Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > question about storing the ibook

question about storing the ibook
Spike vs. Giles
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 25, 2003, 12:45 PM

My ibook should be coming in a few days. I've heard the keys can rub up against the screen when it is closed. Someone told me you can buy something that fits in between them to protect the screen (obviously I could just put a cloth or something there, but I'd rather get something that fits it perfectly. Anybody heard of something like this?

alien
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 25, 2003, 07:36 PM

I've never had this problem with my iBook, after nearly 2 years of use. I think this was an issue with the early Titanium PowerBooks, but on the iBook there is a good distance between the screen and the keyboard. Also the case isn't flexing.

I don't remember the name of the products you mention. But Apple includes a foam-like sheet that covers the keyboard when you receive the iBook.

arclight
Forum Regular
Mar 25, 2003, 07:59 PM

This problem does happen if you travel at all. I carried my ibook throughout an 8 week backpack across Europe and after the first stop it was apparent that the screen wouldn't make the trip un-scathed unless I figured something out quick.

I eventually had to use my camera lens cloth to prevent the keys from imprinting onto the screen any further. The rubber stops at the edges of the lid do keep the screen away from the keyboard. However, if it's in a backpack or anything tight fitting, this problem will happen. I also use a sfbags slipcase to further protect it. The cloth solved the problem and made for a great cleaning cloth with all the dirt & sand.

An ibook makes a great travelling companion-
---------------------------------------

Spike vs. Giles  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 25, 2003, 09:08 PM

I'm thinking about getting an iSkin for it. Has anybody used those?

stefls
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 26, 2003, 06:41 AM

Originally posted by Spike vs. Giles:
My ibook should be coming in a few days. I've heard the keys can rub up against the screen when it is closed. Someone told me you can buy something that fits in between them to protect the screen (obviously I could just put a cloth or something there, but I'd rather get something that fits it perfectly. Anybody heard of something like this?
On delivery there's a piece of protecting material already between your screen and the keyboard! It's some kind of foam-like material. It fits perfectly and it protects your screen perfectly while on travel.

Stefan

entiZ
Mar 26, 2003, 08:09 AM

Stefan is right. Just hold on to that foam sheet for any extensive traveling.

Spike vs. Giles  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 26, 2003, 11:10 AM

Originally posted by entiZ:
Stefan is right. Just hold on to that foam sheet for any extensive traveling.
Cool.

mark2
Mar 26, 2003, 12:44 PM

I also agree with Stephan.
The iBook will come in a foam sleeve and it will have another sheet of foam material protecting the keyboard. I saved both items.
I use the foam sheet every time I close the iBook, and I slip the iBook into the sleeve before putting it into the carrying case.
Works great! I've had the iBook for a year, no keyboard marks on the screen, and there are no exterior scratches.
Best of all, this added protection is FREE!

Peter
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 26, 2003, 04:01 PM

Originally posted by Spike vs. Giles:
I'm thinking about getting an iSkin for it. Has anybody used those?
I thought iSkins were for iPods?
I just put my iBook in a ruckscack, they are fairly robust.
we don't have time to stop for gas

Spike vs. Giles  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 26, 2003, 07:11 PM

Originally posted by PeterClark2002:
I thought iSkins were for iPods?
I just put my iBook in a ruckscack, they are fairly robust.
They also make one that fits over the keyboard of the ibook.

Mojo
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 26, 2003, 07:54 PM

http://www.jrhillandcompany.com/

Been using their keyboard protector for over a year; leather lasts a LOT longer than that plastic sheet ever will.

Spike vs. Giles  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 26, 2003, 11:13 PM

Originally posted by Mojo:
http://www.jrhillandcompany.com/

Been using their keyboard protector for over a year; leather lasts a LOT longer than that plastic sheet ever will.
Those look pretty good, and they're cheap. I ordered one. Thanks for the heads up.

billybob128
Senior User
Apr 1, 2003, 04:50 PM

to all those people ot there that just put their iBook in a slip or nothing at all in their backpack. havnt any of your screens bowed cause ive heard that that can happen

arclight
Forum Regular
Apr 1, 2003, 07:53 PM

My screen didn't bow but it sure did take on a mirror image of the keyboard. nearly every key left a perfect imprint from my (apparently) very oily fingers. The lens cleaning cloth took them right off though-
---------------------------------------

g. olson
Forum Regular
Apr 6, 2003, 11:20 AM

I use the JRHill leather keyboard protector. It has an nice leather smell and does a great job protecting my screen. I could see from the beginning (over a year ago) that little marks would appear on my screen from the keyboard. There were never any permanent marks but I figured that would happen eventually.
"A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of small minds" - Emerson

Forum Links
Forum Rules