Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > hybrid drive: work w 10.6.8 on a macpro ?

hybrid drive: work w 10.6.8 on a macpro ?
rotuts
Mac Elite
Apr 21, 2014, 11:39 AM

would a hybrid drive work on a MacPro ( original ) running 10.6.8

that i can use as a boot drive?

or are they only supported by newer computers and newer OS?

many thanks
MacPro 2.66 dual 3GB RAM 1.5 TB HD's
24" + 21" Samsung flat panels
Miglia mini HD (Great!)

P
Apr 21, 2014, 01:34 PM

Depends on what you mean.

* If you mean a Fusion drive, it will not work - that requires 10.8 at least.
* If you mean a SSHD hybrid drive such as they are sold by Seagate et al, then that depends. The basic versions that combine a small flash cache (4GB or 8GB) with bigger spinning disk will work, but the gain is not going to be as large as you might think. Those things are great when what you're replacing is a slow 2.5" laptop drive, but you're comparing with a 3.5" disk. Probably the newest 3.5" hybrid drives are faster, but I would not expect a massive boost. It is not going to be anything like getting a new SSD.
* If you mean one of those that are really a complete SSD (120GB or so) in the same package as an HDD, which you would then need to administer yourself at the OS level, then no, they do not work. They need special drivers that only exist for Windows.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

donaldkepler
May 14, 2014, 05:06 AM

Yes....I agree
Upgrading Macbook Pro with Hybrid Drive usually increase the Mac speed instantly against regular drive and boost the booting time and applications launching time.

akent35
Banned
May 14, 2014, 12:02 PM

What's even better is what I did with my MacMini. I replaced the slow 5400 rpm 1 TB 2.5" drive with a 256 gig Samsung 840, Pro SSD, and the difference is staggering! (I did not want, nor need, a Fusion Drive setup). No more waiting forever for the machine to boot, and for applications to run. The SSD definitely satisfied my "need for speed"!

I also placed the 5400 rpm drive in a nice, slim external case, with a USB 2.0 connection, and that works out rather well. In fact, for both our trips to London in December and to Florida in late January (subsequently went on a cruise), both my wife and I were able to watch our videos on my 13" MacBook Air (which also has a 256 gig SSD) by just connecting the external drive. We'll do the same thing when we travel to Reykjavik in late July.
( Last edited by akent35; May 14, 2014 at 12:20 PM. )

Forum Links
Forum Rules