Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > 200GB HDD + Enclosure for PC/Mac

200GB HDD + Enclosure for PC/Mac
TimothyJay
Dec 3, 2005, 10:31 PM

Hey everyone,

I just recently purchased a maxtor 200gb internal drive and a usb external enclosure. The problem I came across is that, I can never use it for both my mac and pc.

When I formatted it on my Powerbook, it works perfectly with my Powerbook alone. When I plugged it in my PC, it detects that there is a device connected, but it would not show up on the explorer to be used.

When I formatted the device on my PC, both my PC and Powerbook can detect the device properly, as I'm able to view and explore files on both platform. However, I can not write on it using my Powerbook.

Is there a way to go about this dilemna?

TimothyJay

mduell
Posting Junkie
Dec 3, 2005, 10:41 PM

Use your PowerBook to format it as FAT32 (instead of the default, HFS). Both platforms can read and write to a FAT32 partition.
I've heard that the performance of OSX's FAT32 driver is poor, but I can't confirm it.

TimothyJay  (op)
Dec 3, 2005, 11:06 PM

Is it too much to ask how to do that?

I just ask because I can't seem to find it. I'm running disk utility, and from what I normally do is just go to ERASE, and erase it. It does ask what volume format I should use, which has Mac Os Extended (Journaled, blank, case sensitive journal, case sensitive), MS-Dos File System , and Unix...

So I'm not sure what to do.

Please help =]

mduell
Posting Junkie
Dec 3, 2005, 11:24 PM

MS-DOS File System is another name for FAT32.

HTH HAND

Forum Links
Forum Rules