Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Just bought an iMac... goodbye Xp!

Just bought an iMac... goodbye Xp!
Ratm
Mac Elite
Sep 22, 2005, 03:05 PM

It's almost been a year since I've touched or used a Mac. Since moving to the west coast took a big chunk out of my savings I couldn't purchase Mac for myself and had to use what ever was available. Which usually meant Wintel. But I've been working hard and saving my pennies and I ordered a iMac 1.8 Ghz 17" with Superdrive for the low, low price of only $999! The person that helped me place my order told me that he has the same iMac except he paid $1500 for his. Nice guy, I thanked him about a hundred times. Apple has great deals in it's refurbished section. I don't care that it's a refurb model, the only thing that I care about is that I'm back with Apple and I don't have to use Xp anymore.

It's been a nightmare having to use Xp let me tell you. But now I'm free! FREE!! Just wanted to share my good news. It arrives tomorrow! I think I'm going to have to call in sick.

This bit of news just made my day.
Flash 8 dramatic speed increase with Safari
( Last edited by Ratm; Sep 22, 2005 at 03:23 PM. )

PacHead
Baninated
Sep 22, 2005, 03:11 PM

Congrats ! It doesn't matter that it's a refurb, I purchased a refurb machine from Apple a long time ago also, and it was as good as new and has the same warranty. I've never tried an iMac 1.8 but I'm sure it's a fairly decent machine and way more powerful than other Macs that are a few years old. $999 for a machine with superdrive is not bad at all.

Ratm  (op)
Mac Elite
Sep 22, 2005, 03:17 PM

Thank you. Yea and I could care less that it's a refurb. The Mac that I was using back in N.Y. was a blue & white G3! So it will indeed be powerful... to me at least

Atomic Rooster
Sep 22, 2005, 03:59 PM

Let us know How the LCD screen is.

Dead or ****ed up pixels?

Ratm  (op)
Mac Elite
Sep 22, 2005, 04:14 PM

Damn it! She told me it was going to be delivered tomorrow but she was mistaken. It will get here Monday. Oh well. AR, I'll let you know.

Anyone have any good games they'd like to recommend?

jaydon34
Senior User
Sep 22, 2005, 04:22 PM

Congrats on the mac Im looking to get a G5 soon nice
myflickr : mytwitter : twentyonethirty
17" Macbook Pro 2.6Ghz 4gb 200GB HD: 8gb Iphone 3g: Hp Mini 1000 Netbook

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Sep 22, 2005, 04:31 PM

Welcome back to the community.

-t

sek929
Posting Junkie
Sep 22, 2005, 04:31 PM

Without XP you may be tempted to engange in other sado-masochistic activities to fill the void. Stay strong

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Sep 22, 2005, 05:22 PM

Originally Posted by sek929
Without XP you may be tempted to engange in other sado-masochistic activities to fill the void. Stay strong
I have a suggestion: arguing about Christians and gays here at MacNN

-t

Ratm  (op)
Mac Elite
Sep 22, 2005, 05:34 PM

Originally Posted by sek929
Too late.

davesimondotcom
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 22, 2005, 05:40 PM

james9490 will be crushed to learn of your departure from XP...
[ sig removed - image host changed it to a big ad picture ]

kmkkid
Professional Poster
Sep 22, 2005, 05:52 PM

Let me congratulate you, and also join in on the 'switch' thread. I've been using OS X as my main OS for a month now, though it's not on mac hardware. But that's not the point now is it?

budster101
Baninated
Location: Illinois might be cold and flat, but at least it's ugly.
Sep 22, 2005, 08:31 PM

Welcome to your new life as a Mac user, and I'm sorry you came here to start it off.. beware of Rob.

Ratm  (op)
Mac Elite
Sep 22, 2005, 09:57 PM

Originally Posted by kmkkid
Let me congratulate you, and also join in on the 'switch' thread. I've been using OS X as my main OS for a month now, though it's not on mac hardware. But that's not the point now is it?

*Points finger* "Not one of us!"

But um... some cool game recommendations! Hook me up. What's good now on the Mac. Thanks.
( Last edited by Ratm; Sep 22, 2005 at 11:16 PM. )

loki74
Mac Elite
Sep 22, 2005, 11:14 PM

Originally Posted by davesimondotcom
james9490 will be crushed to learn of your departure from XP...
Damn! Got it in before me!

Ratm: Congrats on the purchase! I still remember when I first switched... oh how ecstatic I was. I cannot image how painful it must have been for you to be forced off of your Mac onto XP. But I guess what matters now is that you are "free!"

"In a world without walls or fences, what need have we for windows or gates?"

historylme
Mac Elite
Sep 22, 2005, 11:49 PM

Yeah, that sucks to be limited to use XP. Ah, the HORROR! I would have gone crazy... sh!t I can't even think it.... aaaaahhhh!

*breathing into a bag*

Ah, welcome back brotha. Make yourself at home and post away.

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 23, 2005, 01:24 AM

Welcome back ....to the darrrkkkk sideeee.

Good choice. ive got my heart set on the same model and am saving up for one right now. Keep us posted on the quality of the LCD.

Cheers

Tesseract
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 23, 2005, 01:42 AM

Originally Posted by kmkkid
I've been using OS X as my main OS for a month now, though it's not on mac hardware.
PearPC? Or ...

kmkkid
Professional Poster
Sep 23, 2005, 02:29 AM

Originally Posted by Tesseract
PearPC? Or ...
No, not pearpc. OS X on my HP.

Ratm  (op)
Mac Elite
Sep 25, 2005, 01:28 AM

I also just bought an Airport Extreeem Card and the El Gato 200! *Dances around like a little girl in a pink dress*

Anyone here have one? Is it as good as they say it is?

mojo2
Professional Poster
Sep 25, 2005, 02:37 AM

Originally Posted by Ratm
*Points finger* "Not one of us!"

Not to get political outside of the "playpen" but just to help a brother out, people might think you are a liberal when you make comments like that.
Give petty people just a little bit of power and watch how they misuse it! You can't silence the self doubt, can you?

Ratm  (op)
Mac Elite
Sep 26, 2005, 04:46 PM

Well it arrived! Took some pics(disposable cam ) It's the badest MOFO on the planet! I've seen iMacs in Apple stores and other places and played around with them, thought it was nice but what I trully want was a dual G5!!! Until I had it in my home on my desk, setup and ready to go did I notice just how perfect in fits into your life and everything around it. It's beautiful and it's all mine.

Not one dead pixal! Everything is in working order. Even played some cool games for kids that came pre installed. Man it's good to be back on the Mac. Thanks again for the warm welcome.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Sep 26, 2005, 05:38 PM

Well it arrived! Took some pics(disposable cam ) It's the badest MOFO on the planet! I've seen iMacs in Apple stores and other places and played around with them, thought it was nice but what I trully want was a dual G5!!! Until I had it in my home on my desk, setup and ready to go did I notice just how perfect in fits into your life and everything around it. It's beautiful and it's all mine.

Not one dead pixal! Everything is in working order. Even played some cool games for kids that came pre installed. Man it's good to be back on the Mac. Thanks again for the warm welcome.
Dude, you're not officially part of the Mac community until you post pictures of yourself opening the boxes.

"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

historylme
Mac Elite
Sep 26, 2005, 05:54 PM

Don't forget the freeware and to post some pics of it. Although we all know what it looks like, it's cool to see it in the individual "wild."

cheery7upper
Forum Regular
Sep 26, 2005, 06:09 PM

How many days did it take you to recieve yours? I ordered my ibook on saturday... I'm SO excited!

Ratm  (op)
Mac Elite
Sep 27, 2005, 02:59 AM

Two days as promised. I have to develop the film! Does anyone still use film cameras? I'm going to do it tomorrow and have them load it up on a CD for me. The iMac gives me a good excuse to buy a digi cam now.

I'm still waiting for my Airport Extreeem Card and the El Gato 200. The conversion is complete!

Congrats Cherry7upper. When I bought my white iBook G3 ($1500 back then) I was on a high for days. What I love most of all is the new Apple smell... God, I really love the aroma of that new Apple smell.
( Last edited by Ratm; Sep 27, 2005 at 03:08 AM. )

Ratm  (op)
Mac Elite
Sep 27, 2005, 03:05 AM

Originally Posted by olePigeon
Dude, you're not officially part of the Mac community until you post pictures of yourself opening the boxes.

You'd have to chase me down and pin me to the floor to take my picture! I'm not putting this ugly mugg on the net for nuttin.

Cubeoid
Baninated
Sep 27, 2005, 03:18 AM

Wear a mask, we just want to see the boxes.

Ratm  (op)
Mac Elite
Sep 27, 2005, 03:42 AM

See this is why I love Apple. I have the iMac up to date and ready to go--all I need is my wireless card and I'm done. The internet setup is the last thing I thought I needed to configure. I was using my roommates PC for internet access. They're gone for a week and the connection is just sitting there not being used. I thought I'd configure the iMac real quick (no idea what I'm doing) and test out Safari and surf the net again but as a Mac user. So I disconnect the either net from the back of his HP to the iMac and I make my way to System Preferences and check Networking. And before I could even blink, it's showing me an IP address with a green light and it's a GO! ****ing **** that was easy. I freaking love you Steve and who ever else is responsible j/k Thank you Apple computer for making this the a great reunion.

Check spelling as you type is freakin awesome! And Safari is faster than IE on his HP 3.0Ghz! Holy ****! I'm doing a ton of updating with software update. The dictionary feature is also very cool. This is one of the features that Yahoo toolbar has that Google's didn't and why I chose to use Yahoo instead. It's a buggy piece of software but it did the job. And Windows and IE are total garbage. This one year away from Apple has shown this faithful user that there is no competition. I will never stray or be tempted again.
( Last edited by Ratm; Sep 27, 2005 at 03:54 AM. )

Chris O'Brien
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 27, 2005, 04:12 AM

So I disconnect the either net from the back of his HP to the iMac and I make my way to System Preferences and check Networking. And before I could even blink, it's showing me an IP address with a green light and it's a GO! ****ing **** that was easy.
Ah, the wonders of DHCP.

Welcome back
Just who are Britain? What do they? Who is them? And why?

Formerly Black Book

cheery7upper
Forum Regular
Sep 28, 2005, 03:31 PM

Congrats Cherry7upper. When I bought my white iBook G3 ($1500 back then) I was on a high for days. What I love most of all is the new Apple smell... God, I really love the aroma of that new Apple smell.
I am so excited... Arghh! but soo annoyed because I ordered it last saturday and it won't arrive till friday :-P also a bit sad because my sony cybershot was stolen from my car and now I have no way to take pictures or anything of that nature

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 28, 2005, 05:22 PM

Originally Posted by olePigeon

we just care about the photos of the box, not the person

ratm, nice purchase, i have one at home and my 15" powerbook. the imac was an impulse purchase, but i don't regret it. it's amazing.

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Sep 29, 2005, 05:10 AM

I just ordered a 20" iMac 2Ghz to complement my rev A 17". It's a great computer, but for tasks that require a little more power (Motion) I got the iMac. Can't wait until it arrives (along with my 60GB iPod )!

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

Rob van dam
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 29, 2005, 05:54 AM

To all the happy imac owners like myself.If you happen to run into problems with applecare you can do what one individual who helped me out when dealing with applecare while dealing with his own problems.

it's funny i guess

http://img186.echo.cx/my.php?image=tiger4vb.jpg

pity he didnt go through with it
Apple an innovator in a world of Immitators.
And thats the bottom line!!!!!!!!!

Ratm  (op)
Mac Elite
Sep 29, 2005, 06:04 AM

Rob I'll let you know if anything happens to my beautiful iMac. I received my Airport Express today. I'm browsing the net and listening to TWIT while using Azureus downloading *cough* movie*cough* It's a dream...

Rob van dam
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 29, 2005, 06:20 AM

Rob I'll let you know if anything happens to my beautiful iMac. I received my Airport Express today. I'm browsing the net and listening to TWIT while using Azureus downloading *cough* movie*cough* It's a dream...

hey congrat's. finger's crossed nothing happens.If all else fails. you can still get the tiger suite and finish of that guys unfinished work.
Apple an innovator in a world of Immitators.
And thats the bottom line!!!!!!!!!

Forum Links
Forum Rules