Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Sleep/Shut Down Issues

Sleep/Shut Down Issues
DrakkenKorin
May 5, 2003, 03:49 PM

I hope someone out there can help me or offer me some insight.

For about a week now, everytime I go to put my mac to sleep, or if I want to restart or shut down, it ignores me.

I click the little apple and select sleep ..... nothing happens. Try it again ..... again nothing. One more time, this time, for grins .... after about 2 mins, it decides it'll sleep . This has happened to me for about a week now.

When I go to restart, as I like to restart the machine at least once a week. Click the apple, click restart ....... nothing. Try again ..... again, nothing. One more time, for grins ....... still nothing . Wind up having to hold the power button down for a min or so, then it'll shut down and I have to power up again. But when I do power up, it takes, on average, about 3 minutes (no lie). I get the same behavior when I try to shut down.

Another thing I noticed, was that my screen saver wouldn't activate when I went to one of the 'hot corners' to activate it. So I figure, somehow it decided to turn it off for some reason, maybe it wanted to behave like a PC. So I fire up System Prefs, and go to Screen Effects ..... Beach ball. I try to Force Quit .... nothing. However, if I right-click its icon on the dock, it'll let me quit it.

OS is up to date and the only software I have recently loaded was iTunes4 and new drivers for a new printer I purchased about 2 weeks ago. I removed the drivers and the printer to see if they were the cuase, but I get the same behavior with out the printer loaded.

Any tips?

Thanks

theory
Dedicated MacNNer
May 5, 2003, 10:36 PM

When ever something like this (as in I
can't explain it) I try these two things
first

1) Run Process viewer. Is there something
that shouldn't be there?

2) Try creating a new user and see if
it happens in the new one if it doesn't then there is probably something wrong
with your acount. Trashing your prefrences
might be in order.

g. olson
Forum Regular
May 6, 2003, 12:30 AM

I would also suggest you "repair permissions" using the first aid feature of the disk utility in your utility folder. I have had intermittent wakd from sleep problems which drove me crazy. Repairing disk permissions seems to solve a lot of those kind of problems. Don't ask me why.
"A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of small minds" - Emerson

DrakkenKorin  (op)
May 6, 2003, 08:08 AM

Well I tested theory's theory .

Created myself another user and logged in. Played with it for about 2 to 3 hours then tried sleeping, shutting down, restarting and logging out. Wouldn't you know it, they all worked fine.

Now I'm going to use g.'s suggestion and run dik utility.

I'm crossing my fingers b/c I really don't want to ditch this acct as I finally have it they way I want it.

Keeping my fingers crossed...

And thanks for your suggestions/tips!

DrakkenKorin  (op)
May 7, 2003, 08:06 AM

Well it seems that the Permissions Fix done whatever it needed to do to fix the problem.

Thanx again for the input!

nforcer
Mac Elite
May 7, 2003, 08:44 AM

Originally posted by DrakkenKorin:
Now I'm going to use g.'s suggestion and run dik utility.
Maybe it's just me, but it might be easier to have a doctor do your health exam for you.

DrakkenKorin  (op)
May 7, 2003, 10:47 AM

Originally posted by nforcer:
Maybe it's just me, but it might be easier to have a doctor do your health exam for you.

OMG!! I didn't even notice that! LOL

Anomalous
Mac Elite
May 7, 2003, 03:57 PM

Originally posted by DrakkenKorin:

When I go to restart, as I like to restart the machine at least once a week. Click the apple, click restart ....... nothing. Try again ..... again, nothing. One more time, for grins ....... still nothing . Wind up having to hold the power button down for a min or so, then it'll shut down and I have to power up again. But when I do power up, it takes, on average, about 3 minutes (no lie). I get the same behavior when I try to shut down.
3 minutes is really not that bad for a startup after an improper shutdown. The system has to essentially run Disk Utility on the whole disk, which takes quite a while. I hope your problem has gone away permanently (then you can avoid long startup times).

DrakkenKorin  (op)
May 7, 2003, 06:40 PM

>> I hope your problem has gone away permanently (then you can avoid long startup times).<<

You and me both!

So far, after fixing the permissions, it hasn't given me any problems.

I have noticed though that my music file (.mp3's) don't sound as good under iTunes4. They keep fading in and out. Gonna have to research that one a bit.

Forum Links
Forum Rules