Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Will Toast 7 burn music DVD's that will play in my car?

Will Toast 7 burn music DVD's that will play in my car?
critterdoc
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 16, 2006, 08:41 PM

I'm having a problem burning MP3 and AIFF DVDs which will play in the factory DVD player that is part of the navigation system in a '07 Tahoe. Regardless of whether I burn with Apple's desktop burner by dropping and dragging songs onto a newly named blank DVD, directly from iTunes, or with an older version of Toast Titanium 5, I end up with 'music' DVDs which will read and play on both of my Macs but not in the DVD player of the car. The player recognizes that the disk is a DVD but it also generates an error message that the format is not recognized. On the other hand, CDs that are burned from the desktop or with iTunes play perfectly in the car. The nav system's manual gives me little info other than to say that the player will play "music DVDs."

Roxio's website states that Toast 7 will burn "music DVDs" but one of their CS reps could not tell me much beyond that general claim. Is there any reason to think that "Roxio Music DVDs" might not work in the built-in car DVD player?

druber
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 18, 2006, 05:06 PM

Have you tried contacting Chevy? They're the ones who will know the specs on the unit. Your player may be able to handle MP3 CDs, but that doesn't mean it can take MP3 DVDs, even though that seems like the same kind of thing. It'd sure be nice to have 60 albums on one disc. Is there a reason you have tried burning a music DVD yet?
Help find a cure for Malaria: crunch D2OL for Team Macnn.

critterdoc  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 18, 2006, 08:33 PM

Originally Posted by druber
Have you tried contacting Chevy? They're the ones who will know the specs on the unit. Your player may be able to handle MP3 CDs, but that doesn't mean it can take MP3 DVDs, even though that seems like the same kind of thing. It'd sure be nice to have 60 albums on one disc. Is there a reason you have tried burning a music DVD yet?
Druber,

I don't understand what you mean when you say "Is there a reason you have tried burning a music DVD yet?" I have tried to burn songs to a handful of DVDs but none will play in the car, while all work fine on the Mac. The more I dig into this, the more questions I have about the structure and characteristics of data DVDs v. music DVD.

Whatever the case, I ordered Toast 7 yesterday and will see how it's "music DVD" function works in the GM Nav System player.

As for contacting Chevrolet, I'm still awaiting advice from my dealer on who to call at GM but I'm not holding my breath on that resource being readily available.

King Bob On The Cob
Mac Elite
Jul 18, 2006, 10:07 PM

Well, I'd be surprised if what your Tahoe can play is not just actually DVD-A (Audio) which is nearly uncompressed audio on a DVD. You may not be able to load a DVD up with MP3s.

But if you can, it's going to accept it in two formats. Either UFS (Which is what Video DVDs are written in) or ISO-9660, better known as the format PCs use to write to disks. It may not accept Mac + PC data disks.

druber
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 19, 2006, 11:20 AM

Double-ding: my "have" should have been "haven't", and I didn't understand that you hadn't been able to try burning a "music DVD". As an owner of Toast 7, I will say it's leaps beyond v5.

Have you tried contacting Chevy through their web site? Using their web form should yield some response; certainly something to try while you're waiting on the dealer.
Help find a cure for Malaria: crunch D2OL for Team Macnn.

Forum Links
Forum Rules