Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Art & Graphic Design > From VHS to my computer HOW?

From VHS to my computer HOW?
jorgem4
Mac Enthusiast
May 29, 2004, 11:02 AM

Hi,

My GF just got a ZR80 and the camara is really cool we both love it! I heard that the ZR family was able to transfer analogue video to digital video...basically that I could transfer a VHS tape to my hard drive and I guess view it as a quicktime movie.

I am digital video retarded (amature I guess)

Can anyone explain how to do this?

Thanks a lot.

Mark E
Dedicated MacNNer
May 29, 2004, 11:57 AM

have you read the manual? i'm sure that would explain it.

plus, it won't be importing as a quicktime movie, as such. you'll be importing into imovie, final cut, etc.

-Mark

in case of accidental ingestion, consult a mortician.

PacHead
Baninated
May 29, 2004, 02:58 PM

If it's importing into Imovie, FCP etc, i assume it will be DV format. Just make sure you have a HUGE harddrive.

bwood
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 29, 2004, 04:11 PM

Get a VCR w/ Yellow, Red, White analogue out and connect it to the camera and take the firewire out of the camera and connect it to the computer. You may have to go into the camera and select a different setting, something like DV Bridge or analogue to DV. Its different for all cameras so read ur manuel and find out. Then open the program that you are capturing into (prob imovie if you are new) Hit play on the VCR and it should start playing through the camera then hit import on imovie and it should capture whatever is coming through. I am not sure 100% if it will work because I have always used FCP.

Brian

Talk2Angus
Forum Regular
Jun 3, 2004, 02:59 AM

TALK2U Soon
Angus Pohl
Solutions Engineer
Durban
South Afica

misc
Jun 3, 2004, 03:31 PM

Do a search in the forum good bud.

"And after we are through, ten years in making it to be the most of glorious debuts."

jorgem4  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 3, 2004, 05:05 PM

Success!!!

Very easy....plug in the camara to the VCR....then form the camara to my PB via Firewire....open iMovie hit play on the VCR and import on iMovie..and ..presto!

The only problem now is that I have a 26 GB project for iMovie and I am currently trying to find a way to encoded to DivX/Xvid or something with a more manageble size. (DVD is not an option...no burner here)

So any ideas would be great on how to go from DV to DivX/Xvid or mp4.

Thanks.

JB72
Mac Elite
Jun 4, 2004, 12:57 AM

Originally posted by jorgem4:
The only problem now is that I have a 26 GB project for iMovie and I am currently trying to find a way to encoded to DivX/Xvid or something with a more manageble size. (DVD is not an option...no burner here)

So any ideas would be great on how to go from DV to DivX/Xvid or mp4.
You could take the edited piece back out to tape. Or export it to a compressed format if you just want to view it locally or via internet.

Forum Links
Forum Rules