Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > iMac, HD TV, or keep Mini?

iMac, HD TV, or keep Mini?
jfandem
Nov 27, 2005, 03:41 AM

I currently have a mac mini, 1.42ghz, 256mb ram, and 80gb HD. Right now im using it with a crap crt really old 15'' monitor. I just got hi speed cable internet and now i notice the computer itself seemed to slow down. I was going to upgrade the memory and buy tiger for it, but i am debating on other options too. I always have wanted the new iMac G5 with isight, and it comes with tiger....should i sell my mini and go for the imac? I also would like a new display for the mini if i kept it, but at the same time i have been thinking about buying a samsung LCD HD Tv, 32''. Should i keep the mini and use that as my monitor? Or is the 32mb vid memory no good? Also if i buy the memory, monitor, and tiger i spent money into it yet its still not a g5 and 128mb vid memory. What are some of my choices? What do you guys recommend? Thanks!

ApplCmptrDood
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 27, 2005, 05:30 AM

The mac mini can't handle that HD TV - The graphics card suxxors. I think you should get the iMac, it's the best of all your option.s
Apparently, I'm a sig violator. I feel honored. Oops.

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Nov 27, 2005, 10:59 AM

1. The Mac mini most certainly can handle connecting an HDTV, provided it has a DVI input. Everything will look huge on it, of course!

2. RAM is your problem. While the Mac mini isn't the fastest Mac in the world, it's more than fast enough for average use -- but not with 256MB of RAM hamstringing it. Upgrade to either 512MB or better 1GB. You will see a huge difference.

tooki

jfandem  (op)
Dec 1, 2005, 09:17 PM

Well i went and bought a 20'' iMac G5 2.1ghz. This thing is HUGE and awesome. But for some reason now I am wondering if i made the right decision. It costs 1700 and I couldve kept the mini, bought a LCD monitor, and upgraded the RAM to 1G, but it still wouldnt be as good as this iMac. Helluva lot cheaper though......only problems now are, id still have to buy tiger (although only 69$ student price) then decide on a monitor, and they want 170$ (10%) restocking fee at the apple store . What do you think is a better idea? I rarely play games , but i bought unreal 04 for the imac and its awesome btw, but i mostly use it for iphoto, itunes, and online browsing. Wish the 20'' apple display wasnt so much money! Any ideas?

drewcifer
Forum Regular
Dec 1, 2005, 10:25 PM

stick with the imac... the fact remains that it is just going to run quicker and better. Also it will last you a lot longer.

jfandem  (op)
Dec 1, 2005, 11:50 PM

Originally Posted by drewcifer
stick with the imac... the fact remains that it is just going to run quicker and better. Also it will last you a lot longer.
Why do you say its going to run quicker? quicker than what? the new intel ones? I still like the idea of 20'' ACD, mini, and option to get a powermac/new mini later down the road and still ahve the display.........ahhhhhh decisions decisions.

discotronic
Mac Elite
Dec 2, 2005, 12:20 AM

Originally Posted by jfandem
Why do you say its going to run quicker? quicker than what? the new intel ones? I still like the idea of 20'' ACD, mini, and option to get a powermac/new mini later down the road and still ahve the display.........ahhhhhh decisions decisions.
How could it not run faster? G4 vs G5, faster hard drive, graphics, FSB, and RAM.

It sounds like you don't do anything that would require an upgrade to a faster machine in the near future. Keep the iMac and sell the mini.

jfandem  (op)
Dec 2, 2005, 12:27 AM

Originally Posted by discotronic
How could it not run faster? G4 vs G5, faster hard drive, graphics, FSB, and RAM.

It sounds like you don't do anything that would require an upgrade to a faster machine in the near future. Keep the iMac and sell the mini.
I know the iMac is faster than the mini obviously, i asked him if he meant that the imac will run faster /better than the new intel ones. Ok, so if i dont do anything that requires a faster machine in the near future, why do i 'need' the faster imac over the mini with upgraded ram?

vinster
Senior User
Dec 2, 2005, 12:46 AM

Tough call for you jfandem. Personally, I'd stick with the mini and get a monitor and RAM. As you said, down the road you can upgrade to an intel Mac and use the mini as a media center/HTPC. Of course you'll probably have to eat the restocking fee, but you could always ask nicely if it's possible to do an exchange for a display and RAM without paying a penalty.

druber
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 6, 2005, 03:08 PM

Seems a little late to be doing the math. $170 is a hefty price to pay to find out that you want to buy more RAM for your mini. I'd rather upgrade the RAM on the mini and buy a monitor. (I just bought a mini to do what you're talking about.) But you're putting yourself up against the wall by buying yesterday and asking questions now.

Do the math. What would it actually cost to upgrade the mini and buy the monitor you want? What normal tasks would require the iMac's horsepower, that the mini couldn't handle? Do you want to use your computer monitor as a TV? Put it all down on paper. Make a decision and stick with it. If spending this much money is bugging on your conscience, take the iMac back and cut your losses. Upgrade your RAM, and then decide if/when you should upgrade your monitor.
Help find a cure for Malaria: crunch D2OL for Team Macnn.

jfandem  (op)
Dec 7, 2005, 02:19 AM

Well i went to the store today, and exchanged the iMac for apple 20'' cinema display! I talked them out of the restocking fee that way. Anyway, this display is awesome! I have a few questions though.
I just got hi speed internet a few weeks ago. Ever since then the OS itself would seem to be kinda slower to run/open things. IE opening itunes, swiching between apps, closing stuff was slow, etc. I DO ONLY have 256mb ram, but still, something seemed to change. Anyway, I reformatted when i thought i was going to sell it and it didnt seem to help TOO much, if any. Then i bought tiger today (69$student discount price) and installed it on the mini. Its definetly EVEN slower now than it was before. I hear people saying all the time that their mini was much more 'snappier' when tiger was installed. I have 1GB crucial RAM on the way, is that my problem? Or do i need that external HD everyone talks about? Thanks guys for all the suggestions, now I can upgrade to a tower in a few years or a intel mini or intel tower if/when they come out, and keep this nice display!

thanks

discotronic
Mac Elite
Dec 7, 2005, 11:05 AM

RAM is the problem. 256MB just isn't enough to run Tiger and any applications. Once you get the 1GB module put in, you should notice a hugh difference.

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Dec 7, 2005, 11:59 AM

Originally Posted by jfandem
I hear people saying all the time that their mini was much more 'snappier' when tiger was installed. I have 1GB crucial RAM on the way, is that my problem?
I told you before already that the 256MB of RAM is unquestionably the big bottleneck. You will see a very substantial speed increase when you install 1GB.

tooki

ben.mcguire
Dec 7, 2005, 12:36 PM

yes your ram is the problem, I had 256mb on an ibook G4 with tiger. SOOO slow, stuck a 1GB stick in and its great.

Forum Links
Forum Rules