Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Still undecided even after my 17" purchase

Still undecided even after my 17" purchase
ctishue21
Sep 29, 2003, 12:53 PM

Excuse me while I get this off my chest. Feel free to provide any comments on my dilemma.

I picked up my 17" powerbook at the apple store last Friday. After using it for the weekend, I'm starting to think I bought way too much computer. I love the machine (got a perfect one with no dead pixels), but I think I might be able to live with a 12" hooked up to my ACD display which would cost me a lot less, obviously. I'd miss the radeon 9600 mobility though. Some would say go with the 15" as a compromise, but it really doesn't intrigue as much as the two extremes, 12" and 17"

I think I'll give it a couple more days before I do anything drastic. It's just so hard to tell what is going to work for me just handling the powerbooks in the store. They need to start renting them out!

Anyway, if you see a rev. b 17" in the marketplace forum this week, you'll know it's mine! (Pssssst I'll be giving a good deal cause I can't profit off my government purchase by the Apple rules. )

Kenstee
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 29, 2003, 01:23 PM

Originally posted by ctishue21:

I picked up my 17" powerbook at the apple store last Friday. Anyway, if you see a rev. b 17" in the marketplace forum this week, you'll know it's mine! (Pssssst I'll be giving a good deal cause I can't profit off my government purchase by the Apple rules. )
Hey, can't you just return it to the Apple Store within 10 days and trade it in for a 12"? Even if you need to pay a restocking fee you still might be better off.

parsec_kadets
Senior User
Sep 29, 2003, 01:25 PM

It might help if we knew what you're going to use the computer for. Overall I would agree with you, but I don't know if you're going to be doing anything that is CPU or GPU intensive. Another reason to consider sticking with the 17" is if you use any applications that have a lot of palettes. An example would be PhotoShop. I personally like it even for using Office as well, since those apps use palettes too.

Podolsky
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 29, 2003, 01:35 PM

I am in almost the same boat. I have a 17" coming on Friday and I keep wondering if the 15" would be better. I have used a TiBook for 2 years and loved it. I have seen both the new 17 and 15 and love them! I went with the 17 simply to try another one and while mobility is what it is all about, I felt I could handle the 17 no problem. Still, I wonder..........

My plan is to try it out, keep the order and see what I think. I know I can return it and I might.

The Placid Casual
Professional Poster
Sep 29, 2003, 02:00 PM

IIt is amazing how you realise things after you buy...

I went the other way and bought a 12" PB and decided it was just too small and didn't have the features I really wanted.

I only had it about 3 weeks before I sold it and bought a 15" Ti, which I find absolutely perfect and am absolutely in love with!...

Funny how these things turn out.

Peace,

Marc

CatOne
Mac Elite
Sep 29, 2003, 02:22 PM

Originally posted by ctishue21:
Excuse me while I get this off my chest. Feel free to provide any comments on my dilemma.

I picked up my 17" powerbook at the apple store last Friday. After using it for the weekend, I'm starting to think I bought way too much computer. I love the machine (got a perfect one with no dead pixels), but I think I might be able to live with a 12" hooked up to my ACD display which would cost me a lot less, obviously. ...
Note, you can't really hook up a 12" to an ACD. That's because the 12" has VGA out, not DVI out. So you'd need to find a DVI to ADC converter... and image quality would be teh suck.

pantalaimon
Forum Regular
Sep 29, 2003, 02:32 PM

does image quality with DVI to ADC really decline that much? If so it looks like i've made the best choice by getting icurve for my 15".
1.33GHz G4 iBook 12"

Peabo
Senior User
Sep 29, 2003, 02:35 PM

Originally posted by CatOne:
Note, you can't really hook up a 12" to an ACD. That's because the 12" has VGA out, not DVI out. So you'd need to find a DVI to ADC converter... and image quality would be teh suck.
Yes it does have DVI.
See for yourself
LC 16Mhz • LC 475 25Mhz • Centris 650 25Mhz • Performa 6200/75Mhz • G3 266Mhz • Snow iMac DVSE 500Mhz
G4 QS 733Mhz • 17" Powerbook 1.33Ghz • 15" MacBook Pro Core Duo 2.16Ghz • Mac Pro 8-Core 3.0 Ghz

bpd115
Forum Regular
Sep 29, 2003, 02:37 PM

The new 12 inch has mini DVI out and comes with a mini DVI to DVI cable.

ctishue21  (op)
Sep 29, 2003, 02:43 PM

Thanks for all the responses. The restocking fee at the Apple Store would be $299. I purchased the laptop for $2820 with tax, which I am sure I could make back on a brand new 17" 1.33GHZ laptop. (some lucky person who can't get the edu or gov discounts would probably jump on it)

As far as what I use a my mac for:

1) Normal web stuff

2) Some light photoshop, illustrator, and indesign

3) Games

4) Virtual PC for my older pc games that don't run correctly on a fast pc

I already have a DVI-ADC adapter to hook up to my 22" ACD at home. I really like the speed and video on the 17". I'm just wondering if I am going to notice the decrease a lot on the 12".

And it is amazing how your realize things after you buy something. I suggest Apple start an iTry program where someone can take a loaner machine from a store and leave their credit card info for security purposes, allowing them to try it out at home. With all the choices these days it would help a lot!

scott brown
Forum Regular
Sep 29, 2003, 02:53 PM

i bought a 17 and i absolutely love it. but, like you said, do I need it?

i always had a dual monitor setup (2 17inch 1280x1024) while in school because I did a lot of coding and a lot of pro audio stuff. the dual monitor setup gave me a way to throw work on one screen and have another screen for other stuff like email, the web, IM, Word, etc. I had an ibook/ (sold for)12 inch powerbook for portability

recently I realized that I didn't need a tower anymore with multiple pci slots, hard drive bays, all that, so I sold the aging G4 tower and monitors. I thought "why not get a 17 inch powerbook to replace the desktop?" the huge widescreen display would, i thought, be just like having the old dual monitor setup. well, i got it, the machine truly does rock, and I can't think of a single laptop I've ever seen that is as cool and can do as much as this

but do I need it? absolutely not. I probably should have gotten the 15, that would have served me fine. so now I have a few days old 17 inch which I'm in love with but that is probably, like the original post in this thread said "too much computer."

will I sell it? I can't return it since it's a BTO. If I sell now, i'll probably lose money, and for what? maybe I'll be one of those guys who holds on and sells for a 15 inch model when the g5 appears in it.
12in PB 867/640/60/SD/AE
17in PB 1.33/1GB/80(5400rpm)

ctishue21  (op)
Sep 29, 2003, 02:56 PM

I felt EXACTLY like you. I thought well my G4 tower is getting a little old now and I don't need a G5 tower, so why not replace it with a nice portable desktop replacement. It's not that the 17" is too big or too heavy. It's just that I'm thinking frugally about what I really need these days.

Podolsky
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 29, 2003, 04:34 PM

Seeing all the other conflicted folks out there make me feel like I have company. I decided to stop wringing my hands, wait for the 17 and consider myself VERY LUCKY to have such a fine machine coming my way. But, yes, I wonder if it is too much computer. I do development and while that doesn't in and of itself mean I need THE BIG ONE....It does mean that I spend a lot of time on it!

CrackedButter
Forum Regular
Sep 29, 2003, 04:42 PM

I cancelled my order thinking the same, i'm waiting to see how the 12" fairs and then i will buy when panther comes out. If its released in October.
"Absorb what is useful, discard what is not and add what is uniquely your own." - Bruce Lee

nagromme
Senior User
Sep 29, 2003, 05:43 PM

It's great to have 3 choices! Portability vs. screen space is a personal call.

One comfort, if you think you could have made do with less: the higher model will last you longer! When the day comes that the 12" starts to feel just too slow for some game, or the screen a bit too small... the 17" will still have some life in it. That extra cost that seems like a waste now will pay off near the end of the machine's useful life.

Buying higher-end computers less often than you'd buy lower-end ones really comes out similar in cost, in the long run. Both strategies have merits. One gives you a shiny new Mac more often. The other gives you something higher-end when it's new.
nagromme

KeriVit
Professional Poster
Sep 29, 2003, 10:14 PM

If you're not gonna drag this thing around everyday, for the stuff you're doing- I say keep the 17". If you're going to even attempt to layout a decent sized page/photo on a PB- you NEED the larger screen!

I have now grown to love the screen real estate when I really put the book to the test. Whether it be hobby work or work-work, the 17" is my choice for anything other than Microsoft.

I may take it to work every so often or on a trip. It's fine once you are where you want to be, especially if you want to impress...

But when it comes to daily portability- I'd stay with the 12".

power142
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 29, 2003, 10:21 PM

I bought a rev. A 17-inch and love it. Is it too much computer? Sure it is! Would I give it up for a smaller one? Hell no!

Last week I visited a nearby Apple store and tried out the 15-inch Albook and after using the 17 for a long time, and looking at the screen the 15 is just... erm... small!? I know it really isn't something to make a big deal over, but if you can live with the money issues, it really is a beautiful machine - give the Big Al a chance!

HasanDaddy
Forum Regular
Sep 29, 2003, 10:33 PM

The 17" isn't gonna get any lighter

plus, a 12" with DVI is pretty awesome

I think a 12", with a nice 23" display is pretty awesome

you have my endorsement

and btw --- the graphics card on the 12" isn't bad
"Government is not the solution, its the problem" --- Ronald Reagan

ctishue21  (op)
Sep 29, 2003, 10:36 PM

Still thinking about this decision. I tried to play a game on the way home on the train and the screen was just too close to the seat in front of me. Maybe I need both!

shabbasuraj
Mac Elite
Sep 29, 2003, 10:55 PM

if you do decide to sell the 17" how much would you let it go for...?

currently I have a 12" and love it... but I am in the market for a 17" for myself, so I can give the 12" to my girlfriend..

BTW 12" form factor is perfect....Apple got it right ... 'perfectly right' for mobile individuals...

lates...

ctishue21  (op)
Sep 29, 2003, 11:07 PM

If I did sell it, it would be for $2820, exactly what I paid for it. I can't profit off a government discount purchase. It's against Apple's rules.

If you are really interested send me email at ctishue AT mac.com. I'll be making my decision on whether to keep it or not within a day or two.

shabbasuraj
Mac Elite
Sep 29, 2003, 11:24 PM

where are you located? as I am trying to decide if it is cheaper via ADC...

lates...
( Last edited by shabbasuraj; Sep 29, 2003 at 11:30 PM. )

ctishue21  (op)
Sep 30, 2003, 08:55 AM

Live in WV, work in DC. Isn't ADC like 20% off? I'd think that would be much cheaper than my discount.

shabbasuraj
Mac Elite
Sep 30, 2003, 12:57 PM

yes i think it is...

thanks anyways...

PS: ahhh just keep the 17" I can't imagine anyone buying it for cost, if it is already used, regardless it being used for a few days...so keep it as I am sure you will learn to love it...

lates...

ctishue21  (op)
Sep 30, 2003, 01:24 PM

Originally posted by shabbasuraj:

PS: ahhh just keep the 17" I can't imagine anyone buying it for cost, if it is already used, regardless it being used for a few days...so keep it as I am sure you will learn to love it...
Haha actually that is the way I am leaning today. I like the machine way too much to let the cost and the cramped space on the train keep me down. Indecision is so fun!

danbrew
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 30, 2003, 07:13 PM

The grass is always greener...

ctishue21  (op)
Sep 30, 2003, 09:34 PM

Originally posted by danbrew:
The grass is always greener...
Isn't that the truth. This happens every time I buy something. If I get the more expensive model I think I should have gotten the cheaper model and vice versa. It happened not 6 months ago when I bought my car.

Forum Links
Forum Rules