Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > Marketplace > 12" PowerBook FS - need advice

12" PowerBook FS - need advice
burdendds
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 8, 2008, 09:30 PM

I have a 12" PowerBook sitting in its original box in my closet. I'm thinking that I'm probably not going to be using it anytime soon :-/

I haven't followed the used mac market and therefore I have no idea what I should ask for it. I've seen them for sale ranging from $400 to $900+. Can someone give me an idea of what it might be worth? I'm not looking to screw anyone over.. just a fair price for both parties...

Specs:
12" "Rev. C", 1.33GHz
1.25GB RAM
80GB HD
Super Drive
Original Box, manuals and cables
RadTech custom sleeve
like new condition (seriously babied)

Professional Poster
Mar 8, 2008, 10:17 PM

12" PowerBooks have done well. I'd say go for $700 for this thing, but be flexible.

bearcatrp
Senior User
Mar 9, 2008, 12:05 AM

I sold mine with the same specs here last year and got 450 for it. I regret it since apple doesn't make a 12 inch anymore. Best portable ever. I'll offer 450 for it. Would like some pics of it. PM me if interested. Where are you located?
( Last edited by bearcatrp; Mar 9, 2008 at 12:16 AM. Reason: adjusted price)
2010 Mac Mini, 32GB iPod Touch, 2 Apple TV (1)
Home built 12 core 2.93 Westmere PC (almost half the cost of MP) Win7 64.

Cletus989
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 9, 2008, 12:56 AM

post pics

longwood
Mar 9, 2008, 02:10 AM

according to mac2sell.net it's worth about $580. i think they are a little high, probably $450-$525 is more reasonable.
iPhone 4: [32GB]
iPad 2: [16GB | WiFi]
MacBook: [13" | 2.4Ghz | 4GB | 500GB]

Scotttheking
Moderator Emeritus
Mar 9, 2008, 04:19 AM

There are 3 for sale on the first page alone. Please use previous posts on prices and what they sell for to research how much to ask.
My website
Help me pay for college. Click for more info.

sledsbehave
Senior User
Mar 9, 2008, 12:35 PM

i'd say go for $800, these things are in slight demand, considering their size. the lack of a 12" option in the current mac line up, makes them desirable to those that want a 12" size.
as ever,
sonny

burdendds  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 9, 2008, 05:16 PM

Heh... This is exactly the point of my post. Sorry to the mods for asking for advice here, but as you can see it isn't exactly easy to pic a price point. Also, I forgot to mention that there is an extra battery as well.

I'll try to include images with this message - hopefully I don't screw it up too bad. I can email higher res images to anyone that requests them.

burdendds  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 9, 2008, 05:19 PM

More images of box contents:

audvidsvs
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 9, 2008, 05:30 PM

I just sold one last week and I would say if you are looking for the most money from a sale,this is not your best place to list it.

The people here are looking for a better deal and are a lot more aggressive about it than if you list it elsewhere.

I know as I am also that way.
I would buy here but sell on Craigslist.
It is a hassle too but if you list it right and then only deal with those serious enough to give a phone number up front,I have found it to work OK.

I know one thing.......You need to post a price here whether you feel good about it or not,its in the rules.

good luck

burdendds  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 9, 2008, 07:14 PM

Thanks for the advice. I just want a smooth transaction and a fair price for both sides. I've never tried Craigslist as I rarely sell any of my stuff (usually give away to family members and friends). I'll look into that.

I'm thinking that $600 shipped is a fair price given all of the info posted.

Thanks for all the help everyone.

kalex
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 9, 2008, 08:38 PM

I think $600 is ok price. I was in a market for one for about 2 months and prices for these things are ridiculous but they seem to sell like hot cakes. It seems that latest revisions go for high dollar, yours is a 1.33 version but condition is very good. I would say yours is worth between $500 - $650 depending where you are going to sell.

Here is what i found out:
Highest price - you are going to get on eBay. but remember you are going to pay Ebay tax and paypal tax which is not that small. if you sell on eBay, you will be hit with about $40-$50 in fees just for listing and using paypal. then you will have to ship it.

Craigslist - I'm in NY and craigslist here is pretty screwed up. A lot of garbage to filter through. People selling and buying don't have any customer service skills. they lie to your face. Best one for me is when they come over to meet you and start haggling the price after its been set via email or phone call. Also I prefer dealing with people on forums over CL. CL takes a lot of patience in both buying and selling. I have been looking for Macbook for a while and it has been an adventure. People ask more money for their macbooks even though apple sells them for a lot less. they lie to you and when you point out their mistakes or tell them that you can get refurb cheaper, they get defensive, start cursing at you and basically tell you that refurbs are full of problems, blah blah and that theirs is perfect unit.

Forums - are easiest ones and take least amount of effort to both sell and buy. the only problem with the forums is you have to be ready to sell for less than ebay and craigslist. everybody here knows what they are looking for, how much macbooks are worth and they are looking for deals. I'm sure that everyone here wouldn't be buying and selling if they wanted to get highest exposure and highest price. but overall i have noticed that its pretty easy to deal with each other on these forums. Some people buy here and then resell on craigslist.

hope this helps.

Alex

dotdigital
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 11, 2008, 09:46 PM

I d like to buy your Powerbook 12". I am located in NY but can easily send you Paypal, etc... Would you be interested in selling it? You can reach me directly at my email address [email protected]- Please give me a hollar and let me know- unit looks nice and that is what i am looking to buy!-
Paul.

Originally Posted by burdendds View Post
I have a 12" PowerBook sitting in its original box in my closet. I'm thinking that I'm probably not going to be using it anytime soon :-/

I haven't followed the used mac market and therefore I have no idea what I should ask for it. I've seen them for sale ranging from $400 to $900+. Can someone give me an idea of what it might be worth? I'm not looking to screw anyone over.. just a fair price for both parties...

Specs:
12" "Rev. C", 1.33GHz
1.25GB RAM
80GB HD
Super Drive
Original Box, manuals and cables
RadTech custom sleeve
like new condition (seriously babied)

msskurvy13
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 12, 2008, 12:40 AM

PLEASE EMAIL ME!!! I want it, seriously! I have been looking for one! I'm looking to replace my macbook for something smaller, plus use a desktop at home. I think the air won't fit my needs....
[email protected]
do you have a verified paypal? I have 100% feedback on my ebay, email me
KH
Ft Lauderdale, FL

burdendds  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 13, 2008, 07:20 AM

Sorry I missed your posts! I put it up on ebay and it sold in about 20 mins....

Thanks for all your help everyone.

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Mar 15, 2008, 11:13 PM

How much did you get for it? I recently sold a 12" PowerBook with these exact specifications, Redtech sleeve, extra battery and all (except that mine only had a 60GB hard disk). I got $609 + shipping, which was a bit less than I wanted, but enough.

Forum Links
Forum Rules