Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Create MD5 Checksums of files on DVD

Create MD5 Checksums of files on DVD
druber
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 30, 2005, 04:32 PM

Here's the story. I'm ripping my CD collection to Apple Lossless files (and LAME-encoded MP3s) and adding in the artwork. After this much work, I want to back up the files to DVDs so that I don't have to do it again if a hard drive goes south. I'm creating MD5 checksums as I go, but I'd like to be able to verify the on-disk contents as well, without copying them all off the DVD to create the checksums. I have to do that now, because the apps I've tried (like checksum+) try to write the resulting MD5 text file into that directory, which obviously it can't do to a read-only disc. Any thoughts on an elegant way to make sure that burned discs are verified as accurate, after the fact?
Help find a cure for Malaria: crunch D2OL for Team Macnn.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Nov 30, 2005, 04:48 PM

Have you tried using the MD5 command?
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

druber  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 30, 2005, 04:55 PM

I tried waving an old ADB mouse around, but none of my muttered commands had any effect.

If you're talking about a terminal, that's a real dark area for me. I've tried to follow these directions, and maybe I just need to swap the ~/checksum.txt for a specific location. But I don't know enough to know how, and learning terminal commands sits real low on my list of life goals. Am I actually pretty close?

druber  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 30, 2005, 04:57 PM

[double post]

Forum Links
Forum Rules