Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > The Kid Is Alright

The Kid Is Alright
daimoni
Occasionally Quoted
Oct 24, 2003, 06:07 PM

( Last edited by daimoni; Sep 6, 2004 at 11:44 AM. )

spacefreak
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 24, 2003, 09:13 PM

Do you have an opinion on the matter - one that is your own - or are you simply going to let Mr. Rall speak for you?

Airline security is such a complex matter. If the extent of security breaches on airlines is this, then I can deal with that. The cockpit doors are locked now and pilots are armed. I wonder why Rall doesn't mention these hijacking hinderances at all. Probably because he couldn't make his poin .

Hopefully 9/11 has instilled a vigilance in people to realize that 50-200 passengers can take out and restrain 3-5 aggressors armed with box cutters.

ZackS
Banned
Oct 24, 2003, 09:22 PM

Very true Space, if anything came out of 9/11 it's passengers who are not afraid to restrain suspicious individuals. Let's chill back on crucifying airport security (and maybe allow people their nail clippers back). As for the bleach and explosives, luggage checks and poor isolation of potentially sensitive areas, airports seriously need to crack down on that.

spacefreak
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 24, 2003, 09:37 PM

Originally posted by ZackS:
As for the bleach and explosives, luggage checks and poor isolation of potentially sensitive areas, airports seriously need to crack down on that.
i don't see how it can be done.

Can screeners really search every passenger's anal cavity looking for plastic explosive? Can screeners really check each and every container of liquid (contact lens cleaner, eye drops, mouthwash, toothpaste, etc)? Do you just outlaw containers altogether?

What they can do is secure those panels in the bathrooms so that passengers can't just remove a panel and store the items like this kid did.

daimoni  (op)
Occasionally Quoted
Oct 27, 2003, 12:04 AM

( Last edited by daimoni; Sep 6, 2004 at 11:45 AM. )

Uday's Carcass
Senior User
Location: Frozen storage at Area 51, wrapped in pigskin. My damned soul is never getting out of the Great Satan.
Oct 27, 2003, 12:44 AM

I've flown to and from Europe on many occasions. heathrow, zurich, frankfurt, amsterdam, etc., and their visible security doesn't look any better.

what do they do differently under the hood?

Linfidels harken! 'The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which.'

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 27, 2003, 02:32 AM

Originally posted by Uday's Carcass:
I've flown to and from Europe on many occasions. heathrow, zurich, frankfurt, amsterdam, etc., and their visible security doesn't look any better.

what do they do differently under the hood?
Nonsense.

There is a huge difference in visible security in the US and Europe. Fly to Heathrow from anywhere in Europe and all the luggage is X-Rayed and checked for explosives. All hand luggage is routinely checked for explosives as well. Air side security is extremely tight in comparison to the US airports I've been to recently (NY and Chicago).

In the US an airport feels like a bus station. I always used to like that because it was less hassle. For obvious reasons I now prefer the European approach.

BlackGriffen
Professional Poster
Oct 27, 2003, 03:18 AM

Did they ever install reinforced cockpit doors, or is it still 'too expensive?'

BG

eklipse
Professional Poster
Oct 27, 2003, 07:09 AM

Originally posted by Mastrap:
Nonsense.

There is a huge difference in visible security in the US and Europe. Fly to Heathrow from anywhere in Europe and all the luggage is X-Rayed and checked for explosives. All hand luggage is routinely checked for explosives as well. Air side security is extremely tight in comparison to the US airports I've been to recently (NY and Chicago).

In the US an airport feels like a bus station. I always used to like that because it was less hassle. For obvious reasons I now prefer the European approach.
That's why a friend of mine recently travelled from Heathrow to JFK with a 15" metal screwdriver in his hand luggage - and didn't even realize he had it with him until he unpacked.

christ
Professional Poster
Oct 27, 2003, 07:22 AM

Originally posted by eklipse:
That's why a friend of mine recently travelled from Heathrow to JFK with a 15" metal screwdriver in his hand luggage - and didn't even realize he had it with him until he unpacked.
I think that point was that visible security leads to a feeling of well-being. If your intent is to convince passengers that they are safe, then the presence of lots of visible security reinforces that perception. This may be a bad thing, but it seems to put folk more at ease.
Chris. T.

"... in 6 months if WMD are found, I hope all clear-thinking people who opposed the war will say "You're right, we were wrong -- good job". Similarly, if after 6 months no WMD are found, people who supported the war should say the same thing -- and move to impeach Mr. Bush." - moki, 04/16/03

Forum Links
Forum Rules