Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Finder is non responsive

Finder is non responsive
mindwaves
Jun 14, 2015, 04:46 PM

MacBook Pro retina 2012, 8GB RAM, Yosemite, with plenty of disk space

Just watching a YouTube video (no Flash installed) when Mac looked up. Did a hard reboot. Finder is non responsive. Flashed NVRAM and nothing. Booted to Safe mode and Finder is the same.

Cursor can be moved and keyboard works around Finder but clicking anything using trackpad doesn't work (I can see the cursor moving). Used terminal in safe mode to repair permissions, and rebooted into normal mode. Still have the same issue.

Basically, everything seems to work except when using the trackpad and/or mouse. Keyboard use seems to work fine.

I have my Time Machine ready to go, but want an alternative solution.

mindwaves  (op)
Jun 14, 2015, 04:57 PM

Issue seems to have been resolved by itself strangely.

I found many instances of this in console.

6/14/15 1:51:28.934 PM acvpnagent[43]: Function: getInterfaces File: ../../vpn/Common/Utility/NetInterface_unix.cpp Line: 1277 missing PPP destination address for interface "utun1"

Perhaps this is the culprit? Seems kind of odd.

mindwaves  (op)
Jun 14, 2015, 05:11 PM

Originally Posted by mindwaves View Post
Issue seems to have been resolved by itself strangely.

I found many instances of this in console.

6/14/15 1:51:28.934 PM acvpnagent[43]: Function: getInterfaces File: ../../vpn/Common/Utility/NetInterface_unix.cpp Line: 1277 missing PPP destination address for interface "utun1"

Perhaps this is the culprit? Seems kind of odd.
Issue arose again after working perfectly fine for five minutes. Nothing connected to computer. On wifi network.

reader50
Administrator
Jun 14, 2015, 06:37 PM

Could be a hardware fault in the trackpad, such as a loose cable. Watching a YouTube video would just be what you were doing at the time of first failure. Try hardware test?

mindwaves  (op)
Jun 15, 2015, 11:13 AM

Originally Posted by reader50 View Post
Could be a hardware fault in the trackpad, such as a loose cable. Watching a YouTube video would just be what you were doing at the time of first failure. Try hardware test?
Not sure how to do hardware test without cd anymore. Shouldn't be trackpad issue as I can see the cursor moving and the trackpad clicking, but nothing works. Very similar issue to what happened to be six months ago, which I fixed using a reformat from time machine. However, I seem to have misplaced by thunderbolt to Ethernet adapter and will have to buy a new one now. They are so expensive!

mindwaves  (op)
Jun 15, 2015, 03:38 PM

Actually, seeing how my laptop has been fully functioning for the last several hours, I think I have solved the problem. The problem arose 1 hour before my plane departure, so I was packing my bags. I placed my Apple bluetooth mouse in my bag, I think, with it still on and I guess was forever in the on-click position due to the position in the bag.

After my arrival in the airport and unpacking my bags and the mouse, the laptop magically worked again!

Forum Links
Forum Rules