Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Switch from G4 iMac to iMac Intel

Switch from G4 iMac to iMac Intel
Dell Switcher
Forum Regular
Jan 27, 2009, 01:14 PM

My old G4 iMac 20 is being given to an relative and I need to transfer files, addresses, bookmarks, etc. to my iMac 24 intel. Both Macs have OSX 10.4.11.

What is best method to transfer data?

Also, how difficult to change the name who owns the iMac as well as the password?
Switcher and damn glad...with iMac and PB who would not be happy!

dowNNshift
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 27, 2009, 05:42 PM

Purchase an external hard drive, either USB2 or Firewire. Copy your data to that...

You can change the password easily using Accounts pane in System Preferences. This also updates your Keychain simultaneously. If privacy is a concern, you're best off erasing the drive by writing zeros over the entirety of the drive. This can be done using a Tiger or Leopard install disc in Disk Utility. Once complete you can reload the clean OS.

AKcrab
Moderator Emeritus
Jan 27, 2009, 08:54 PM

Just get a firewire cable and use the migration assistant. Much easier than an external drive...

Simon
Posting Junkie
Jan 28, 2009, 03:24 AM

You should actually do both.

• Get an external drive. Make a clone of the old iMac's HD to the new external drive. You want to have a backup once you wipe the iMac for your relative. Keep that backup around just in case.

• Connect the old iMac to the new iMac when Setup Assistant asks if you want to migrate data. Migrate documents and settings. You can also migrate apps, but some might still require a fresh install later on. Anyway, nothing lost in trying. And remember to check all your apps once you're done. If you have old PPC apps you will want to replace them with UBs or Intel versions.

Once that's done wipe the old iMac, IOW zero the disk. Install a fresh OS X. Quit the assistant when it asks for personal data. Then give it to your relative. When he/she boots it, it will launch the setup assistant again and allow him/her to personalize it.

Forum Links
Forum Rules