Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Adobe Reader in Panther, what gives?

Adobe Reader in Panther, what gives?
Hawkeye
Forum Regular
Oct 25, 2003, 09:08 AM

Is it just my setup, or does Adobe Reader 6 not work in Panther?

Please don't say anything useless like, "Don't use that terrible app." I need SOMETHING that can edit a PDF form, and Apple's Preview WON'T do that.

Just let me know if I've screwed something up. OR If you know how to get Preview to edit a PDF form, I'd love to hear that. No need to have Adobe's big, slow, bulky app sitting around if Preview really CAN do what I need it to do.

Thanks, I'm already appreciating your useful suggestions.

lookmark
Mac Elite
Oct 25, 2003, 10:11 AM

No problem running Acrobat 6 here.

Have you tried fixing permissions / deleting Acrobat preferences / reinstalling Acrobat?

CatOne
Mac Elite
Oct 25, 2003, 02:54 PM

Originally posted by Hawkeye:
Is it just my setup, or does Adobe Reader 6 not work in Panther?

Please don't say anything useless like, "Don't use that terrible app." I need SOMETHING that can edit a PDF form, and Apple's Preview WON'T do that.

Just let me know if I've screwed something up. OR If you know how to get Preview to edit a PDF form, I'd love to hear that. No need to have Adobe's big, slow, bulky app sitting around if Preview really CAN do what I need it to do.

Thanks, I'm already appreciating your useful suggestions.
It ran okay for me. But I deleted it, because it took 10 seconds to launch versus Preview, and the piece of crap insisted on taking 100% of the screen at launch, even on a 23" Cinema display. WTF?

JLL
Professional Poster
Oct 26, 2003, 06:49 AM

Originally posted by CatOne:
It ran okay for me. But I deleted it, because it took 10 seconds to launch versus Preview,
You do know that you can turn off many of the plug-ins, don't you?
JLL

- My opinions may have changed, but not the fact that I am right.

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Oct 26, 2003, 07:05 AM

Originally posted by JLL:
You do know that you can turn off many of the plug-ins, don't you?
yep - it's still crap though.
I could take Sean Connery in a fight... I could definitely take him.

JLL
Professional Poster
Oct 26, 2003, 07:07 AM

Originally posted by voodoo:
yep - it's still crap though.

Don't you have anything better to do?
JLL

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Oct 26, 2003, 07:13 AM

Originally posted by JLL:

Don't you have anything better to do?
might ask you the same question. nobody cares about disabling plugins, let alone figuring out how

The Preview in Panther kicks Adobe Reader ass to next the century. But here you are apologizing Adobe Reader. Tsk tsk.

JLL
Professional Poster
Oct 26, 2003, 07:24 AM

might ask you the same question. nobody cares about disabling plugins, let alone figuring out how
Geez, how old are you? 10?

The Preview in Panther kicks Adobe Reader ass to next the century. But here you are apologizing Adobe Reader. Tsk tsk.
Giving tips = apologizing? Go **** yourself and leave me alone - I'm really getting tired of you!! I didn't think I ever needed the Ignore List, but it's now in use.
JLL

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Oct 26, 2003, 08:13 AM

You are just an IT tech. Your Adobe Reader apologies only reflect how incredibly detatched you are from real users that have to _use_ pdf documents and realize that the best reader is not from Adobe.

On another note I am glad that you use the ignore list so I don't have to put up with your apologetic brainwashed comments. IMO
( Last edited by voodoo; Oct 26, 2003 at 03:18 PM. )

pliny
Mac Elite
Oct 26, 2003, 10:29 AM

Is copenhagen colder than reykjavik or is it the other way around?
i look in your general direction

ryaxnb
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 26, 2003, 02:13 PM

Uh, try some useful suggestions, not stuff about it stinking (didn't he ask for that?")
Trainiable is to cat as ability to live without food is to human.
Steveis... said: "What would scammers do with this info..." talking about a debit card number!

Uday's Carcass
Senior User
Location: Frozen storage at Area 51, wrapped in pigskin. My damned soul is never getting out of the Great Satan.
Oct 26, 2003, 02:25 PM

voodoodoo's a notorious prick. Ignore him.

Thanks for the plugins tip JLL.

Linfidels harken! 'The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which.'

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Oct 26, 2003, 03:19 PM

Oh carcass - you've been reported. Yet again ...

Uday's Carcass
Senior User
Location: Frozen storage at Area 51, wrapped in pigskin. My damned soul is never getting out of the Great Satan.
Oct 26, 2003, 03:49 PM

Oh carcass - you've been reported. Yet again ...
whatever. You were being a prick. I think I'll report that.

Linfidels harken! 'The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which.'

pliny
Mac Elite
Oct 26, 2003, 05:13 PM

i look in your general direction

fetopher
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 26, 2003, 05:42 PM

You are just an IT tech. Your Adobe Reader apologies only reflect how incredibly detatched you are from real users that have to _use_ pdf documents and realize that the best reader is not from Adobe.

On another note I am glad that you use the ignore list so I don't have to put up with your apologetic brainwashed comments. IMO
And you're just a scientist right? Sheesh, you don't know a thing about the realm in which Acrobat Pro is meant for, professional graphic design. I happen to work in such a field and cannot live without Acrobat Reader (Pro). Now, I understand that for the average user who just wants to view PDFs, Preview is quicker and less bloated. However, if you want to *do* anything at all to that PDF, you're gonna need Acrobat. It's funny how I am increasingly finding voodoo's posts misinformed. Head back to the lab my friend, you've got us all beat there.
Me
Dual 2.6GHz Intel Xeon | 23" Apple Cinema Display | 13" MacBook | 15" AluBook 1.67 GHz | 1.42 GHz Mac mini | 50" NEC Plasma | Tiger | 80GB iPod Video | 60GB iPod photo | 4GB iPod mini | 1GB iPod shuffle | 4GB iPod nano

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Oct 26, 2003, 05:58 PM

Originally posted by fetopher:
And you're just a scientist right? Sheesh, you don't know a thing about the realm in which Acrobat Pro is meant for, professional graphic design. I happen to work in such a field and cannot live without Acrobat Reader (Pro). Now, I understand that for the average user who just wants to view PDFs, Preview is quicker and less bloated. However, if you want to *do* anything at all to that PDF, you're gonna need Acrobat. It's funny how I am increasingly finding voodoo's posts misinformed. Head back to the lab my friend, you've got us all beat there.
OK to prevent further misunderstanding:

1) There is no such thing as 'Adobe Reader Pro'. I'm sorry - when we are discussing the 'Adobe Reader' we are talking about the standalone *free* pdf reader offered by Adobe. As such it is perfectly comparable with OS X Preview that Apple makes. You are thinking of the Adobe Acrobat Suite of tools, indispensible for every graphic designer.

http://www.adobe.com/products/acrobatpro/main.html

and the slightly cheaper 'standard' edition:

http://www.adobe.com/products/acrobatstd/main.html

I (and indeed we) are talking about Adobe Reader, free of charge, see here:

http://www.adobe.com/products/acrobat/readstep2.html

2) I just wanted to make this clear, since us scientists rely on pdfs as a common platform to share articles and other publications. You would be 100% correct that we don't know nor have to know anything about Adobe Acrobat Pro/Standard All we need is a good pdf reader app and it so happens Preview in Panther beats the snot out of Adobe Reader, both of which are free.

I hope you don't take offense at this little ramble, but I wanted to make sure we were talking on the same level here.

fetopher
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 26, 2003, 06:16 PM

OK to prevent further misunderstanding:

1) There is no such thing as 'Adobe Reader Pro'. I'm sorry - when we are discussing the 'Adobe Reader' we are talking about the standalone *free* pdf reader offered by Adobe. As such it is perfectly comparable with OS X Preview that Apple makes. You are thinking of the Adobe Acrobat Suite of tools, indispensible for every graphic designer.

http://www.adobe.com/products/acrobatpro/main.html

and the slightly cheaper 'standard' edition:

http://www.adobe.com/products/acrobatstd/main.html

I (and indeed we) are talking about Adobe Reader, free of charge, see here:

http://www.adobe.com/products/acrobat/readstep2.html

2) I just wanted to make this clear, since us scientists rely on pdfs as a common platform to share articles and other publications. You would be 100% correct that we don't know nor have to know anything about Adobe Acrobat Pro/Standard All we need is a good pdf reader app and it so happens Preview in Panther beats the snot out of Adobe Reader, both of which are free.

I hope you don't take offense at this little ramble, but I wanted to make sure we were talking on the same level here.

I'm in 100% agreement with you. Fine post.
Me
Dual 2.6GHz Intel Xeon | 23" Apple Cinema Display | 13" MacBook | 15" AluBook 1.67 GHz | 1.42 GHz Mac mini | 50" NEC Plasma | Tiger | 80GB iPod Video | 60GB iPod photo | 4GB iPod mini | 1GB iPod shuffle | 4GB iPod nano

ThinkInsane
Moderator Emeritus
Oct 26, 2003, 06:45 PM

You guys wanna get over the petty personal crap and have a discussion on software, or do you want me to just lock the thread so everyone can get on with their lives?

Personal attacks are verboten, so knock it off. Yes, that doeas include calling people pricks...
Nemo me impune lacesset

TheMosco
Mac Elite
Oct 26, 2003, 07:19 PM

adobe Reader works for me in Panther. Although preview is faster as mentioned above, you can't use it too fill out forms. You can't save filled out forms with the free version of adobe Reader although you can still fill stuff out and print. You might want to try re-installing or something.

voodoo, was all that really necessary? You claim the program is crap because you scientists need something that can read the documents which preview does better. However, the original poster made it clear that he needed to edit PDFs which using your program review style would make preview crap.

Forum Links
Forum Rules