Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Pot Illegal in Canada once again :(

Pot Illegal in Canada once again :( (Page 2)
g. olson
Forum Regular
Dec 26, 2003, 09:13 PM

Originally posted by mathew_m:
I figured you say that. Are you going to buy it for them too? You're canadian so I don't expect a rationale response.

Even Ozzy Osbourne tries to convince his kids that drugs are bad and he's living proof.
Ozzy Osbourne has tardive dyskenisia, a side effect from the anti-psychotics he has taken, not the illegal drugs. Crazy people take drugs too, but the drugs didn't make them crazy. You, my friend, are just ignorant and there is no drug to treat that!
"A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of small minds" - Emerson

hyteckit
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 26, 2003, 10:24 PM

Legalize Pot. Outlaw Alcohol and Guns.

mathew_m
Senior User
Dec 26, 2003, 10:49 PM

Originally posted by g. olson:
Ozzy Osbourne has tardive dyskenisia, a side effect from the anti-psychotics he has taken, not the illegal drugs. Crazy people take drugs too, but the drugs didn't make them crazy. You, my friend, are just ignorant and there is no drug to treat that!
So why was Ozzy taking the anti-psychotics in the first place?

Ignorance is treatable, it's called knowledge.

Zimphire
Baninated
Dec 27, 2003, 10:36 AM

Originally posted by kmkkid:
I honestly wouldnt care if my kids smoked pot. It's part of growing up.

Chris
Since when?

maxelson
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 27, 2003, 02:12 PM

I agree that Rush should finally have some humility regarding his current situation and drug abuse in general.

Regardless it is "you people" who wish to make an him example for no other reason than you disagree with his opinion....and that you fear him.
Keep telling yourself that, Mattie. Not that you'll believe it, but "wee people" keep harping on it because of the hypocrisy.
Fear Rush? Oh, jeez. About as much as you fear Al Franken. I mean, you DON'T, do you?
We save our fear for the real people in power who would abuse it- left or right.

Thing is I am pointing out is this, Matt: you are making just as many generalizations. Just as many foul implications. It was OK for Rush to condemn and condemn and moralize BEFORTE we knew of his issue. NOW, well, after he has spent YEARS blathering on about "bleedinghearts" who would rather treat the cause than the crime... well, now, the shoe is most solidly on the other foot and STILL he cries "victim". As if I expected he might learn from his situation? Well, if it were someone else he'd be discussing, he'd say "CRIMINALS GO TO JAIL. Drug abusers should be in jail. Trafficking is a two way street- buyers and sellers go to jail".
Well, now. I haven't seen him turning himself in. Nope. I've only seen him crying victim. ANd it is sickening. And if you had any integrity, you'd say the same because there IS no excuse for his current path of slamfest. He is having PRECISELY the same tactic her loves so much turned right back on him. And he cries VICTIM.
Poor put upon Rush.
It ain't a partisan thing. It's a hypocrisy thing.

And my Christmas was very nice, thanks for asking.

And I love your comment on ignorance. Honestly. Is that a partisan thing too?

Now back to the vast majority of pot smokers and drinkers who are productive members of society... you never commented on that. You merely generalized.

I'm going to pull your head off because I don't like your head.

TheMosco
Mac Elite
Dec 27, 2003, 02:27 PM

Originally posted by Zimphire:
Since when?

I go to a prep school with alot of kids with money and can say that its been like that through my 4 years of high school. We had this problem earlier in the year with pot. Some kid got caught and ratted like 20 kids out or something like that in the sophomore class. The thing is, 20 kids are only a fraction of the kids that smoke in that class. In my class, i would say most kids do. And considering maybe 40 percent of my class is in National Honor Society it wouldn't seem like it effect them that much.

mathew_m
Senior User
Dec 27, 2003, 03:04 PM

Originally posted by maxelson:
Keep telling yourself that, Mattie.
I don't need to.

I agree with you on principle the Rush situation though in your crazed stupor you failed to acknowledge it. Rush knows it to.
What I don't get it is the vehemence against him. You can pick on him, belittle him for his hypocrisy but...

'You people' want to lock him away, take away his soap box so he won't be a thorn in your side . 'You people' won't admit to this because you're open minded and such
However your anger gives you away.

By the way 'you people' is about as ugly generalization as it gets Maxie.

mathew_m
Senior User
Dec 27, 2003, 03:20 PM

What I am tired of are victims.

Why are drug abusers victims? They injest the drugs themselves. This isn't A Clockwork Orange, we are not tying them down and forcing them.

I don't get the people who say that certain drugs should be legal but then cry victim when the substance abusers turn into menaces to society.

In regards to Rush. He isn't suddenly parading around saying that drugs should be legal: That would be hypocrisy.
And no, if you actually listened to Rush you would know that he doesn't consider himself a victim for the reasons you are pointing out.

Let's get this hypocrisy thing straight.

However, if Rush were an African American (or better yet, Native American) talk radio jock who blathered left wing propaganda many of the same people who are attempting to lock him away now would be crying victim.

You're wrong, it is a partisan issue. And people from both sides abuse the laws to strengthen their position.

AKcrab
Moderator Emeritus
Dec 27, 2003, 05:29 PM

What does Rush have to do with pot in Canada?

TheMosco
Mac Elite
Dec 27, 2003, 06:30 PM

In regards to Rush. He isn't suddenly parading around saying that drugs should be legal: That would be hypocrisy.
What? Sorry to go off the thread topic even more but that doesn't make sense. He said drug users are bad and then let himself become one. Thats being a hypocrite. He said one thing and then did another. You are saying that if he went around saying that drugs should be legal that would be hypocrisy, but its not, that would be him changing his mind.

mathew_m
Senior User
Dec 27, 2003, 07:02 PM

Originally posted by TheMosco:
What? Sorry to go off the thread topic even more but that doesn't make sense. He said drug users are bad and then let himself become one. Thats being a hypocrite. He said one thing and then did another. You are saying that if he went around saying that drugs should be legal that would be hypocrisy, but its not, that would be him changing his mind.
As far as the story goes with Rush: the man had back surgery and started taking prescribed pain pills. Not a criminal act. Like a lot of people he became addicted. I don't know when it becomes a criminal act to take a prescribed painkiller. I suppose it happens when you no loger are in pain. That's a bit fuzzy to decide upon if you ask me but I'm just being rational.

Rush's hypocrisy if you want to call it that is differentiating his substance abuse from that of an abuser of heroin. And he may have very well changed his tune since then. Nothing wrong with that. However the drugs he took were ones of a legal nature...in the beginning. They were also drugs required often for someone to cope with the physical suffering of an operation.

I'm attempting to not be absolute here.

I suppose you can look at it from several different points of view. Just like the topic at hand.

In the end I think Rush's enemies are attempting to lock the man away so he is no longer a thorn in their side.

Now back to why pot is not legalized yet in Canada if anyone actually has anything to add.

TheMosco
Mac Elite
Dec 27, 2003, 07:09 PM

Originally posted by kmkkid:
*smoking* pot is a victemless crime. Ok like other's have pointed out, smoking and driving may kill people, but how many cases of weed related killings have you heard about recently? None? I thought so.

Chris
None? Do some research... Studies in washington state show that 1/4 of those fatally injured while driving were on some type of drug(not alcohol). Studies in TN found that 60 percent of people found driving recklessly were on pot or cocaine. Studies in the UK are just as bad.

I know alot of kids my age that drive perfectly fine well high. I was kinda suprised when i had originally saw the TN numbers because it generally perceived that people can drive fine well high but that people's reaction time suffered. But just because you don't hear about it, doesn't mean that it doesn't happen alot.

This debate is really tough to win on either side, yes there are alot of pot related driving deaths but there are even more alcohol related deaths and alcohol is legal. Does that mean that alchol should be illegal or pot legal? I don't know, but argueing is fun.

TheMosco
Mac Elite
Dec 27, 2003, 07:17 PM

As far as the story goes with Rush: the man had back surgery and started taking prescribed pain pills. Not a criminal act. Like a lot of people he became addicted. I don't know when it becomes a criminal act to take a prescribed painkiller. I suppose it happens when you no loger are in pain. That's a bit fuzzy to decide upon if you ask me but I'm just being rational.

Rush's hypocrisy if you want to call it that is differentiating his substance abuse from that of an abuser of heroin. And he may have very well changed his tune since then. Nothing wrong with that. However the drugs he took were ones of a legal nature...in the beginning. They were also drugs required often for someone to cope with the physical suffering of an operation.
In the end I think Rush's enemies are attempting to lock the man away so he is no longer a thorn in their side.

Now back to why pot is not legalized yet in Canada if anyone actually has anything to add.
I would hate to prove you wrong again but his drug addiction had very little to do with his back problem.

"I took the drugs because I liked them and I found excuses to take them..."

While i commend him for coming forward with his problem, even he admitted that he took them because he liked them, not becuase he needed them. And yes, prescribed meds are not illegal, but finding other ways to get them when you need more than the doctor's prescription can give you is. If i need to prove you wrong again or you need to prove me wrong, we should probably start to use im to not mess with the topic any further.

Bluebomber21XX
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 27, 2003, 09:48 PM

Originally posted by sideus:
You don't have the right to mind altering chemicals.
Okay, gotta call BS on that. Pot is a plant, not a chemical. Thanks!

It grows naturally. Like a tree. Or a weed. Same goes for mushrooms and cactii.
The online resource for Rockman & Forte!
http://www.bluebomber.com/

Zimphire
Baninated
Dec 27, 2003, 11:06 PM

I go to a prep school with alot of kids with money and can say that its been like that through my 4 years of high school. We had this problem earlier in the year with pot. Some kid got caught and ratted like 20 kids out or something like that in the sophomore class. The thing is, 20 kids are only a fraction of the kids that smoke in that class. In my class, i would say most kids do. And considering maybe 40 percent of my class is in National Honor Society it wouldn't seem like it effect them that much.
Society must really suck where you live.
Originally posted by Bluebomber21XX:

And heroin and cocaine too.

TheMosco
Mac Elite
Dec 27, 2003, 11:50 PM

Originally posted by Zimphire:
Society must really suck where you live.

And heroin and cocaine too.
not really, northeastern Mass. A private catholic prep school where there are basically no cliques whatsoever and no one gets in fights, everyone in my class will be going to college, people actually congradulate smart peers and all of us have futures....

I really couldn't ask for a better environment.

But i think i read like 50 percent of teens have atleast smoked once. Seems like more than that to me, but maybe its just the environment I live in. I personally don't smoke or really drink much for that matter but alot of kids i know do.

TheMosco
Mac Elite
Dec 27, 2003, 11:54 PM

Originally posted by Bluebomber21XX:

but THC is a chemical compound and i think it can be made synthetically also but not so sure about that.

mathew_m
Senior User
Dec 28, 2003, 01:33 AM

I would hate to prove you wrong again but his drug addiction had very little to do with his back problem.

"I took the drugs because I liked them and I found excuses to take them..."
Nothing to prove wrong here.

He's just admitting his addiction. This is one step of his rehibilitation.

My point is that hopefully Rush has learned humility through this ordeal and understands the nature of addiction. Perhaps he'll even come to the conclusion that addicts are not criminals.

See we agree.

What we don't exactly agree upon is the legality of certain drugs. I've made my point on that matter pretty clear.

Forum Links
Forum Rules