if something BAD did happen I sure wouldn't want it effing-up all the photos in my archive would you?

Remember, good software takes time and I've yet to see a v1.0 they couldn't stand improvements.. Also, since this product IS starting to elbo in on a MAJOR 3rd party software developer (even ever so slightly) politics is also an issue and not one to be taken lightly.

iPhoto will mature (as did iTunes)... It ability to order prints and books is an awsome feature for our "Moms and Pops and/or Grandmas and Grandpas".

Taken for what it is iPhoto seems to be going in the right direction... Sure the interface could use improvement as well as the almost non-existant prefs panel but that is why we should all be sending email to Apple requesting these improvements for v1.x or v2.0.

Remember Apple does seems to listen when we email them, they might not always follow thru but when they can they sure seem to.

My advice (and something I'm going to do) is to outline exactly what I like and don't like with v1.0 and send it off to Apple if everyone else did the same I'm sure we'll get some action. Not tomorrow mind you but in the next version.

Dave

Judge_Fire
Mac Elite
Jan 8, 2002, 09:58 AM

Two issues:

1: When dragging a folder of JPEG images into iPhoto in order to import them, it appears to recompress them, resulting in quality loss. Can someone verify this? I've heard a rumor that the same happens when downloading from the camera! JPEGs in the camera get opened and recompressed as JPEGs?

2: Annoyingly, dragging a named folder full of pics into iPhoto pays no respect to the folder name. All my hand crafted 'albums' ie. folders, have to be renamed.

J

Eug
Clinically Insane
Jan 8, 2002, 10:10 AM

Originally posted by KidRed:
<STRONG>Don't know if this has been mentioned but my wife is already playing with it and she had a few warnibg signs on some of the pics.

The warning signs are there to tell you the pics are low rez and won't print nicely. HOW COOL IS THAT!? That would suck to design the book spend the money to have it made to find out 4 of the photos suck and are blurred or jagged. That rocks, "hey, this pic sucks, get a new one" is so cool for the av person. Very nice feature.</STRONG>
Well this feature has been with the online printers for the past year. Nothing new.

DannyVTim
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 8, 2002, 10:59 AM

It is a 1.0 version and shows it. However, it's also an unpolished version 1.0 and should have been better out of the gate. Image View Pro is far far better and iPhoto is a long way away from doing the same things. It was a bit disappointing that Apple didn't do a better job but it's free so nobody got riped off. It is a mistake by Apple to release it at this point. They should have waited another 6 months because it need lots of work. It's farely useless in many regards. Plus, if one is into takeing photographs it doesn't come close to replacing IView or some other lower end apps. It's basiclly a poor shareware offering.
Dan

MickS
Senior User
Jan 8, 2002, 11:08 AM

It is a 1.0 version and shows it. However, it's also an unpolished version 1.0 and should have been better out of the gate. Image View Pro is far far better and iPhoto is a long way away from doing the same things. It was a bit disappointing that Apple didn't do a better job but it's free so nobody got riped off. It is a mistake by Apple to release it at this point. They should have waited another 6 months because it need lots of work. It's farely useless in many regards. Plus, if one is into takeing photographs it doesn't come close to replacing IView or some other lower end apps. It's basiclly a poor shareware offering.
I agree that it's a 1.0 version and missing features. However the first (and some will argue the current) iTunes wasn't the best in terms of feature set either.

It does the job it's trying to do. It is a fairly simple app at present and I'm sure that there are plenty of features to be added. However remember the market of iPhoto, it's not to replace professional grade photo library applications. It's to fit the spot like AppleWorks does. It's fine for most people's needs.

IMO it's better for them to release it now, before OS X is the default shipping OS, than later and give more people the problem of importing Image Capture imported photo's into it.

[ 01-08-2002: Message edited by: MickS ]

murk
Forum Regular
Jan 8, 2002, 12:16 PM

I like iPhoto, but there are somethings I just don't get. Especially the file system. So importing my previous images copies the files into another folder and looses the names? The original files are there, too. Am I supposed to keep two copies, or what? Why not leave them where they are at? If I change the name in iPhoto, I also think the file, wherever it is at, should change it's name, too.

Another needed feature is scanner support.

blixa
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 8, 2002, 01:18 PM

Just checked... It doesn't re-compress the files. It does create a thumbnail preview, but it also keeps a copy of the original file (minus the useful filename it may have had).

Of course, iPhoto crashes on me within 5 minutes every time I run it. Seems incredibly rushed.

Originally posted by Judge_Fire:
<STRONG>Two issues:

1: When dragging a folder of JPEG images into iPhoto in order to import them, it appears to recompress them, resulting in quality loss. Can someone verify this? I've heard a rumor that the same happens when downloading from the camera! JPEGs in the camera get opened and recompressed as JPEGs?

J</STRONG>

DaveGee
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 8, 2002, 01:34 PM

nevermind...

[ 01-08-2002: Message edited by: DaveGee ]

clebin
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 8, 2002, 01:43 PM

iPhoto is a waste of Apple's time.

Windows has thumbnail and slideshow views directly in Explorer. With our large icons, we should be able to turn them into custom thumbnail icons automatically with a contextual menu. iPhoto shows that Apple don't understand this.

It's just a stupid extra layer of abstraction that we should be trying to avoid. If you didn't have to add every photo into iPhoto's own library, then you could look at any directory on the fly like with GraphicConverter - again, from a service or a contextual menu. It might then be a bit more useful. But you do, and the link between the library and the filesystem is highly tenuous.

It's a nice(-ish) execution of a flawed concept. Nice as a replacement for Image Capture, but as an alternative to a shortfall in Mac functionality compared with Windows it's a total botch. I hope that future versions contain plenty of extra useful features - it might then carve a better niche for itself.

Sorry, I'd love to love this app, as I love iTunes, but I can't. Little things like the fact that Import on the File menu imports from a directory and the Import button imports from camera are just careless; and the fact that it's "Designed for Mac OS X" but doesn't work in a multiuser environment is laughable.

Chris

clebin
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 8, 2002, 02:03 PM

Also, a lot of people have said they hope it gets a big v2 upgrade like iTunes. iTunes v1.0 was pretty complete wasn't it? I'd be hoping for a lot more in iPhoto 2.0 than the equivalent of a graphic equaliser and fading between songs.

It needs serious power features, it needs a barrel-load of bug-fixes and interface tweaks, and it needs a serious rethink in the way it interacts with the local filesystem. A hefty list of must-haves for a new application.

But maybe it'll grow on me. Perhaps I should reserve judgement before posting two rants about it.

Chris

MickS
Senior User
Jan 8, 2002, 02:04 PM

clebin

Taking your argument further iTunes is also a waste of Apple's time. It's possible to organise the MP3 files into a hierarchical folder structure and you could manage the rest of it with playlists. It doesn't work however because iTunes gives you more than that.

In a similar way so does iPhoto. Looking from a purely organisational point of view you would need additional metadata to be added to the filesystem (+ the ability to search for it in Sherlock) to implement the keyword feature (I'd like free text search on the comments in iPhoto though).

Also don't under-estimate the ability to do a quick visual scan of all of the photo's in your Library. I have been using folders with custom views and large icons to organise pictures and it takes longer to search through a number of folders visually than it does to quickly look through them in iPhoto. You can also file a photo in a number of different albums. Of course both of these could be implemented in the filesystem using aliases but I expect that they would be difficult to maintain.

Folders are a good idea for a view pictures but with a large image library (I've loaded &gt;1000 images into iPhoto) an application to organise them is needed. Look at the sales of Extensis Portfolio and similar products as justification of this.

That said iPhoto is not at all polished and I would expect some aspects of the interface (everything outside the main view and album windows) to change over the next 6-12 months.

starman
Clinically Insane
Jan 8, 2002, 02:30 PM

One gripe off the top of my head is that when I import pix from the top-level of a folder hierarchy (which, in my case, are folders names for the dates the pix were taken), iPhoto does nothing to keep that hierarchy internally. You have to go through them all and separate them yourself, OR, what I do, import each folder one at a time, go to "Recent Imported Roll" or whatever it's called, create a new folder in iPhoto, and drag the files into it. Way too much work when you have as many photos as I do.

Mike

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

MasonMcD
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 8, 2002, 03:01 PM

Anyone know how to buy one of those damn books? I keep trying, and I have one-click enabled, but it keeps wanting to "enable one-click" and modifying the info I have for my one-click account.

"Your account information could not be updated at this time. Please try again later"

Just lost $30.

DannyVTim
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 8, 2002, 03:17 PM

Originally posted by MickS:
<STRONG>

I agree that it's a 1.0 version and missing features. However the first (and some will argue the current) iTunes wasn't the best in terms of feature set either.

It does the job it's trying to do. It is a fairly simple app at present and I'm sure that there are plenty of features to be added. However remember the market of iPhoto, it's not to replace professional grade photo library applications. It's to fit the spot like AppleWorks does. It's fine for most people's needs.

IMO it's better for them to release it now, before OS X is the default shipping OS, than later and give more people the problem of importing Image Capture imported photo's into it.

[ 01-08-2002: Message edited by: MickS ]</STRONG>

Giving someone a poor product is not better then giving him or her anything because a bad product turns people away. Besides, one could offer shareware apps as an interim measure. There are inexpensive shareware apps like iView that Apple could have included to get people started. iView is on the shareware level but it doesn’t have a shareware price at $50.00. However, it’s far better than iPhoto. It's not that it's 1.0 but that it's not really a 1.0. Apple should have gotten the organize part of the software correct because it’s the most important part. People who use digital cameras quickly end up with hundreds or thousands photos. iPhoto isn’t up to handling hundreds and thousands is out of the question. Apple makes a buck off of each book or photo printed I bet.
Dan

kman42
Professional Poster
Jan 8, 2002, 03:29 PM

Part of the problem is that people are starting to use this app by importing all of their old photos and this is obviously a big problem for iPhoto. They just didn't get the import feature right. Period.

However, if you consider using it from this point on by plugging in your camera and importing directly from the camera it actually looks like it will perform much better. The film role idea is useful and it is easy to use.

I'm not speaking to the other flaws in the app, just importing. I think they just plain screwed up the import from file interface. They could go a long way toward fixing this by keeping folder structure and names and allowing people to go back and put in film role separaters by hand.

kman

Eug
Clinically Insane
Jan 8, 2002, 04:04 PM

Originally posted by kman42:
<STRONG>Part of the problem is that people are starting to use this app by importing all of their old photos and this is obviously a big problem for iPhoto. They just didn't get the import feature right. Period.

However, if you consider using it from this point on by plugging in your camera and importing directly from the camera it actually looks like it will perform much better. The film role idea is useful and it is easy to use.

I'm not speaking to the other flaws in the app, just importing. I think they just plain screwed up the import from file interface. They could go a long way toward fixing this by keeping folder structure and names and allowing people to go back and put in film role separaters by hand.

kman</STRONG>
Not really. For importing, the Image Capture app is better more suitable for me. I can have the image capture app load and import, and then load any app I want. In my case I have it run ExifRenamer, which renames all the files to ones that make use the time/date data.

JeremyS
Senior User
Jan 8, 2002, 04:08 PM

I just discovered a hidden feature of iPhoto, when you double click a picture and it brings up a new window showing the picture, if you click the Aqua widget on the top right of the window it brings up the editing tool bar and even allows you to customize it just like other X apps.

I think this is too hidden the average user wouldn't even find this, also doesn't it seem that that widget has a different use in every app?

bseely
Jan 8, 2002, 04:20 PM

Originally posted by Eug:
<STRONG>
What we REALLY need is to have the Finder be able to generate preview icons on the fly for entire directories, like in Win 2000/XP. (One wouldn't have to turn this on by default.) This would negate some of my need of having to load up iPhoto. (Icons are generated using the Image Capture app, but I have tons of photos that have not been imported this way.)
</STRONG>
Use GraphicConverter 4.1 - just do a Browse Folder.... on your folder full of pictures. It will go through and assign a preview to all of them. At least, it did for me

ChaChi Boy
Senior User
Jan 8, 2002, 04:34 PM

Iguana: The other green meat.

Xeo  (op)
Moderator Emeritus
Jan 8, 2002, 04:35 PM

Originally posted by MickS:
<STRONG>&lt;rant&gt;
I don't agree with the Xeo here on constraining the iPhoto threads into one. If we are going to do this why not have one thread for Mail.

It also makes it pretty difficult to followup on the earlier questions, everything gets lost in here. A general thread makes sense for general stuff but for specific problems specific threads make more sense.
&lt;/rant&gt;</STRONG>
This isn't permanent. As with all other software, you can post individual threads about iPhoto in the X - Software thread. If you want to post here in X - General, then for now it needs to be here. If Mail had 15 threads all right next to each other then yes, I would close them all and consolidate.

Specific software issues need to be in the X - Software forum. Quite often we let software related threads slip but that doesn't mean it's A-OK. We don't want to be too strict around here but the iPhoto thing got a little crazy.

Don't worry. It's not something that happens often. It's MacWorld so things are a bit out of the ordinary. Expect everything to be normal again in a few days.

The day after MacWorld is over is the day I will stop closing iPhoto threads. There's your timeframe. If you want to start your own thread, start it in X - Software. It won't be closed there.

Thanks.

ChaChi Boy
Senior User
Jan 8, 2002, 04:37 PM

Originally posted by Eug:
<STRONG>
Overall, I give this app a 6/10. It will get better with time though I'm sure (or at least hope).
</STRONG>
You have got to be ****ing kidding me. 6 out of 10??? What are you comparing it to that brings it down so low? Please tell us this miracle app is called!!

DannyVTim
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 8, 2002, 05:58 PM

Originally posted by ChaChi Boy:
<STRONG>

You have got to be ****ing kidding me. 6 out of 10??? What are you comparing it to that brings it down so low? Please tell us this miracle app is called!!</STRONG>

It's not a miracle app, but a simple shareware app like iView is much better. It organizes well and handles exif information which is more important that printing a hard bound book. Apple blew it on this one.
Dan

ChaChi Boy
Senior User
Jan 8, 2002, 06:10 PM

Originally posted by DannyVTim:
<STRONG> Apple blew it on this one.</STRONG>
Time to go to XP I guess

marusin
Senior User
Jan 8, 2002, 06:41 PM

Hey everyone,

I really like iPhoto and look at the product as a cataloging system and being able to order prints and photo albums easily.. If you want to do serious image manipulation use PhotoShop. Just like I don't use iTunes to do serious audio work. It's a consumer application..

Anyways, one thing that would be nice is to be able to export picture pages you make to an external website (outside of your iDisk). Is this a feature that I'm overlooking or is this something that we can possibly hope for in version 2.0? I would love to be able to crank out a picture page of a trip I go on or something like that and send it to my own hosted site...

-Mike

ls -al
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 8, 2002, 07:31 PM

I had the same problems. Discovered that it was caused by an "incompatible/corrupt" service (Wordservice.service in my case).

Here's the remedy

1. Remove your Services folder from Home/Library log-off and log back in. It should solve your problem.
2. If 1 does not work. Try removing services you may have installed in /Library/Services.
3. If that still doesn't work. Try removing 3rd party Cocoa apps that provide services from /Applications or /Home/Applications.

Welcome to the world of 'Service Conflicts' !!! Let me know if this solved your problem.

--------
Originally posted by barbarian:
<STRONG>I stated this prob in another thread, but maybe it makes sense to restate here:

Problem: None of the Net Services are visible. No order prints, no make book, no publish to web.

1. US English version of the program

2. Normal install. (if you try to delete and reinstall in a custom install iPhoto is checked and says size = 3542, NetServices is checked and says size = OK).

3. No firewall

4. Normal fixed IP DSL.

5. No proxy.

[ 01-08-2002: Message edited by: barbarian ]</STRONG>

barbarian
Senior User
Jan 8, 2002, 07:57 PM

Thanks for the remedy.

Tried #1. No dice. (wordservice.service was removed by the way)

Tried #2. No dice.

Re #3: I have scores of Cocoa apps. Is there any way to simply ferret out just the ones with services (my services menu has about 30 items)?

ls -al
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 8, 2002, 08:23 PM

Barbarian,

Couple of other things to try.

1. Create a new user account and see if iPhoto works properly from that account. If it does you know that it is a problem with your Home/Library folder. If so follow instructions below. If not it is a problem with an installed Cocoa app providing incompatible services.
2. Remove Home/Library/Cache directory
3. Make sure you have English (not US English and not British English) as your language (you can change this in the International Panel).
4. If 2, and 3 does not work. Move the Home/Library folder to your desktop. Log off and Log-in. Hopefully iPhoto will work.

Let me know if any of this helps... If not I have some more ideas for you to try...

climber
Mac Elite
Jan 8, 2002, 09:28 PM

My biggest gripe with iPhoto is its apparant inabliity to print two 4x6 or two 5x7s on a letter sized page. I have tried everything I could thing of to get it to work??? Anyone out there able to do this?? I cant' believe it won't work.. It has a sliding bar to change how many columns of photos are on each page.. But that only gives you very small prints.

This is very stupid. I guess Apple expects me to buy 4x6 paper and a new epson printer capable of edge to edge printing... I think not

Come on guys my win XP box can do this.......Give me a break!!!
climber

themexican
Jan 8, 2002, 10:58 PM

I had the same lack of netservices problem mentioned above with iPhoto and discovered the same solution (remove apps that add services and ".service" files).

The weird thing is that things don't always work the way you expect. For example, I removed the entire utilities folder which solved the prob. Then I started adding files one by one until the problem struck again after adding SNAX. But here's the odd part. After removing SNAX, logging out, and logging back in the problem persisted. I then had to remove a bunch of other apps. Anyway, I don't know if any of this makes sense, but here are some pointers:

Text Wielder and Jedit always seem to induce the problem.

Xray, Super Get Info, SNAX, File Buddy, and Java Web Start seem to cause problems in combination with each other (haven't figured out the exact combo yet).

Hope this helps. Good luck.

arrlin
Jan 8, 2002, 11:26 PM

iPhoto- garbage.

I'm sure there are lots of threads that already lay out all the issues that I have with this app; and there are many. So let me just say that this program is utterly useless.

This program totally goes against mac philosophy.
The finder is a much better way to organize photos. Apple needs to just improve the preview pane for jpeg photos; to make them resizable previews (as in snax).

I have thousands of images stored. I organize them in my picture folder by month and year. I have jpg psd tif avi dv files all organized this way. Most of my images are adjusted in photoshop. What I need is a better preview of my images in the finder and a way to rotate and resize my images easily.

Apple has just released an iphoto script that resizes your images and then adds them to an email message. Stuck this script in the toolbar. Now I just drag an image from column view onto the icon and it resizes it and opens it a new mail message.

I waited a long time for iPhoto. Big disappointment

Kristoff
Mac Elite
Jan 9, 2002, 12:45 AM

I have to say I like it, but am perplexed as well.

The ideas and concepts kick ass, but:

My wife and I have several hundred photos.
I want to create a universal library on an image server.
I don't want three copies of the photos (1 on my machine, 1 on hers, 1 on the server).
Maybe I haven't played with it enough to figure out how to do this, but it seems to me like it is user-centric to the point of not being able to share images like this without making complete copies.

With iTunes and MP3s, it's very easy. We just have our MP3 server and mount the drive, then iTunes Library makes references. How can I do the same thing with iPhoto?
signatures are a waste of bandwidth
especially ones with political tripe in them.

digdog
Forum Regular
Jan 9, 2002, 01:37 AM

iPhoto looks huh* with this kind of usage...

Severed Hand of Skywalker
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 9, 2002, 02:10 AM

Strange. The music for slideshows doesn�t work for "other" songs on my G4 CUBE. This also happends on another cube that I tested it on but not my iBook.

Can anyone else with a Cube test it?

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

stevenhaddon
Jan 9, 2002, 04:57 AM

Sorry if this has been mentioned before (I haven't read this thread in depth), but I'd like to comment on the assertion that iPhoto copies ALL your photos into its own library, duplicating them on your hard disk.

I will *not* do this if your photos have an internet compatible name. By this, I mean that if you call your photo "Bob With His Stupid Hat" then a copy will be made, inside the iPhoto directory, with an internet compatible filename. If you call it something like "bob_stupidhat.jpg" then it won't.

Something like this is necessary - I was trying to help my Dad upload some holiday photos onto his site, and it just didn't work if the names were too Macintosh like.

Not nice, but that's cross-platform for you...

Steve

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Jan 9, 2002, 06:48 AM

Originally posted by stevenhaddon:
<STRONG>Sorry if this has been mentioned before (I haven't read this thread in depth), but I'd like to comment on the assertion that iPhoto copies ALL your photos into its own library, duplicating them on your hard disk.

I will *not* do this if your photos have an internet compatible name. By this, I mean that if you call your photo "Bob With His Stupid Hat" then a copy will be made, inside the iPhoto directory, with an internet compatible filename. If you call it something like "bob_stupidhat.jpg" then it won't.

Something like this is necessary - I was trying to help my Dad upload some holiday photos onto his site, and it just didn't work if the names were too Macintosh like.

Not nice, but that's cross-platform for you...

Steve</STRONG>
It could just make a temporary Internet-friendly copy right before it's going to upload it, and then delete the temporary copy afterward...

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

clebin
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 9, 2002, 06:52 AM

Originally posted by ChaChi Boy:
<STRONG>

Time to go to XP I guess </STRONG>
Grow up.

Chris

Surfer
Forum Regular
Jan 9, 2002, 08:10 AM

Downloaded the new iPhoto application yesterday. Its looking very nice and I especially like the library system for storing the photographs.

There a few features that would be nice to have in a 1.5 version...

* Customizable HTML templates for the creation of homepages, similar to iView Media Pro

* Display of EXIF headers, I like to see the capture information of the picture. iPhoto, uses the EXIF headers and preserves them, so it might as well be able to display the info.

* Preserve original filename. Some cameras have a very good file naming structure. It would be nice if iPhoto wouldn't change the original files!!

* To download images from the camera seems to be a lot slower than using Image Capture in OS X, why is this?? Could it take extra time to create small thumbnails?

That's all I could think of for now... otherwise, great program!!

Severed Hand of Skywalker
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 9, 2002, 08:49 AM

....yoink....

[ 01-09-2002: Message edited by: Severed Hand of Skywalker ]

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

crayz
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 9, 2002, 09:00 AM

I will *not* do this if your photos have an internet compatible name. By this, I mean that if you call your photo "Bob With His Stupid Hat" then a copy will be made, inside the iPhoto directory, with an internet compatible filename. If you call it something like "bob_stupidhat.jpg" then it won't

Pretty much all my photos have the same name they had from the camera, e.g. DSCF3843.JPG

iPhoto copies all of them into its directory and renames them. Don't know wtf you're talking about there.
"You have violated the spelling of the DMCA and will be jailed with the Village People."

curmi
Senior User
Jan 9, 2002, 09:16 AM

Don't know if it has been mentioned yet, but once again an Apple application has no meta-data support.

Within iPhoto you can attach titles and comments to photos. Now try and export the photos. You get a file name consisting of the title and an extension. The comment is not attached as meta data (even though files have a comment meta-data area - check out Show Info). What a great opportunity this was for Apple to show the world how this should be done.

Also, the TYPE/CREATOR is not set. It is replicated, if the file imported had one, but if it came from a camera say directly, it won't have any type/creator. So it once again relies completely on the extension given.

Good to see Apple is listening.

Forum Links
Forum Rules