Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Is this irony or coinicidence?

Is this irony or coinicidence?
mac-at-kearsarge
Mac Elite
Jan 31, 2004, 05:00 PM

While browsing the Concord Monitor newpaper online to day, I came a across this article:

CONCORD, N.H. - New Hampshire International Speedway Owner Bob Bahre was seriously injured in a car accident Thursday night when his car went off the road FULL STORY HERE: http://www.concordmonitor.com/storie...nt013104.shtml

Now is this just something of local intrest or is it irony (Or does it only become ironic if the cause of the accident was speeding?)
iGeek

OSX Abuser
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 1, 2004, 02:01 PM

Ironic, but only of interst to locals and NASCAR fans.

I heard Alex trebic got his truck airborn when he fell
asleep behind the wheel.
Reality is the playground of the unimaginative

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Feb 1, 2004, 02:32 PM

Can't a coincidence be ironic?

Jaey
Mac Elite
Feb 1, 2004, 02:45 PM

I think so.

g. olson
Forum Regular
Feb 2, 2004, 12:30 AM

It's not exactly ironic, but there was a young woman in my area that was driving home in the wee hours of the morning. On the only hill within miles, she lost control of her car, rolled down the hill and landed upside down on a railroad track. Her car then started on fire and, guess what, it was then hit by a train. That makes a total of three different ways you can die in one accident. She did, by the way.
"A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of small minds" - Emerson

AuPhalanx
Forum Regular
Feb 2, 2004, 01:31 AM

Coincidence. Something is ironic only when there are unintended consequences. For example, a man buys a gun in order to protect his family, but mistakenly shoots his son because he thinks that his son is an intruder. Another example is if a man dies in a train wreck because he was afraid of dying in a plane accident. Thus, the news story is only coincidental, not ironic. I hope this helps.

Have fun... Tony.

Originally posted by mac-at-kearsarge:
While browsing the Concord Monitor newpaper online to day, I came a across this article:

CONCORD, N.H. - New Hampshire International Speedway Owner Bob Bahre was seriously injured in a car accident Thursday night when his car went off the road FULL STORY HERE: http://www.concordmonitor.com/storie...nt013104.shtml

Now is this just something of local intrest or is it irony (Or does it only become ironic if the cause of the accident was speeding?)

Rev-O
Mac Elite
Feb 2, 2004, 02:52 AM

Originally posted by OSX Abuser:
Ironic, but only of interst to locals and NASCAR fans.

I heard Alex trebic got his truck airborn when he fell
asleep behind the wheel.
Can't award you the dollar amount, because you forgot to phrase it as a question.

The answer is: "His truck achieves liftoff."
and the question is: "What happens when Alex Trebic takes a nap while driving?"

Curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal!

Forum Links
Forum Rules