Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Auto convert Lossless to mp3 when tranfering to Ipod

Auto convert Lossless to mp3 when tranfering to Ipod
morffius
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 16, 2006, 11:33 PM

Hi guys. I tried to search for this, but to tell you the truth I dont know what to look for. I want to keep my library in iTunes filled with all my Lossless audio, but when I plug in my ipod mini and transfer songs I want them to be downconverted so I can fit more audio on the pod. I know this can be done in windows with Anapod explorer, but I need an OSX solution.

Thanks guys.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Jul 17, 2006, 12:41 AM

iTunes will do this if you have a shuffle, but I haven't seen any hacks to get it to do it with any iPod.

I'm not sure why they intentionally cripple it; even M$ will do it with any player (except, obviously, the iPod) in WMP.

druber
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 18, 2006, 04:45 PM

I'm in a similar spot, to the extent that I listen to Lossless files at home but need MP3s for my iPod or the MP3 player in my car's head unit. For how much space it takes to store MP3s, comparitively, they're not a lot of extra burden. Also, since I'm using LAME to rip to MP3, conversion times are pretty slow.

I've opted, for the time being, at least, to keep both in my iTunes library. I created a smart playlist that shows only my Lossless files and is just as easy to browse as the main library. And a smart playlist of MP3s for the iPod and audio streaming around the house. I'm not saying it's the most graceful solution, but sorting by kind makes it actually very easy to play or transfer the correct file. There are more complex solutions out there, but this at least has KISS on its side.
Help find a cure for Malaria: crunch D2OL for Team Macnn.

Forum Links
Forum Rules