Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > Failed the Super Committee has

Failed the Super Committee has
OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 21, 2011, 06:59 PM

The so-called Super Committee has failed to reach an agreement by its deadline. I think we all know why. The Force is strong with Darth Norquist.

Consequently, automatic across the board spending cuts have been set in motion divided even between domestic and defense programs. Is anyone even remotely surprised? And is doing nothing the best option for deficit reduction since the Bush tax cuts expire at the end of 2012 anyway? Will allowing them to expire along with the automatic spending cuts that will go into effect in 2013 be the only way to get any sort of balanced deficit reduction plan in place?

'Super committee' fails to reach agreement - CNN.com

OAW

Dork.
Professional Poster
Nov 21, 2011, 07:13 PM

In other news:

- Water is wet!
- besson3c likes poop!
- the Bills suck!

(In other words, are you really surprised?)

OAW  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 21, 2011, 07:34 PM

Originally Posted by Dork. View Post
Oh not even a little bit.

And now President Obama is threatening to veto any attempts by Congress to get around the automatic budget cuts without reaching a balanced agreement.

Originally Posted by President Obama
I'll veto any effort to get rid of automatic spending cuts if Congress fails to reach a deficit deal.
Of course, they don't really take effect until 2013 so this is all more political theater.

OAW

BadKosh
Professional Poster
Nov 22, 2011, 10:17 AM

It was SUPPOSED TO FAIL. This gives Owe-bama a chance to blame the repubs for not raising taxes. If you think 12 guys could do this you are wrong. I'll bet if they bundled congressional wages in the mix they would have come up with something.

ebuddy
Posting Junkie
Nov 22, 2011, 01:04 PM

Originally Posted by BadKosh View Post
It was SUPPOSED TO FAIL. This gives Owe-bama a chance to blame the repubs for not raising taxes. If you think 12 guys could do this you are wrong. I'll bet if they bundled congressional wages in the mix they would have come up with something.
Oh that's just it, Republicans offered $300 billion in revenue, but unfortunately there wasn't enough punishment for the job creators or enough additional, proven wasteful stimulus in there to satisfy whatever secret pledge the Dems obviously made. For whatever reason, they refuse to accept the definition of cuts somehow believing that more stimulus fits into that neat little box.
ebuddy

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Nov 22, 2011, 01:10 PM

The Super Friends Committee was a deficient notion from the start. It was bound to fail. But now a large coalition of Congressman are greeting its failure as an opportunity to go much bigger-$4 trillion over ten years. We'll need a new president for any real cuts to come to pass, and it will take bold political leadership because the opposition will scream that such cuts will cause a whole new level of unemployment and doom for the average man. But if the country is going to be saved it has to be done.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

BadKosh
Professional Poster
Nov 22, 2011, 04:04 PM

How about 8 trillion in 10 years? AT LEAST!

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Nov 22, 2011, 04:18 PM

I'd love it, but I'll take $4 trillion over ten years plus a reasonable BBA.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Nov 22, 2011, 07:50 PM

Originally Posted by Big Mac View Post
bold political leadership
Good luck

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Nov 22, 2011, 07:54 PM

I'll do it!

Oh. Wait. I'm not from Nigeria. Can't.
Been inclined to wander... off the beaten track.
That's where there's thunder... and the wind shouts back.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Nov 23, 2011, 11:20 AM

Originally Posted by BadKosh View Post
It was SUPPOSED TO FAIL. This gives Owe-bama a chance to blame the repubs for not raising taxes.
And this is the answer to Obama on Russian TV:

First Russian Newscaster Gives Obama The Finger, Next President Gets Heckled At Home | ZeroHedge

-t

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Nov 23, 2011, 11:27 AM

Originally Posted by Dork. View Post
I'll admit I was, a little. Mostly due to those triggered cuts to defense spending if they failed, but now that I see they're such shameless hypocrites as to try to pass legislation to reneg on that, not so much.

Forum Links
Forum Rules