Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > icq 2.5 problems

icq 2.5 problems
rhino_g3
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 27, 2001, 10:30 PM

I have used icq 2.0b1 beta for a year and it has worked great for me. A few weeks ago I downloaded icq 2.5 and have had nothing but trouble. It greys out the controls making them unusable unless I quit the program and open it again. Also my pc using friends say when sending me a message their message window doesn't disappear after sending my message but when I use my old icq this doesn't happen. It just plain acts screwy. Any help on how to work out the bugs will be appreciated.

rhino_g3

bleen
Senior User
Feb 28, 2001, 02:35 AM

Try Gerry's ICQ: http://www.gerryicq.com It's a lot nicer then the official ICQ. It's also carbonized.

iMacMike
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 28, 2001, 05:02 PM

I DL'd Gerry's ICQ but it wouldn't import the v2.5 beta database index correctly. I have a large buddy list and didn't want to hassle with requesting authorizations again. At least the 2.5 beta will chat and send/recieve files, something v2.0 would rarely do for me. Overall, 2.5 is an improvement I think.

I still wish some enterprising programming genius out there would build us an app that will work on ICQ, MSN, Yahoo, and AOL's networks. Launch once, instant message everywhere? Probably not possible since they are all predatory and proprietary.
--
"I work, I play, iMac!"

blizzard
Moderator Emeritus
Mar 3, 2001, 07:52 PM

I have had the same problems with the official client, as well as one additional one: every once in a while, someone will message me, and I won't be able to get rid of the message; it just says 'view next' again and again ad infinitum. Doesn't go away until I quit. Quite annoying. I still like the 'check email' feature in the Mirabilis version, though. Wish GICQ had it.

I agree with Mike, too; I wish someone would come up with something like "Fire" for Classic Mac OS which would handle all those other services as well.

Blizzard.
Living, working, and freezing in the Canadian north.

RedJack
Mar 3, 2001, 08:54 PM

I've had a few problems with the official client too, and Gerry's ICQ just doesn't work reliably, which is too bad as I like the interface better. Mirabalis' client has had such fun bugs as crashing every time I tried to reply to a message, I think it took 9 tries before that cut out. Blizzard, as to your problem, have you tried reading the message through the history? I had a similar problem on the last(?) version, where an old message reappeared as unread, and any attempt to read it crashed the client. Selecting the person in question, opening history, and then opening the newest message(the offending one) brought it up safely, and it became 'read' after that. Hmmm, fire sounds like what I want, one stable, reliable client to handle all messaging clients. Let me tell you, with just a 12in screen on my iBook, I'd like a few less windows.

Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 8, 2001, 06:29 PM

Yes, I have contacted Mirabilis about the PC canceling messages thing. The first time they couldn't understand what I was trying to say, any subsequent times, they just don't care.

------------------
www.2077.org
Go there.
www.2077.org
Go there.

DocWest
Senior User
Mar 8, 2001, 10:24 PM

I had problems with 2.3a and 2.5.
When i opened messages, nothing would show up, but the words were still there. You, know the speech thing would read it out, but it was like white text on white background. damn annoying.

but that doesn't happen in 2.0b1. so i'm still using this version.

Forum Links
Forum Rules