Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Developer Center > Tutorial: FUSE and sshfs

Tutorial: FUSE and sshfs
besson3c
Clinically Insane
Feb 7, 2007, 06:21 PM

I'm really into using FUSE/sshfs as a replacement for slow and limited Appletalk/AFP. If you ever need to connect to multiple accounts on a single server and are becoming frustrated with the lack of capability in AFP in allowing this, I strongly suggest checking this out. I've also found using an SSH tunnel to be much faster than AFP, oddly enough.

I've setup some instructions for doing this on my brand new blog:

NetMusician Labs � Blog Archive � FUSE and sshfs in OS X

Let me know what you think, either here or on the blog. Thanks!

Brass
Professional Poster
Feb 7, 2007, 09:13 PM

Haven't tried it, but it looks handy.

Have you looked into using Platypus to create a wrapper around the script(s) instead of adding ".command" to the end of the file name? The result is much cleaner - you end up with an application that (optionally) quits when the script has finished, and you don't get left with a useless Terminal window hanging about looking untidy.

besson3c  (op)
Clinically Insane
Feb 7, 2007, 09:24 PM

Originally Posted by Brass View Post
Haven't tried it, but it looks handy.

Have you looked into using Platypus to create a wrapper around the script(s) instead of adding ".command" to the end of the file name? The result is much cleaner - you end up with an application that (optionally) quits when the script has finished, and you don't get left with a useless Terminal window hanging about looking untidy.
Awesome tip! Platypus is fantastic... Thank you! I'll add this (and using SSH keys) to my tutorial.

besson3c  (op)
Clinically Insane
Feb 7, 2007, 09:41 PM

I've updated my guide as promised. Thanks for this valuable pointer Brass!

Forum Links
Forum Rules