Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > I Have Concerns

I Have Concerns
Norse
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 31, 2006, 07:51 PM

I have some concerns about the new Macbook that I would love to have debunked, addressed or eliminated.

First a little background. I will be a college freshman in the fall, reporting to a rural foreign school. I am currently trying to buy an appropriate laptop for my circumstances so I don’t end up relying on a legal pad for all of college. I have never used an Apple before but have the highest regard for the brand and its products. I am leaving for school on the 20th of July.

I am considering either the Macbook or a Dell Latitude. I really would rather have the Macbook but I am concerned about some technical issues.

First, can anyone comment on how helpful Apple’s support system is abroad? If I am in the UK will I fare alright if I encounter a serious problem?

And speaking of serious problems what do you all think about this random shut off problem that has been plaguing a small minority of Macbook users. I recognize that it is a small problem and that I did read about it on a forum dedicated to help issues (http://discussions.apple.com/thread....0008&tstart=15) but what concerns me is how I will do asking for help from a remote location. I am also put off by Apple closing topics that deal with the issue on the support forum.

Finally, build quality. Can this notebook take a beating? Whats your personal take?

Please don’t get angry at me or see this post as a routine-attack-on-apple sort of situations. I am a prospective buyer and want to make the right decision and having these points addressed will help me make that decision. Thankyou for your time.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Jul 31, 2006, 09:01 PM

There are 6 Apple Stores in the UK where you could seek service. Two in London, and one in Kent, Birmingham, Manchester, and Sheffield. Support would be fine there.

The random shut off problem is in a VERY small minority of MacBooks. If you do have a problem with it, Apple will replace your MacBook. It happened to a friend of mine, and they even upgraded his MacBook for free because of his troubles.

MacBooks, if they are at all like their predecessors, can take a serious beating. They're built as an ultra-portable laptop. Beat it with a rotten salmon, if you wish.

Don't apologize for having concerns. $1,000+ is a lot of money for all of us here. I can give you the highest recommendations based upon the experiences of my friends who have bought MacBooks. I have confidence you would grow accustomed to a Mac and love it as much as I do.

g. olson
Forum Regular
Jul 31, 2006, 11:17 PM

I was really debating whether or not to get a new Macbook to replace my trusty iBook. I was concerned about some of the problems reported on various sites. Honestly, I've been using Macs since 1985 and have never had to have one serviced - by anyone! My iBook was pulled off a table by a cat onto a hard floor while it was in use. The cat broke one of the keys, which I replaced myself. Other than that, there was no damage.

The new Macbook I got several weeks ago is a wonderful little machine. The "heat problem" that so many complained about is not a problem. It is a little bit warmer than my old iBook, but not terribly so. I got the black Macbook and am totally satisfied with my purchase. The slight glare from the glossy screen, which is reduced by some kind of coating, is easily offset by the brightness of the screen.

I can't personally comment on the overseas issues, but an employee of mine has traveled all over the world with his Powerbook and never reported any difficulty anywhere. Good luck with your decision. I have never led anyone astray by suggesting they buy a Mac.
"A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of small minds" - Emerson

Forum Links
Forum Rules