Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Why won't this work in Safari?

Why won't this work in Safari?
Buck_W
Senior User
Sep 19, 2005, 05:31 PM

On one of my websites, I have a link to an audio file (AAC format - m4a). The purpose of the link is to enable people to ("right click") download the file. The link works fine with IE, Firefox, Opera, but not with Safari.

When I right click and choose to download the linked file in Safari, I get a document with filename.m4a.html

Why? Anybody have any suggestions or work arounds?
17" MacBook Pro 2.66 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo | 320G HD | 8 GB RAM | 10.10.3

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Sep 19, 2005, 05:43 PM

It sounds like the server is sending the wrong MIME type, and Safari is following the Apple guideline of giving the file the correct file extension for its type. Do you have a type set up for AAC?
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

Buck_W  (op)
Senior User
Sep 19, 2005, 06:34 PM

Originally Posted by Chuckit
It sounds like the server is sending the wrong MIME type, and Safari is following the Apple guideline of giving the file the correct file extension for its type. Do you have a type set up for AAC?
Thanks for the response, Chuck. . . could you please elaborate? Is there something specific my web host needs to do?
17" MacBook Pro 2.66 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo | 320G HD | 8 GB RAM | 10.10.3

osxrules
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 19, 2005, 09:03 PM

I get the same thing with some custom program files. Safari always adds .txt on the end. Unlike Firefox, Safari doesn't seem to have a way of setting mime-types.

CaptainHaddock
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 20, 2005, 08:41 AM

When a web server sends a file to a web browser, its header includes information on what kind of data the file is, so the browser knows what to do with it. Your web server is errantly telling Safari that the AAC file is text/html data.

Your web host needs to look at its settings for Apache (or whatever web server is being used) and add the correct MIME type for AAC/M4A files. This sort of thing should really be properly configured to start with!

Forum Links
Forum Rules