Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Do you lock your front door

Do you lock your front door
mixin visuals
Mac Elite
Jul 1, 2003, 01:33 AM

just wondering what others have to do. i lock ours sometimes, but we are out in the country and have good guard dogs to the point we really don't have to worry locks.

how about you?
Technology, Computing & Creativity - www.clubmedia.com

Overflowing with Design Links - www.mixinvisuals.com

VW Sites.com - Links to the Volkswagen World - www.vwsites.com

Ozmodiar
Mac Elite
Jul 1, 2003, 01:37 AM

My parents live in the timber in Iowa, and they lock all the doors before going to bed. Made for interesting wake-up calls when I would stumble in two hours past curfew and not have my keys.

I make sure all the doors are locked and windows are latched in my apartment before I go to bed. Even though I live on the third floor, this town is still a hole and anything is possible.

DeathMan
Mac Elite
Jul 1, 2003, 01:43 AM

I lock my door, but not when I'm home. At night when I'm home, I guess I do, like when I got to bed.

I used to live in a smaller town, and we never locked our doors, but as things change, and the town grew, and there started to be the odd burglary, we started locking the door. Its sad when it gets to that point.

itistoday
Professional Poster
Jul 1, 2003, 01:46 AM

yes

iXavier
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 1, 2003, 01:49 AM

I lock the door to the apartment as soon as I come in, and I use the deadbolt when I'm turning in for the night.

Growing up in the city, we always locked our doors but then my parents moved to the suburbs and left the doors opened when they were home but in the yard or something of that nature.

One day, a man who had just been released from a courthouse near their house walked in through the back door to their dining room and went to the bathroom (all while on some sort of drug). My dad found him there and held him at gunpoint until the police came. It makes for an interesting story, let me tell you, especially when the guy started throwing all of the medicine from the cabinet out of the window along with the shampoo, and soap, etc.

x.

Cipher13
Jul 1, 2003, 01:55 AM

Yes.

Even if I lived in the middle of nowhere, I would. Better safe than sorry, no?

mixin visuals  (op)
Mac Elite
Jul 1, 2003, 01:58 AM

Originally posted by iXavier:
I lock the door to the apartment as soon as I come in, and I use the deadbolt when I'm turning in for the night.

Growing up in the city, we always locked our doors but then my parents moved to the suburbs and left the doors opened when they were home but in the yard or something of that nature.

One day, a man who had just been released from a courthouse near their house walked in through the back door to their dining room and went to the bathroom (all while on some sort of drug). My dad found him there and held him at gunpoint until the police came. It makes for an interesting story, let me tell you, especially when the guy started throwing all of the medicine from the cabinet out of the window along with the shampoo, and soap, etc.

x.
i locked mine immediately too when i lived in philly

MikeM33
Mac Elite
Jul 1, 2003, 02:17 AM

Even though I've lived in the same town all my life I lock my doors now. When I was growing-up and living with my parents they never locked thier doors. I grew up in a nicer section of town than I live in now. I think over the years we started locking the doors because the nieghborhood had changed alot. After my remaining parent (my mother) passed away when I was 23 I moved out on my own for the first time. I instictively kept the doors locked and have always kept the doors locked living on my own.

MikeM

sideus
Mac Elite
Jul 1, 2003, 06:55 AM

I was going to answer but I could not find where to vote.

wulf
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 1, 2003, 07:15 AM

Only when I don't want to have all my stuff stolen

...but then I do live in a city. I probably wouldn't if I lived out in the country.

Mediaman_12
Professional Poster
Jul 1, 2003, 07:58 AM

I lived all my life on the edge of a small town/village and have never known the idea of not locking doors when you leave the house even for short periods, I have always done it and so has my mum. and I wouldn't say the area was a hotbed of crime.

yakkiebah
Mac Elite
Jul 1, 2003, 08:23 AM

only when i leave the house, otherwise no, not even when i'm asleep.

Dogma
Mac Elite
Jul 1, 2003, 09:01 AM

If I'm sleeping or upstairs in my "Studio" and no-one else is in, I'll lock the door. Of course it's locked when I'm out.

The safer than sorry argument - for one, the insurance wouldn't pay out if it wasn't locked.

Plus, we got Neds - which is now an official word! See Here
Hark, I hear a robin sig'ing in the trees!
Nae, there is no sog to be sug,
or am I wrog? Why can't I sig?

bradoesch
Professional Poster
Jul 1, 2003, 09:22 AM

If you get robbed and your doors were unlocked, does insurance still cover what was stolen?

Zimphire
Baninated
Jul 1, 2003, 09:23 AM

Nope, not even when I leave.

Kilbey
Baninated
Jul 1, 2003, 09:52 AM

I have remote opertate locks and I only lock because I like the novelty of it.

I leave the keys to my car in the ignition when I am at work. I hate carrying keys in work.

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 1, 2003, 10:02 AM

Where I live you don't lock your front door you won't have one left next time you lock.

Whereas other parts of London have been desribed as 'up and coming' Bethnal Green has taken the ladder and flogged it down the market.

philzilla
Occasionally Useful
Jul 1, 2003, 10:06 AM

(meanwhile, the scouser takes notes on where all the unlocked doors are... *evil laugh*)
"Have sharp knives. Be creative. Cook to music" ~ maxelson

maxelson
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 1, 2003, 10:11 AM

I got three dogs of my own and occasionally puppysit the rottie next door, I live around the corner from the local constabulary, got nosey neighbors all round who know our schedules. Sometimes I do, sometimes I don't. I don't get freaked if I don't.

::emails pic of philzilla to dogs...*evil bark*::

I'm going to pull your head off because I don't like your head.

dampeoples
Mac Elite
Jul 1, 2003, 10:23 AM

Definately when we're sleeping, not that it does much good, it just gives me an extra second or two to hear if someone is trying to get inside. They can have my stuff, leave my kids alone. Or else.

maxelson
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 1, 2003, 10:35 AM

Dogs are one of the BEST anti intruder devices ever invented. Someone's in my yard and I know it. Unfortunately, if a friggin squirrel is in my yard I know it.

andi*pandi
Jul 1, 2003, 11:08 AM

Not when I'm home and it's daylight. This of course freaks out my motherinlaw, who feels more safe in the city then she does in the scary suburbs where people actually sit outside. When she comes over she wants to lock all the doors and pull the blinds. Sigh.

I lock at night though, and keep the basement locked, because I wouldn't hear what's going on there. It's nice to have freedom in your home, but not be overly optimistic.

Plus, there's a cop who lives down the block.

g. olson
Forum Regular
Jul 1, 2003, 11:21 AM

When my wife and I went on vacation several years ago, I couldn't find the key to the front door. It hadn't been locked in years. Normally, my six dogs provide all the protection one would need, but in this case we were leaving our house in care of the cats.

Gary Olson
Duluth, MN
"A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of small minds" - Emerson

maxelson
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 1, 2003, 11:22 AM

Criticism of cats: Cats. Don't. Care.

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 1, 2003, 11:25 AM

Originally posted by g. olson:
but in this case we were leaving our house in care of the cats.

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Jul 1, 2003, 11:26 AM

Yeah, I always lock the door. Even when I am at home.
I could take Sean Connery in a fight... I could definitely take him.

Demonhood
Administrator
Jul 1, 2003, 11:51 AM

always.

and sometimes i tie a string to the door. you know, a string attached to the trigger on a crossbow. i just have to remember to open the door myself, and not let friends, significant others, pizza delivery men, etc.. do it themselves. because damn, lawsuits are expensive.

wdlove
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 1, 2003, 11:57 AM

Always keep our front door locked, feel safer even though we live in a safe neighborhood. The back door is unlocked during the day only, it's always locked at bedtime and when leaving!

"Never give in, never give in, never, never, never, never - in nothing, great or small, large or petty - never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense." Winston Churchill

OldManMac
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 1, 2003, 11:59 AM

Always. Even when I'm home, the door is locked and the deadbolt is set. My housemate was asleep once in his Lazy Boy, by the front door, when he was awakened by a loud bang. I came home a few minutes later, and two burners were lit on the stove. We think that one of the neighbor boys was testing door locks, found ours unlocked, came in to snoop around, and for some reason lit the stove (hopefully not to do greater damage). My buddy is a heavy sleeper, so he wouldn't necessarily have heard him in the house. That was two years ago. Shortly after that, someone tried to twist the door knob off the front door with pliers. We had the locks changed, and have kept it locked ever since.
Why is there always money for war, but none for education?

dampeoples
Mac Elite
Jul 1, 2003, 12:33 PM

Originally posted by wdlove:
Always keep our front door locked, feel safer even though we live in a safe neighborhood. The back door is unlocked during the day only, it's always locked at bedtime and when leaving!
Nobody lives in a safe neighborood.

Zimphire
Baninated
Jul 1, 2003, 12:34 PM

Originally posted by maxelson:
Dogs are one of the BEST anti intruder devices ever invented. Someone's in my yard and I know it. Unfortunately, if a friggin squirrel is in my yard I know it.
Or if a leaf blows across the yard..

Zimphire
Baninated
Jul 1, 2003, 12:36 PM

Originally posted by dampeoples:
I would argue that. Mine is pretty darn safe. You could probably walk down the main street here naked in the middle of the night. You'd probably get harassed by cops, but you wouldn't get harmed.

Not from experience or anything.

dampeoples
Mac Elite
Jul 1, 2003, 12:47 PM

Originally posted by Zimphire:
I would argue that. Mine is pretty darn safe. You could probably walk down the main street here naked in the middle of the night. You'd probably get harassed by cops, but you wouldn't get harmed.

Not from experience or anything.
Yeah, but criminals have cars and bus passes, etc. No need to push your luck.

dencamp
Senior User
Jul 1, 2003, 12:48 PM

Always and every place I've lived.

On the mammal-as-means-of-protection discussion, about six years ago when I lived in Chicago someone broke into my apartment on Thanksgiving. I got home, called the cops and about an hour later a wonderful example of Chicago's finest stands at my door. He comes in, asks a few questions, glances down at my cat, glances at me, glances at the cat...long pause..."son, that's a pretty ineffectual means of protection, don't you think?"

Sometimes I miss that magical city...

Two steps forward (six steps back)

maxelson
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 1, 2003, 12:58 PM

Originally posted by Zimphire:
Or if a leaf blows across the yard..
You know my dog.

maxelson
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 1, 2003, 01:02 PM

Yeah, but criminals have cars and bus passes, etc. No need to push your luck.
Criminals are basically lazy creatures. They tend to stick to victimizing what is reasonably close to them.

I'd also argue that while NO ONE is GUARENTEED 100% safe, there places that can be qualified as a lot safer than others.

My neighborhood is pretty damned safe. ONe of the resons we bought there.

The neighborhood I lived in in NYC was comparitively safe (and the 91st Precinct LOVED to advertise the fact that they had every other precinct beat out by at least half).

Degrees.

maxelson
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 1, 2003, 01:03 PM

Originally posted by dencamp:

On the mammal-as-means-of-protection discussion, about six years ago when I lived in Chicago someone broke into my apartment on Thanksgiving. I got home, called the cops and about an hour later a wonderful example of Chicago's finest stands at my door. He comes in, asks a few questions, glances down at my cat, glances at me, glances at the cat...long pause..."son, that's a pretty ineffectual means of protection, don't you think?"

Proof. Case in Point. Cats don't care.

IUJHJSDHE
Mac Elite
Jul 1, 2003, 01:10 PM

Originally posted by dencamp:

I thought it was a dog-as-means-of-protection discussion, who said anything about cats?

And like the other guy said, cats will almost never defend you or your apartment.

From what I have seen most of the time cats will don't defend unless they feel they feel directly threatend.

Very very true.

I lock my doors all the time, when I am home, when I goto sleep, all the time. I am simply just used to locking the door after I use it.
( Last edited by IUJHJSDHE; Jul 1, 2003 at 01:17 PM. )

dencamp
Senior User
Jul 1, 2003, 01:13 PM

I maintain that cats use their allergy-inducing dander to threaten intruders with the distant possibility that they may collapse due to anaphylactic shock. Devilishly clever little buggers.

Two steps forward (six steps back)

mixin visuals  (op)
Mac Elite
Jul 1, 2003, 03:36 PM

i live in a safe neighborhood

Cellery
Mac Elite
Jul 1, 2003, 04:36 PM

Only one door to my place, and it's always locked due to the drunken college students stumbling around in the hallway every weekend (sometimes weekdays too) looking to make some trouble.

Mac Zealot
Professional Poster
Jul 1, 2003, 05:08 PM

Always.. not that it really would do much good.

I guess you could just say for insurance purposes. If I don't have a sword or knife under my bed I have something nearby
In a realm beyond site, the sky shines gold, not blue, there the Triforce's might makes mortal dreams come true.

ThinkInsane
Moderator Emeritus
Jul 1, 2003, 05:45 PM

Originally posted by philzilla:
(meanwhile, the scouser takes notes on where all the unlocked doors are... *evil laugh*)
I don't lock mine, and if I remember correctly, a search of the archive will turn up directions to my house.

Actually, the only time I ever had my house broken into, they came in the window, which seems kind of foolish since the front and back doors were unlocked. Idjits.
Nemo me impune lacesset

kmkkid
Professional Poster
Jul 1, 2003, 05:48 PM

Hmmm I have always locked the door when I go out, and when I'm sleeping. Not usually when I'm home, but now I have an auto lock door, so all's well.

I hate thieves. Someone stole a bike right from my balcony a week ago, and the worst part is, there is a security light and it would be basically dusk out all night long. Someone had some balls. I was sleeping just 10 feet away on the couch too. Oh and they even cut, and stole the lock.

Chris

Mac Elite
Jul 1, 2003, 06:07 PM

Criticism of cats: Cats. Don't. Care.
haha... yup

well, sort of

knowing my cats, and how they like strangers, they would probably come up to a crook and beg for a chin scratch, or belly rub.

Mac Zealot
Professional Poster
Jul 1, 2003, 09:10 PM

*shrug* keep a sword around? It's still not as good as a gun but can be a hell of a lot more intimidating
In a realm beyond site, the sky shines gold, not blue, there the Triforce's might makes mortal dreams come true.

MisterX
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 1, 2003, 10:18 PM

Alwayss!

Its Better To Burn Out than fade away

malvolio
Professional Poster
Jul 1, 2003, 10:47 PM

Sure they care. About themselves.

I always lock. My parents, who live in a rural setting, don't.
I used to live in the city of Albany, NY, which has a higher crime rate in recent years than New York City. I was on the second floor of a converted former one-family house. The first floor tenant was the retired director of security for a local bank. He had a licensed handgun, and three sons on the city police force. I felt reasonably secure.
/mal
"I sentence you to be hanged by the neck until you cheer up."
MacBook Pro 15" w/ Mac OS 10.8.2, iPhone 4S & iPad 4th-gen. w/ iOS 6.1.2

Face Ache
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 1, 2003, 11:15 PM

Originally posted by Mac Zealot:
*shrug* keep a sword around? It's still not as good as a gun but can be a hell of a lot more intimidating
You can't swing a sword (or a baseball bat) in a hallway.

Lock your doors and windows people. Even a gun won't save you if you don't hear them come in.

Mac Zealot
Professional Poster
Jul 2, 2003, 12:16 AM

actually you can ^_^ unless it's a 4' long one like the one I like to keep laying around...

but there are other ways to use it sending it straight at them.. throwing it (which is 50/50), swinging it over the head, etc.)

Forum Links
Forum Rules