Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > PowerBook G4 Purchase Scam on Ebay

PowerBook G4 Purchase Scam on Ebay
Oh No!
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 11, 2003, 03:31 PM

3 months ago I have won a bid on eBay for a used PowerBook G4 667.
I have paid the guy, Dwayne White (From Chicago), through PayPal $1,260 (!!!) and never got the laptop or a refund!

First, he ignored all of my emails and after 3 weeks he wrote me a bull**** story about how he got robbed.
I called him a few times and he told me that he is broke and can't pay me at the moment (like i care!).
Now, he is not responding to any calls or emails at all.

Beware of that Dwayne White!!!
His email address: [email protected]
and he lives in Chicago.

PayPal did not helped a bit and i know they are holding some money of his.

I know about an other guy with exactly the same story with the same crook, but he got his money back from PayPal...

I have decided that i'm not going to let him get away with it!
Any suggestions???

Fyre4ce
Mac Elite
Feb 11, 2003, 03:40 PM

There was a thread in here a few months ago about a guy who was in a similar position. Do a search for it.
Fyre4ce

Let it burn.

Oh No!  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 11, 2003, 03:55 PM

But it's not the same guy.
No patern.

10x anyway!

def H H H
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 11, 2003, 04:13 PM

Well, that's the risk you take from buying **** online, and ESPECIALLY from eBay. Plenty of people have luck with it; but I will never ever buy anything from it. Plus, if it sounds too good to be true, then most likely it is.

Argh, um, I don't have any advice for you, except for calling your credit card company. Cause, I bought a Sony minidisc player and within a month it broke. I called up my credit card company and they filed a claim. Boom, got my money back. Now, my problem is nothing like yours. But hey, it's worth a shot. Sorry guy.

Oh No!  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 11, 2003, 04:41 PM

American Express decided that i have to pay...

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Feb 11, 2003, 05:05 PM

eBay is perfectly safe if you follow these rules for buying:

1) ONLY pay for items with Cashier's Checks from your bank.
2) NEVER make any compromises to rule 1, especially for "faster" and "more convenient" online payment services.
3) NEVER bid on an auction that only accepts PayPal. It's a gauranteed scam.
4) ALWAYS pay for insurance through the shipping courier.

Cashier's Checks from your bank are the safest and best way to handle transactions. Some banks require 90 days before they can refund the check, but hey, 90 days to get ALL your money back is way better than eternity with none of it.

A few rules when selling items:

1) Take any form of payment you are comfortable with where you get to verifty and confirm deposit before shipping. i.e. NO C.O.D. My suggestio is to NEVER use PayPal for anything.
2) Allow personal checks at least 8 working days (not including weekends) to be verified, and check with your bank on the status of the deposit on the 8th day before shipping.
3) ALWAYS ship insured through the courier.

If you follows those rules eBay is safe to use. Make NO exceptions to them or you will be screwed.

A few side notes on why you won't get your money back:

In a recent ruling, online payment services such as BillPoint, PayPal, and eScrow were found NOT reliable for the money they hold. They are not obligated to be FDIC insured because they are NOT banks.

Here's the main problem with that. Services like BillPoint, PayPal, and eScrow void any fraud protection on a credit card becuase they're an intermediary and not the seller. So if you have a Visa or American Express with the fraud protection, it no longer applies.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

def H H H
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 11, 2003, 05:31 PM

Well, all I can say is:

"Damn homie" - 50 Cent.

alex_kac
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 11, 2003, 05:56 PM

Originally posted by olePigeon:

2) NEVER make any compromises to rule 1, especially for "faster" and "more convenient" online payment services.
3) NEVER bid on an auction that only accepts PayPal. It's a gauranteed scam.

I only accept Pay Pal because of scams. I don't trust money orders (at least until after its cashed). I've done at least 20 eBay sales for equipment we no longer use and every one has gone through PayPal with no troubles.

MacGorilla
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 11, 2003, 06:10 PM

When I do an auction, I always accept paypay and money orders/cashier's checks. I never accept COD. never.
Power Macintosh Dual G4
SGI Indigo2 6.5.21f

Anomalous
Mac Elite
Feb 11, 2003, 08:01 PM

I agree that PayPal's customer service department is unhelpful (and practically nonexistent) when you need assistance, but I have used PayPal in several auctions that were not scams.

hayesk
Feb 11, 2003, 08:08 PM

Originally posted by olePigeon:

Cashier's Checks from your bank are the safest and best way to handle transactions. Some banks require 90 days before they can refund the check, but hey, 90 days to get ALL your money back is way better than eternity with none of it.
How does that stop the seller from cashing the cheque and shipping you a brick instead of the shiny new Powerbook you expected? Do the cheque's take 30 days to clear or something?

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Feb 11, 2003, 09:19 PM

Originally posted by hayesk:
How does that stop the seller from cashing the cheque and shipping you a brick instead of the shiny new Powerbook you expected? Do the cheque's take 30 days to clear or something?
When you take out a Cashiere's Cheque, it is no longer your money but a debt agreement between you and the Bank. When you send the Cashier's Cheque there is no time limit on stopping payment of the cheque, however, as with my bank there's a $25 fee.

If the cheque is already cashed, some banks require you to fill out a Fraud Investigation form. In that event your bank calls the recipient bank and check transactions. This may take 90 days or so, sometimes only a few weeks. Then the bank determines if you get your money back.

If this was a scam, most likely the guy opened an account for a few weeks, had 100 deposites, then closed it. Obviously, that's grounds for suspecting fraud and you'd get your money back. Or, the scammer's bank will give the scammer a call asking him to check his records if he recieved payment from you. If he says no, then you get your money back. If he says yes, the bank sends someone to your house to take a look at the product (or lack thereof). Then it goes to the courier who supposedly shipped the package, etc., etc.

The end result is that you eventually get your money back. And since it's the Bank's money and not yours anymore (as appose to a personal cheque) the Bank is more inclined on getting the money back rather than "just letting it go." (banks have credit records too.)
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

OptimusG4
Mac Elite
Feb 12, 2003, 12:20 AM

What about the sellers ratings? Did you check that before purchasing?
"Another classic science-fiction show cancelled before its time" ~ Bender

15.2" PowerBook 1.25GHz, 80GB HD, 768MB RAM, SuperDrive

wataru
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 12, 2003, 01:13 AM

Originally posted by OptimusG4:
What about the sellers ratings? Did you check that before purchasing?
This is a good point.

I'm selling my PowerBook G4 on eBay right now, and I just got an email from someone offering to buy it early. This email came from a hotmail account and his eBay account has 0 feedback and has only been open for a month.
Red flags? You betcha.

Forum Links
Forum Rules